PDA

View Full Version : no oil around cam

pairanutz
05-15-2003, 09:10 PM
i just put my 440 kit in my 00 400ex-it has je piston -web cam over sized valves-hard rockers- ect....
when i started it it sounded like valves ticking -so i adjusted them again set them .003 intake -.005 exhaust like web said too-still ticking so ran it to see if valves werent seated yet -took off rockes caps to check rockers again and there was no oil any were around cam or rockers-so i started it up with caps off and couldnt see any oil coming into the head

has any one else had this trouble or no what it could be:(

funluckey
05-16-2003, 06:29 AM
from when they installed your sleeve and bored it there might be shavings down inside the oil passage in the cylinder that didn't get cleaned out. there is only that one passage that oils the top of the head, cam, ect...

funluckey
05-16-2003, 10:01 AM
one other thing, did you put the cam bearings on their right sides the one that is sealed goes on the cam chain side.

MIKE400EX
05-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Did you use a sealer of sorts on the base or head gasket? If you did, too much might have clogged the passageway. Might want to crack open the oil line that goes to the cooler just to see if you have ANY oil circulating. Don't run it any more until you find the problem.

pairanutz
05-16-2003, 08:45 PM
no i didnt use any gasket sealer on any gaskets -i tried the oil line thing its pumping oil just not to my head-funlucky why would it matter on those bearings just wondering -this is the 3rd 400 motor ive done -caint figure this one out -do those gaskets have holes for oil to go up top -i never noticed -tearin motor back down unless some one has great words of wisdom before sun nite-to mad at it to work on it now any way-thanks :mad:

MIKE400EX
05-17-2003, 01:14 AM
There is a sealed bearing on the sprocket side so that the oil coming in will fill up the cavity (on the sprocket side) and then be forced thru the center of the cam and out the lobe holes. Before you tear it apart, take the filter cover and rocker covers off and see if you can blow air thru the passageway - maybe that will clear it out. Another thought: When you take the rocker cover off is there oil in that pocket on the sprocket side? If so then maybe there's something in the cam blocking the oil flow. :confused:

funluckey
05-17-2003, 02:50 AM
Like Mike said if the bearings are on the wrong side the oil will just fall right back down the cam chain opening and not go through the cam.

Castor-426ex
05-17-2003, 03:04 AM
you are also supposed to fill up the bearing cavity with oil prior to reassembly....i think it helps prime the system

bradley300
05-17-2003, 05:19 AM
is your oil filter in backwards? that happened to my friends 300, oil filter was in backwards, no oil got into the head, and he ground flat spots on the rockers.

pairanutz
05-28-2003, 08:05 PM
thanks -the right side bearing was in backwards (sealed side was to the inside not the outside)would have never caught that -i was going to tear it all the way back down -its pumping oil and runs great- thanks again for the help:o