PDA

View Full Version : Extremely hard to find NEUTRAL!?!?!?

tkatc
05-15-2003, 04:58 PM
On my last ride it was very very hard to find neutral. I would somethimes have to get off the bike and shift it by hand to get it into neutral. My clutch is very hard to pull and I am planning on replacing it. I know it is not the cable because I already took that off to check it. Everything seems to shift OK but finding neutral is beginning to be a pain. Any suggestions?

Colby@C&DRacing
05-15-2003, 06:35 PM
It is possibly a notchy clutch basket but try chaining your oil first and see if that helps.

AndrewRRR
05-16-2003, 07:18 AM
My R was like that before I got the tranny rebuilt this winter. If your cable is adjusted properly, try using different tranny oil, it seemed to do it more with the heavier weight oil if I remember right. If that doesn't help, get ready to tear into your transmission. It's a very annoying problem I know! Mine was to the point where I would have to shut off the bike and find neutral with it off, then start the bike again :mad:

05-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Is this happening on a 67 VW beetle or a 1968 fat boy???? :huh

Str8Wicked
05-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Before you do any tranny work, tighten the shifter or check for cracks. My uncles 300 had this problem and we found it out int he dunes one day when my homie went to switch gears and the lever broke off. Come to find out it had a crack in the lever and when it was hard finding neutral because the lever was bending while trying to shift. It was also loose which did not help... Since them I decided to check everything on my uncles 300 and make sure it was OK. He never touches them so they are in pretty bad shape. Shyt I did an oil change on one the other day and the oil had never been changed once since he bought it (2 years ago)... I couldn't believe that engine is still working strong... only a honda...

Sick0
05-17-2003, 12:14 AM
str8wicked has a point. just bought a rolls design shifter, now i can easyly find neutral. and shifter well too.

But I had a big problem with my shifter before. its was way too notchy. I couldn't power shift, i could never find neutral.