PDA

View Full Version : Side by side comparison Elka and PEP

AlaskaSpeed
05-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Well,
It was time to try out the PEP zps shocks, have heard so much about them; I just couldn't resist. Mark @ Baldwin Motorsports was great to deal with and my only complaint is the excessive wait....but if these shocks perform like the legend says it's worth the wait.

I had previously run Elkas on my 400EX and now Speed and though I had no complaints with the Elkas, I wanted to try something new. This gave me an oppurtunity to take some side by side comparison pictures of both brands and there are noticeable differences externally in spring length, travel, etc.....look and see.........JIM

PEP zps and Elka ssd rears...note the differences..........

AlaskaSpeed
05-15-2003, 03:24 PM
PEP zps and Elka ssd fronts.....the PEPs are true triple rate fronts with zps spring, while the Elka is actually more a dual rate with ssd spring..?

05-15-2003, 03:31 PM
they are kinda hard to compare (for me anyways ) but i think i like the PEP's best :D
but I got them on 2 different set ups ..
PEP's for mx ,Elkas for woods

Guy400
05-15-2003, 03:35 PM
What do the two shocks measure eyelet-to-eyelet? The Elka looks to be a little shorter overall. Also, it may just be perception but the PEP's look to have a little longer stroke.

AlaskaSpeed
05-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
What do the two shocks measure eyelet-to-eyelet? The Elka looks to be a little shorter overall. Also, it may just be perception but the PEP's look to have a little longer stroke.

The actually measure out the same eye to eye...I just didn't align them...but the spring and stroke do appear longer in person.......JIM

Juggalo
05-15-2003, 04:05 PM
the elkas are actually a true triple rate, but the large main spring is actually a dual rate spring bny itself instead of using 2 diff. springs.

05-15-2003, 04:40 PM
those peps are beautiful....:eek:

AlaskaSpeed
05-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Yes, this is probably one purchase I will smile about....and the best part is they are paid for...lol........

Dave400ex
05-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Those PEP's look awesome. Have you rode the PEP's yet or didn't you get a real good chance because of hurting your back? I know next quad I get I will try the PEP's out. Plus with Elka raising their prices PEP and TCS are by far the best deal right now...

AlaskaSpeed
05-15-2003, 05:18 PM
They just came today and I will be trying them out tomorrow for the first time....JIM

465Stroker
05-15-2003, 11:40 PM
I have PEP's on my Cannibal for XC and they are working great! Expect to put a nice dent in your HMF silencer though - I get enough uptravel that the axle actually puts a pretty nice dent in the pipe (Yeh, the AXLE - not locknut or caliper but the AXLE).
They work the best when you are on the GAS! The hardest part is getting your yourself to trust that fact that they will hammer thru anything - and the faster you go the better the ride!:D

05-16-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
The hardest part is getting yourself to trust that fact that they will hammer thru anything - and the faster you go the better the ride!:D

I'm in the same position Rick...:)

anywhereEx
05-16-2003, 02:07 AM
Lets hear it Jim....

I got a set of Zps commin to me straight from Dirisi(revalve) and am curiouse to how sweet the rear shock would be...

ridered86
05-16-2003, 02:55 AM
i just put my new PEP shocks i got from 400exracer, and lets just say there the best ive ridden on except for TCS and axis, they make my friends elkas look like crap. JMO

Doibugu2
05-16-2003, 03:04 AM
I got my Elka bolted up last night, I think I will get to test it out next week at the badlands.

Does the rear help in not bucking you around so much it the whoops? Couldn't tell you how many times my seat has hit my arse not that I trust the fronts a little bit.

Also, how many of you guys are running shockwears? I mean we spend $1500 in shocks and we cover them up? I don't like that.

JHF219
05-16-2003, 03:15 AM
If your seat is smacking you in the @$$ when going through the whoops it sounds as if the rebound my be set a little high ? im not a shock expert by far but i have had this experience before and i agree when it hits you in the rear stuff tends to get a little shakey !!

Hope this helps

flying400ex
05-16-2003, 03:15 AM
Yea i decided to get TCS SCS all around i wonder if the back shock is going to be worth it:ermm:

Guy400
05-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Also, how many of you guys are running shockwears? I mean we spend $1500 in shocks and we cover them up? I don't like that. No shockwears for me. I had an old set that held water in the shock, rubbed the paint off the springs and rode up the shock after about 2 minutes of riding.

ridered86
05-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by flying400ex
Yea i decided to get TCS SCS all around i wonder if the back shock is going to be worth it:ermm:

it will be as long as it is valved for your weight and riding style, i have beeen ridin an r the past few weeks with tcs all around and all i can say is WOW,what a difference. you will be happy with your new setup.

Dave400ex
05-16-2003, 03:24 AM
How much are the new PEP's with the big rezzy and just Compression adjust?
Rick I noticed you had the new PEP's with Compression and Rebound adjust on the Cannibal. Is the rebound really needed on the fronts?

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 04:09 AM
No shockwears for me. I had an old set that held water in the shock, rubbed the paint off the springs and rode up the shock after about 2 minutes of riding.

Guy,
I have the neoprene shockwears and they DON'T collect and store the water like the other shockwears do. In fact the PEP shock wears that came with the shocks seem to be the same material now as well. I won't ride without shock wears, they keep more crap out than let in if you have the right fit and material..........IMO........JIM

05-16-2003, 04:58 AM
I won't ride without shock wears, they keep more crap out than let in if you have the right fit and material..........IMO........JIM

Good point jim but there arent too many covers that fit that description.

Maybe we need to get one of the mfgs of the neoprene types to make up a batch of 16" and 19" and offer them discounted thru the site.

As far as the shocks go I think that every brand listed so far would work great if set up correctly, and I know I keep saying that in every shock thread, but if any of them is not correct they wount perform as we want.

Please get out there and ride them so you can tell us what you think.

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 05:15 AM
gonna hit the track today and get some laps on them....hoping for no rain.........JIM

05-16-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by ridered86
i just put my new PEP shocks i got from 400exracer, and lets just say there the best ive ridden on except for TCS and axis, they make my friends elkas look like crap. JMO

I'd say your freind might have a little idiot in him and doesn't know how to properly setup shocks.....JMO :ermm:

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Let's just say I learned my lesson bashing shocks that Rico runs...lmao....some Works thread seems to come to mind....:eek2: I also have to agree that Elkas are FAR from being or looking like crap. They are high quality shocks and are still in their infancy as far as ATV applications go. Once they get consistent on nailing the valving, they will get the respect they deserve.....IMO.........JIM

Guy400
05-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Let's just say I learned my lesson bashing shocks that Rico runs...lmao....some Works thread seems to come to mind....:eek2: I also have to agree that Elkas are FAR from being or looking like crap. They are high quality shocks and are still in their infancy as far as ATV applications go. Once they get consistent on nailing the valving, they will get the respect they deserve.....IMO.........JIM blah...blah...blah... Have you ridden on the PEP's yet?!?!:D

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 07:35 AM
blah...blah...blah... Have you ridden on the PEP's yet?!?!:D

Don't you blah blah me, Mr. Diebold centerfold.....:mad: :macho I plan on hitting the track this afternoon, have my 4 year old at home with me and she doesn't do well running wild at the track. She always gets free of the chains while I'm riding and I have to run her down by clipping her heels with my left front tire....not too much unlike the police department's "pit maneuver"......:rolleyes: ;) :D

Uncle Cletus
05-16-2003, 07:36 AM
mistur Jim do you really live in Alaska?

my maw maw tell me that they pain faces on moose dooddoo:confused:

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Cletus
mistur Jim do you really live in Alaska?

my maw maw tell me that they pain faces on moose dooddoo:confused:

Yes, I live in Alaska....tell yer maw maw that these drunk natives up here will pain anything you like on moose doodoo. Hell, you could wittle a quad out of a big piece if you have skills......you guys down thar know how to wittle, doncha?

pane2k
05-16-2003, 08:20 AM
cant wait to hear how those new peps perform, Im also waitin on me TCS setup ;)

05-16-2003, 08:35 AM
Let's just say I learned my lesson bashing shocks that Rico runs...lmao....

Ahh Jimmy that was the good ole days...:D

Honestly I don't have nothing agains PEP or any brand for that matter and would run any brand shock out there. But I will defend elka when someone that couldn't find their butthole with a funnel bashes them....:D No pointing fingers at anyone...:cool:

Derek
05-16-2003, 08:47 AM

Your friend must have some lower end elkas cause theres no way you limited mass peps could compare to the elka ssd's.

racerx573
05-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Derek
Your friend must have some lower end elkas cause theres no way you limited mass peps could compare to the elka ssd's.

If you're saying PEP Ltd Mass arent as good as Elka, I must say youre wrong, the Ltd Mass are more similar to Elka rather than the ZPS, the ZPS is a lot better than Elka IMO, and I think the Ltd Mass are better too....

lil400exman
05-16-2003, 09:42 AM
me and jason run axis:devil run that and u cant go back..................i forked the cash after 1 ride with axis:eek2: no flaming but it was the best shock i have ever ridden imo..................:)

cdalejef
05-16-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
me and jason run axis:devil run that and u cant go back................. I won't run Axis again! I'll sell you some tho!:D

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I won't run Axis again! I'll sell you some tho!:D

You are a SHOCK PIMP.....yep, that's what you are........:D

AtvMxRider
05-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Don't you blah blah me, Mr. Diebold centerfold.....:mad: :macho I plan on hitting the track this afternoon, have my 4 year old at home with me and she doesn't do well running wild at the track. She always gets free of the chains while I'm riding and I have to run her down by clipping her heels with my left front tire....not too much unlike the police department's "pit maneuver"......:rolleyes: ;) :D

I use duct tape Jim it works pretty good ;) .

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I use duct tape Jim it works pretty good ;) .

Scalding hot water works well as a training tool too.........:o

AtvMxRider
05-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Scalding hot water works well as a training tool too.........:o

Hmmmm I'll have to try that :devil

cdalejef
05-16-2003, 10:02 AM
You are a SHOCK PIMP.....yep, that's what you are........:D You should see my velvet hat and fuzzy trench coat!!!:p

racerx573
05-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
me and jason run axis:devil run that and u cant go back..................i forked the cash after 1 ride with axis:eek2: no flaming but it was the best shock i have ever ridden imo..................:)

Indeed.

QuadTrix6
05-16-2003, 10:38 AM
Good Luck with your PEP's! I know I love mine!

Dave400ex
05-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Jeff how come you don't like Axis? I'm not flaming just wanting to know why?

cdalejef
05-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Its not that I don't like them, I just think they are over priced for what you get.

ridered86
05-16-2003, 12:31 PM

first off if you read my post b4 you quoted me, i made a statement that did not say my PEP's are better, (even though i think they are), i made a statement that said that axis and TCS are better...and rico, sorry bout bashin ur shocks i just like my PEP's better :blah

ridered86
05-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
If you're saying PEP Ltd Mass arent as good as Elka, I must say youre wrong, the Ltd Mass are more similar to Elka rather than the ZPS, the ZPS is a lot better than Elka IMO, and I think the Ltd Mass are better too....

im with him:)

Derek
05-16-2003, 12:36 PM
im with him:)

Brand loyal

racerx573
05-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Brand loyal

Nope...experience. ;)

SGA
05-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Im gonna tell my big brother(sniff) what you said about my shocks!(sniff) Yeah, hes gonna beat you up real good!

Jim, looking foward to hearing how your new shocks handle. Of course, it will take them a week or two to get broken in/adjusted properly.

Rip_Tear
05-16-2003, 03:45 PM
This should be a good comparison. I definatly want to get ELKA's though, not so much brand loyal, but I like them, and they are Canadian :p

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Ok....only got 2 hours of riding on the track, but first impressions of the PEP zps shocks are that they are plain awesome! I honestly can't believe the difference there is, the PEPs are less harsh and handle the big hits much better as well. The Elkas seem stiff to the PEPs, yet the PEPs handled everything I put them through today. I know I can't do a fair comparison after only 2 hours, but I did have Elkas for 2 years, so I can tell the differences pretty damn quick. The PEPs have seem to have some roll in the tight corners that makes you feel like you have a couple tires up in the air, but that could be the feeling I get and not actually the case. I will give more feedback as time goes by, but I am very impressed so far............JIM

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 07:32 PM
al;khflahf

Uncle Cletus
05-17-2003, 06:27 AM
that a nice machine

AtvMxRider
05-17-2003, 06:28 AM
Silver:D !!!!!!!!!

WildCatRacer
05-17-2003, 07:11 AM
I have both elkas and peps and I dont think I could say that one is better than the other. they are on differnt setups (peps are on a LT front end), but they are both top of the line high quality shocks and I love them both.

WildCatRacer
05-17-2003, 07:16 AM
I like the black c-dale :eek2:

05-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Ok....only got 2 hours of riding on the track, but first impressions of the PEP zps shocks are that they are plain awesome! I honestly can't believe the difference there is, the PEPs are less harsh and handle the big hits much better as well. The Elkas seem stiff to the PEPs, yet the PEPs handled everything I put them through today. I know I can't do a fair comparison after only 2 hours, but I did have Elkas for 2 years, so I can tell the differences pretty damn quick. The PEPs have seem to have some roll in the tight corners that makes you feel like you have a couple tires up in the air, but that could be the feeling I get and not actually the case. I will give more feedback as time goes by, but I am very impressed so far............JIM

Jim I am really interested in what you find in your comparisons so I hope you dont mind some questions etc.

Can you be more specific about harsh or less harsh, and does this mean the peps were softer over smaller bumps or on landing larger jumps etc. Would you compare where the pep or elka were harsh or soft etc.

Would you consider the effect your calling roll as if there was a softer spot on the beginning of the travel or was it compressing more under steady load?

Any info is appreciated.

I think that these should compare well but do also expect some differences beyond spring rates and valving etc so thats why all the questions,

AlaskaSpeed
05-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Jim I am really interested in what you find in your comparisons so I hope you dont mind some questions etc.

Can you be more specific about harsh or less harsh, and does this mean the peps were softer over smaller bumps or on landing larger jumps etc. Would you compare where the pep or elka were harsh or soft etc.

Would you consider the effect your calling roll as if there was a softer spot on the beginning of the travel or was it compressing more under steady load?

Any info is appreciated.

I think that these should compare well but do also expect some differences beyond spring rates and valving etc so thats why all the questions,

Lloyd,
When I speak of the Elkas seeming harsher than the PEPs, I do mean in performance over a choppy and rutted track. The Elkas would land big flat landings fine, about same as the PEPs from what I can tell so far, just the Elkas seemed valved a little more stiff if that answers your question. As for the roll, for lack of a better word; it only feels like roll....I assume it is actually a softer area of the springs compared to the Elkas....because it tracks great through the corners. I am in no way badmouthing Elka, they are a quality shock. I just like the way the PEPs are setup a lot better than I thought I would.....JIM

ESR250R
05-17-2003, 04:23 PM
i believe the beginning of travel (ie small bumps and roll) are setup softer on pep shocks. the elkas will have less chassis roll but will be harder over the small stuff, the peps will have more chassis roll but will be alot softer over the small stuff.

Dave400ex
05-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Jim have you gotten anymore time on the PEP's? Also you just got Compression adjust right, no Rebound?

anywhereEx
05-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Jim, what hose is that across the side cover of your engine?

AlaskaSpeed
05-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Jim have you gotten anymore time on the PEP's? Also you just got Compression adjust right, no Rebound?

Raced on the PEPs Sunday and they did great. Valved much better for MX than the Elkas were. Noticed it the most in the whoops and braking bumps. I have the compression only fronts and comp/reb rear.....JIM

Derek
05-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Noticed it the most in the whoops and braking bumps.

LOL told ya

:p

AlaskaSpeed
05-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
Jim, what hose is that across the side cover of your engine?

That is my fuel line....I was having a time where mine would want to stall once warm and I wanted to try to route the fuel line like that instead of over top of the motor....so far it's not stalled even once...........JIM

AlaskaSpeed
05-20-2003, 11:04 AM
LOL told ya

:p

You were right....I can't believe the difference...........:D

Dave400ex
05-20-2003, 11:07 AM
From the sounds of it, the next Shocks I get will be PEP ZPS. I'll just have to test them out for myself, and hopefully on a new Honda.

QuadTrix6
05-20-2003, 01:34 PM
.I can't believe the difference...........:D

:D :devil :cool:

05-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Raced on the PEPs Sunday and they did great. Valved much better for MX than the Elkas were. Noticed it the most in the whoops and braking bumps. I have the compression only fronts and comp/reb rear.....JIM

When you say "valved much better for mx" do you mean stiffer or more rebound in the fronts or ?

How does it handle the smaller bumps, ruts rocks etc compared to the elkas?

I know this isnt easy to explain and especially when we dont really know exactly what were talking about :) but I am trying to understand or learn as much as I can so any input is appreciated.

Also curious if you have bottomed them yet or whats the closest you have been so far.

BTW glad to see you are happy with them.