View Full Version : GOV trying to ban ATVS-send letters

300exjuggalo
05-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Federal Safety Agency Sets Hearings on ATVs
The federal Consumer Products Safety Commission -- the agency that banned three-wheeled all-terrain vehicles in the 1980s-- will hold a new series of public hearings on ATV safety beginning in June, the All-Terrain Vehicle Association reports.

According to a notice published in the Federal Register today, the commission will hold a public hearing June 5 in Morgantown, W.Va. The hearing will begin at 10 a.m. at West Virginia University in the Robert C. Byrd Health Science Center.

The commission states that it is "concerned about the dramatic increase in ATV-related injuries and the continued increase in ATV-related deaths, and believes that holding a hearing will provide an opportunity for the interested public to share their concerns about ATVs and ATV safety."

The commission will take testimony on issues ranging from the availability of safety training to whether there should be "performance standards" set for ATVs. The commission notes that there has been an increase in the number of injuries to riders using ATVs with engine sizes of 400cc and greater.

The commission also will take testimony on a proposal by a coalition of groups made up of the Consumer Federation of America, the Natural Trails and Waters Coalition, the Bluewater Network and others seeking a ban on the sale of adult-sized ATVs sold for use by children under 16.

The coalition originally called for a ban on all ATV use by those under the age of 16 but the CPSC said that it could not enforce such a ban. ATVA Director Doug Morris noted that under a longstanding agreement between the ATV industry and the federal agency, only the smallest ATVs
-- those with engines displacing 90cc or less -- have been sold for use by riders in that age group.

In addition, Morris questioned the motivation behind some of the groups involved in this attack on ATVs. He noted that the Natural Trails and Waters Coalition and the Bluewater Network have never had any involvement with, or interest in, ATV safety. Instead, their agenda has been to block access to public lands for ATV riders and others involved in motorized recreation.

"Including these anti-access organizations in this coalition makes for an odd alliance at the very least," Morris said, "since the interests of two of the coalition partners are in eliminating ATVs, not making them safer."

To testify before the Consumer Product Safety Commission in West Virginia, contact Rockelle Hammond, Office of the Secretary, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Washington, D.C., 20207. Tel: (301) 504-6833. Fax: (301) 504-0127. E-mail: rhammond@cpsc.gov.

You can also send written testimony until July 5 to Attn: ATV Hearing, Office of the Secretary, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Washington, D.C., 20207.

KASCHAK
05-15-2003, 11:04 AM
omg what is next dirtbikes. when do these people get it threw there head atvs arnt dangerous unless you ride them without care or like a complete idoit. is anyone going to send them a letter. i also think that if any of them politions jumped on a quad they would have rules changed so they can go faster. when them make a new law for example ; all police cars need to have cb radios in them and must have lights and have fuzzy dice before they make that rule the police drivers usually have some say on what they want and dont want. so everyone that wants to beable to buy a quad in the next couple years please send them a letter so that they dont get banned from us and we will be kicking our selvs by not taking a stand with these stupid new laws. and if some mother comes on and says her son or daughter was killed on a atv larger then a 90cc then maybe you should teach the kid right from wrong and get something that they can handle. like the thread i made with the 12 on a hopped up raptor i mean common i think there is some parent responcability that needs to be straightned out. trace the problem back to the source.

MOUSE
05-15-2003, 11:18 AM
thats about like the guy in nc that wants to ban shrimping because he doesnt want to see the big shrimp boats floating past his house he has on the river :rolleyes:

Taco
05-15-2003, 01:10 PM
I wonder if a couple hundred angry ATV Riders could help any of this.

MOFO
05-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Taco

Let me know.... Morgantown is just a hop, skip and a jump from where I'm at.

I wonder if Robert C. Byrd is involved in this... I feel sorry for you guys down in WV with this guy as your rep. I hate this guy!!!

cheetah
05-15-2003, 01:15 PM

No then we will be seen as a couple hundred outlaws who are the source of this globally threatining plauge that is ATVing and should be dealt quick justice.:rolleyes:

Taco
05-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
No then we will be seen as a couple hundred outlaws who are the source of this globally threatining plauge that is ATVing and should be dealt quick justice.:rolleyes:

LOL I didnt mean go to Morgantown and rape women and loot:rolleyes: More like go there to speak and give our opinions on this matter. Im sure it would look better if there were more Pro-ATV people there than Anti-ATV.

MOFO
05-15-2003, 01:36 PM
LOL I didnt mean go to Morgantown and rape women and loot:rolleyes

damn.... I'm out. :blah

400exBro
05-15-2003, 02:02 PM
damn... imagine if this did go through and then they had to shut down so many shops, and there would be a great unempolyment decearse.... think of all the pros, and the big aftermarket shops, like sparks,nacs, baildwin etc...

i don't think it will go that far, the U.S is trying to keep economy up, and not let it slipper further down...

05-15-2003, 02:06 PM
dont worry too much u guys sounds like they wanna make it 18 or something they will never get rid of quads, it would cause too many hardships and everyone owns one, i think they are lookings at changing age limits, who knows there is too much goin against them

Rip_Tear
05-15-2003, 02:10 PM
They are banning shoe lace's too, you could possible get your finger caught during tie up and loose it! (ampuate..) Personally I don't know if I would trust you guys with string let alone an ATV JP

ATV's won't get banned don't worry (you can still send letters if you think you need to though..)

Taco
05-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
dont worry too much u guys sounds like they wanna make it 18 or something they will never get rid of quads, it would cause too many hardships and everyone owns one, i think they are lookings at changing age limits, who knows there is too much goin against them
I'm sorry but do you not remember what happened to the 250R?????I dont want to have to wait another 10yrs for something worth riding comes out.

Pvt. Maggot
05-15-2003, 02:12 PM
they will never pull it off. alot of companys make wayyy to much cash off atvs i highly doubt they will stop production so theres no worrys. even if they do its just like trikes. you will still be able to get them and they will make parts for them so yeah...

Ralph
05-15-2003, 02:16 PM
or like the the guy in cali who wants to ban oreos...

Taco
05-15-2003, 02:21 PM
"The commission will take testimony on issues ranging from the availability of safety training to whether there should be "performance standards" set for ATVs. The commission notes that there has been an increase in the number of injuries to riders using ATVs with engine sizes of 400cc and greater."

Can any of you retards read???? I took this from above and I want ONE good reason why this shouldn't bother us.

05-15-2003, 03:09 PM
because i could care less about new quads i can build a crf yzf buy a r banshee ds kfx z 400 or ride my 400ex....

and what are u talkin about the 250r? safety commission had nothing to do with that unless a quadzilla , banshee, lt 250r is much safer:huh is this the part where i call u a retard?

Leo
05-15-2003, 03:14 PM
I smell a democrat...

What interest could those enviromental people have in ATV safety? Oh.. it's kind of a back door to do away with those pesky machines..

When that doesn't work they'll try the sue-em-into oblivion thing again (almost worked last time)..

That's about as anti-american as those bunch of jerk democrats in TX's that walked out because they couldn't get their way..

To Bill, Al, and company.. Do U.S. a favor and move to someplace that needs your help.. like antartica.

Leo

Knight440
05-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Leo
I smell a democrat...

What interest could those enviromental people have in ATV safety? Oh.. it's kind of a back door to do away with those pesky machines..

When that doesn't work they'll try the sue-em-into oblivion thing again (almost worked last time)..

That's about as anti-american as those bunch of jerk democrats in TX's that walked out because they couldn't get their way..

To Bill, Al, and company.. Do U.S. a favor and move to someplace that needs your help.. like antartica.

Leo

Amen :mad:

Nausty
05-15-2003, 05:03 PM
I think mcdonalds, burger king and cigerettes have killed more people than trikes, quads or bikes ever will.

I kinda think people should watch out for themselves because if we keep taking away dangerous stuff and try to make things safer like roads it just makes people blind to other risks and not wanna watch out for themselves because somone else always is.

If you wanna be dumb, you gotta be tough

05-15-2003, 06:54 PM
ATV's won't get banned don't worry (you can still send letters if you think you need to though..)

No offence but your dead wrong there. If we all just sit back and let someone else write the letters and show up at these hearings we may very well see some serious changes.

If every member took ten damn minutes and wrote a letter every time this type of bs comes up it would make a very big difference and most likely we would see much less of it because the politicians would be reasured were are serious.

Its a shame that most riders just want to ride and dont or wont lift a finger to protect their own right to ride and that does really pisss me off :mad:

BTW for those who didnt catch it this is a "federal hearing" and will make problems for all of us not just WV so write the damn letters and have your friends write too.

I wonder if a couple hundred angry ATV Riders could help any of this. ABSOLUTELY. we dont seem to be properly represented in numbers that would match the amount of off road users.

What interest could those enviromental people have in ATV safety? Oh.. it's kind of a back door to do away with those pesky machines.. Leo you are 110% correct and they will go to no end to get what they want, and they got the $$ to make the politicians understand their point of view.

All we have is numbers and thats why we need to have a showing of hands etc.

Taco
05-16-2003, 01:05 AM
because i could care less about new quads i can build a crf yzf buy a r banshee ds kfx z 400 or ride my 400ex....

and what are u talkin about the 250r? safety commission had nothing to do with that unless a quadzilla , banshee, lt 250r is much safer:huh is this the part where i call u a retard?

Can we just ban ATV's from people like you? I dont think you deserve to ride b/c apparently you are lacking to see what this means. I give up I'm done ranting. Leo, Lenny and anyone else that really cares about this "THANKS FOR BEING PART OF THE SOLUTION" the problem can kiss my rosy red ***.:mad:

Pappy
05-16-2003, 01:26 AM
ill write my letter and spread the word.....ill be very professional and well mannered.............

as for the "i dont care people"...where the F do you think you will ride that machine you build? if atv sales plummet...and the interest goes away....places will close...state or gov't land will be restricted for no riding....tracks will close as they did last time this crap happened.....so where will ya be then? sitting in your mommies garage spanking your monkey all over that badass quad you built and cant ride:macho so put your pecker away and take 2 minutes to write a letter :mad:

300exjuggalo
05-16-2003, 03:03 AM
everyone plz just write a letter, because people are killing themselfs riding the atvs not the atv kill them , their just dumb people out their thinking its a toy or getting hurt on a atv is " not gunna happen to me" but it will or can so gettin ride of atvs is not the answer the answer is dont sell a atv to a dumb *** , and learn how to ride a 400ex and not just go get one when your 12 thats the real problem , so plz people right a letter other wise we wont be riding anymore and i LOVE riding and i dont want to see it go :(

MSL
05-16-2003, 03:38 AM
I am so sick and freaking tired of these gosh danged LIBERALS
trying to take away our freedoms:macho :mad: :macho :mad: :macho :mad:

What the heck in the matter with you people that think nothing needs to be done to protect our rights as citizens of the U.S.A
What the liberals are counting on is for the ATV community to be to dang lazy to fight them on this.

fellow riders its time to stand up and fight for our right to ride!

I for one will be sending a letter.

Democrats = more government running our lifes.

Republicans = less government running our lifes.

Seems the Republicans feel we as Americans are capable of deciding how we live our lifes and the Democraps seem to think the government needs to run our lifes for us. F-THAT!

TheChknhwk
05-16-2003, 04:28 AM
I would like to put my letter in the mail, but maybe we should get some talking points together, so we can sound united in our message to the "man", not blithering, belligerant, or otherwise ignorant. We can get the body of the letter together here, copy it from the forum, add our own greetings, salutations & personal touches & then send it off... Any input?

MSL
05-16-2003, 04:30 AM
I would like to put my letter in the mail, but maybe we should get some talking points together, so we can sound united in our message to the "man", not blithering, belligerant, or otherwise ignorant. We can get the body of the letter together here, copy it from the forum, add our own greetings, salutations & personal touches & then send it off... Any input?

That sounds like a good idea:cool:

300exjuggalo
05-16-2003, 04:38 AM
sounds good everyone do that

05-16-2003, 04:48 AM
Can we just ban ATV's from people like you? I dont think you deserve to ride b/c apparently you are lacking to see what this means. I give up I'm done ranting. Leo, Lenny and anyone else that really cares about this "THANKS FOR BEING PART OF THE SOLUTION" the problem can kiss my rosy red ***.

lol:p

05-16-2003, 05:11 AM

A good thought and one that has been discussed on the boards here before but I have to admit I think its still better to have quantity over quality with our political types since they are most concerned with the next election than anything we would say.

I had started a thread in the past titled "atvs (or quads) sales banned in NJ" or something like that got into it pretty deeply. Look into any of the many threads about our problems in NJ (and there are a lot here) and get some good info on this stuff including a few threads that had lists of contacts all over the country etc.

If anyone finds the better posts on letter writing please copy it here for everyone ( I will try also ) because it does help to cover the points needed.

Though the problems in this state are strongly related to avail ride areas and the dangers and injuries of completely non organised illegal riding etc the effects of not having proper training and parents using atv's as baby sitters leads to as many or more injuries.

05-16-2003, 05:52 AM
A thought for our younger members who think that anyone who is 11 or 14 can properly handle a 400ex or 250r or raptor etc you are missing two very big issues.

The first is easy cause its ability and experience. I have seen many excelent younger riders that can handle their quad as well or better than many adults but that doesnt mean everyone in this age range can. You must have seen more than one younger rider take to a track and blast around it appearing to be completely out of controll, but actually be in controll. What about his less experienced friend or just the onlooker who is now wanting to be riding the same way? Since younger people in general are more impressionable they tend to ride above their ability more either to mimic another better rider or just test their limits. This isnt entirely a bad thing but when a crash does occur it would be of a less degree on a machine that was capable of lower speed etc.

Now the tough part, and I know a lot of you guys may not like this but you have to admit its true close to 100% of the time. There are different levels of experience in life as there is in riding and with that experience comes knowledge and this effects our decision making. Same as most people wouldnt put their hand into an open flame after the first time we develop an increased ability in decison making over time. Sure there are some dumb arses who will have scars on their hands cause they dont learn fast lol but eventually they learn as well.

How all this plays into our issue is that as we mature we look at things differently and through our responsibilities in life we become better at making decisions. There is a reason that they dont hand out drivers licenses at 10 years old and its not about ability or being able to reach the pedals, but rather about being able to accept or even understand the reponsibility of driving a 3-4000lb vehicle that can easily injure and kill many people. Guys dont misunderstand me here as I know many adults arent that great with this either and thats what leads to many of the atv related injuries in the first place because the parent isnt able to exersize the proper responsibility in choosing the right machine for their child and then get them proper training to use it safely etc.

Maybe if our political leaders would understand this all better we would have less problems but I have to admit it would be hard to determine who is able to handle which machine etc. I have seen some pretty stupid things happen on quads and its been both young and old riders alike but we cant blame the machine or the people who make them for a persons stupidity or unwillingness to prepare, train and practice how to ride properly.

Would you get into a plane that the pilot had no proper training or was only 12? But I would get into one with a properly trained and experienced younger pilot that was shown the proper disipline and understood the responsibilities before one piloted by a inexperienced older pilot.

It just takes different levels of life experience to make some decisions like not to just blast up the jump face pinned in 4th on your first week of riding to impress your friends etc, ever wonder how many injuries happend just after someone saying "watch this" or "try and top this" etc. The fact that we value not getting hurt more as we get older may slow down our lap times a little but since most atv riders arent racers thats a good thing.

Ryan
05-16-2003, 06:03 AM
Im not much of a great writer but I will write up something.

Freeride, no offense dude but are you retarded?:o

wb300ex
05-16-2003, 08:38 AM
:mad: :grr :grr :scary: :mad: we will just have to kick there butts with our letters:macho

SeaN

TrailBreaker70
05-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Is it really possible for the government to keep us from riding quads on our own land? Why don't they ban cars? People get killed in those too.

300exjuggalo
05-16-2003, 05:14 PM
send send send send letters people :) fast fast fast :o :o sennnd:muscle: away like you never have before :macho

05-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Freeride, no offense dude but are you retarded?

lol this from a 14 year old kid who claims he was drunk off his arse on a school night and typing perfectly :rolleyes:

Taco
05-16-2003, 10:19 PM
lol this from a 14 year old kid who claims he was drunk off his arse on a school night and typing perfectly :rolleyes:
And this coming from a **** that wont even take his thumb outta his *** to send a letter to help protect the sport that we all love.

05-17-2003, 05:12 AM
stfu if they ever ban quads ill buy a bike whats the difference

AtvMxRider
05-17-2003, 07:08 AM

Why not try and help the sport as much as you can. What would you do if they banned quads and bikes? And it only takes one hand to write a letter so you can keep your other hand up your *** if ya want.;)

300exjuggalo
05-17-2003, 07:27 AM
the difference between bikes and quads are that bikes have 2 wheels and quads have 4 wheels dirtbikes pretty much 2 stroke quad 2 and 4 dirtbikes cant have nerfbars quads can, you stop on a dirtbike you fall over if you cant touch ground quad you can just sit their... need anymore , so really get your thumb out of your arse :eek2: and send a damn letter that takes a few min and could save the sport, unless your a homo and think that something will get done just sitting their lookin at porn :grr

05-17-2003, 06:37 PM
Did anyone else write any letters or you all just posting on here? :blah

05-17-2003, 06:56 PM
so im assuming uve all sent your letters in right:rolleyes:

deer mr president dont take me 4 wheewa away i be veree good boy dis year if u take it a3way i be sad:( do u want me be sad? i like ridin my 250ex in da mud and all over the trails its safe and all i really love it i jump too but not too high i need elka suspension, do u ride mr?

:rolleyes:

i think what really matters is ama and atva they speak for all of us 1 letter doesnt have as much weight as thousands of members who support the sport, sure a few letters might be nice but if u ask me we should all be ama or atva and they should be doing something as well

05-17-2003, 07:44 PM
so im assuming uve all sent your letters in right:rolleyes:

deer mr president dont take me 4 wheewa away i be veree good boy dis year if u take it a3way i be sad:( do u want me be sad? i like ridin my 250ex in da mud and all over the trails its safe and all i really love it i jump too but not too high i need elka suspension, do u ride mr?

:rolleyes:

i think what really matters is ama and atva they speak for all of us 1 letter doesnt have as much weight as thousands of members who support the sport, sure a few letters might be nice but if u ask me we should all be ama or atva and they should be doing something as well

The very last part of your post is correct and the ama and atva is working to improve the sport and open new ride areas etc, but if everyone just sits back as you describe we will continue to see ride areas closed and new regs and bs increase.

From what I can see this problem is gettin worse not better.

Ryan
05-18-2003, 05:37 AM
Ofcourse one letter will probably not make a difference but if enough letters are sent, they might take a look at the problem more closely. Don't think that sitting on your *** ignoring the problem is gonna help anything :rolleyes: .

05-18-2003, 05:56 AM
u think they even care what we have to say?

Leo
05-18-2003, 07:00 AM

<sigh>

If they managed to ban quads, guess what will be next on the list? Don't say it can't happen.. In the what seems like a blink of an eye they are putting a whooping on the PWC crowd..

The funny thing is the ban crazy fools have yet to realize what goes around, comes around, and sooner or later something that they enjoy will get the axe by some other lunatic orgazination.

It's a very dangerous road that we are headed down...

Leo

05-18-2003, 04:19 PM

I have tried to explain this nicely but I give up, so either get up off your negative and lazy arse and write the damn letter or you will have no one to blame but yourself when your favorite ride area gets closed or you are forced to ride illegally constantly hiding from the cops rangers etc. If this is allready the case in your area (I know many places in NY are tough allready) rest assuered that others who thought that way in the past allowed it to happen.

Think what you like and dont think your alone because this moronic way of thinking is only too popular and the cause of this sport having so many problems with the general public the authorities etc. We need to be loud and proud and let the politicians know who we are and that we are concerned about the future of our access to ride areas and just to enjoy our sport. Everytime I try to organise any kind of public letter writing or protest etc all I hear is BS stories about how people are too busy or cant drive so they cant get there and all kinds of other BS excuses. It drives me nuts to think that we can find the time to ride and the younger ones even get a friend or parent to drive to areas that they ride at but very very few can find the time to fight for our right to ride and access to various ride areas. :mad: :grr

This is total BULL and anyone who seriously enjoys riding anything (bikes, quads, trucks and even bicycles) off road should find the time to fight anything that limits the use of any machine or area etc cause they are just going to pick us off one group at a time if we let them.

I for one am not giving up like some spoiled panzy and will fight them as long as I am able.

Pappy
05-18-2003, 04:42 PM

either a clever way of pissing people off and creating action from those on the fence......or one of the most moronic statements from an off road enthusiast ive ever seen:o

MOFO
05-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
either a clever way of pissing people off and creating action from those on the fence......or one of the most moronic statements from an off road enthusiast ive ever seen:o

After reading this thread, I gotta vote for number 2. Moronic statement. :grr

This guy lives in a dream world where nothing can effect him... I'm sure someday he'll get a rude wake up call.

05-18-2003, 04:56 PM

got to be the best avatar yet :devil

Pappy
05-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
got to be the best avatar yet :devil

lol...striker made it for me awhile back...i didnt wanna seem like a dick :o but after my heroic rescues this weekend im entitled:macho :blah

Martin Blair
05-18-2003, 05:02 PM
the damn goverment is taking away everythign that fun, theres goign to by nothing left, i swear to god some cop is goign to have to cut me off my 400 before i stop riding.

Pappy
05-18-2003, 05:07 PM
well, the cops are enforcing the law (most of them anyway)
but the bullchit starts with the government. it takes atleast 100 emails on a subject before the majority of elected officials will even take notice. with this iste as big as it is....a well composed form letter and 1 minute of a members time is all it will take. i responded to 440ex4me's request to the new jersey problem awhile back.....and it was a breeze. so lenny...use that devious and creative mind to fashion us a letter and lets get rollin
:macho

MOFO
05-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I agree. I'm not the best when it comes to writing letters...if someone can put one together, we should setup a way to sign it and send her off to where it needs to go.

A well written letter and a few thousand sig's can make more noise than what most think.

Pappy
05-18-2003, 05:17 PM
well i remeber well back in the 80's when we had no voice. the news and the papers were one sided against us (still are) but now we have a vehicle that will alllow us to drive home our side of the story:macho

im also a hunter and gun collector...and i bet i sign 2 or 3 petitions and letters a month that the NRA sends me. granted we as offroaders dont have the money the NRA has....we still are voters and if enough stink is raised they will look at the issue.

Taco
05-18-2003, 11:22 PM
I Love you guys:D

killed300ex
05-18-2003, 11:42 PM
yea someone should craft up a letter for us that we could just print out then sign and send it off to them
kiled

Leo
05-18-2003, 11:59 PM

im also a hunter and gun collector...and i bet i sign 2 or 3 petitions and letters a month that the NRA sends me. granted we as offroaders dont have the money the NRA has....we still are voters and if enough stink is raised they will look at the issue.

yup..

Just this last week I got two postcards to sign + mail supporting S659 (a bill to halt the anti-gun lawyers that are suing the manufactures)..

Guess who I had to mail 'em to? Senator Clinton, and Senator Schumer (BOY that makes me proud to live in NY)..

I know it's two stamps down the drain, but I mailed them anyway.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, until you realize that they probably get several thousand of the cards.. Strength in numbers.

Leo

BaD_250ex
05-19-2003, 01:08 AM
This is an awsome thread. I just started riding quads about a year ago. But It has been the one of the funnest things ive ever done. I had no idea about all those quads that the gov. has taken away from us. WE NEED TO STAND TOGETHER AND FIGHT! ! ! ! ! ! That is the only way we will win this battle. I have my eyes on a 400ex and I dont wanna lose the opportunity (sp) to have one. Somone type that letter up! Im going to send one in the mail right now. Freeride, stop being such a dick, look what you have typed, its all Bull$h!+!! Why cant you stop your non-sence and just write a letter. If you are so thick headed that you cant even help to stop the problem, then dont, I dont want somone like you to help!!!

And have you all noticed that it went from 10 min of your time, to 2 min, then 1 min? lol.

Somone that lives by all those people that are trying to stop riding, should invite a few of them on a riding trip so they can see how much fun it is and how many people LOVE this sport and participate in it. Ive seen so many little and Old guys out riding and having the best time of thier lives, some people just dont understand how much atvs actually mean to us.

Well im out. Im sendin a letter, DO THE SAME!!!!

Caleb

300exjuggalo
05-19-2003, 02:24 AM
amen to that, someone plz create a letter for us all to send and post it up and ill be sure to sign it , plz someone cause i cant right letters

300exjuggalo
05-19-2003, 02:25 AM
i love this sport and cant let it go, it just wont happen this is the one thing that i accualy love i live in illinois ill drive my sorry *** all the way to DC if i have to if it will help the subject would you do the same?

Pappy
05-19-2003, 02:46 AM
I Love you guys:D

do you need a hug:p

300exjuggalo
05-19-2003, 02:58 AM
i do defintaly(SP):macho

Pappy
05-19-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by 300exjuggalo
i do defintaly(SP):macho

sorry yer to willing:devil :blah

05-19-2003, 04:49 AM
use that devious and creative mind to fashion us a letter and lets get rollin
yea someone should craft up a letter for us that we could just print out then sign and send it off to them

OK ok I will post something here soon to use as an example etc, but remember that if we all send in our own personal unique letters they will hold more wieght than the form letter types etc.

Some things to consider including in your letters:

Allways include something about your rights as a citizen or voting resident of your state etc.

Tell them of your quality time spent with your family and how it enhances this time together.

Since politicians like to introduce new bills and laws that hide behind "save the children" for almost any issue be sure to remind them of the added safety to our sport when things are organised and that the younger riders gain both riding and life experience from the time spent with more mature adult riders etc. Remember to tell of how younger riders are not as capable of making some decisions like when to run from the authorities and risk injury or death avoiding a summons due to the unavailability of legal ride areas and how this is a very dangerous method of our various states filling in there budget shortfalls.

On issues like the one here we need to remember that the attack on the younger riders is just a smoke screen to eliminate off road activities alltogether. The politicians are looking for $$$ to be re elected and the greenie groups make the donations but I believe every single person in office seriously does want to make things better so we need to really appeal to the "human" side of their thinking. So make comments about how few of the injuries to riders under 16 are on properly sized machines and how the gov needs to put money into educating the parents and not into enforcing new BS land closures etc.

Try to hit on the economic advantages of our sport to small towns and business and how any new restrictions would be davastating to them etc.

Most of all cry a little about how much you enjoy this and that your mad as hell that some small groups with personal agendas keep trying to take away your rights and how it will negativly effect you etc.

I will try to get a copy of one of the letters soon.

KASCHAK
05-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
OK ok I will post something here soon to use as an example etc, but remember that if we all send in our own personal unique letters they will hold more wieght than the form letter types etc.

Some things to consider including in your letters:

Allways include something about your rights as a citizen or voting resident of your state etc.

Tell them of your quality time spent with your family and how it enhances this time together.

Since politicians like to introduce new bills and laws that hide behind "save the children" for almost any issue be sure to remind them of the added safety to our sport when things are organised and that the younger riders gain both riding and life experience from the time spent with more mature adult riders etc. Remember to tell of how younger riders are not as capable of making some decisions like when to run from the authorities and risk injury or death avoiding a summons due to the unavailability of legal ride areas and how this is a very dangerous method of our various states filling in there budget shortfalls.

On issues like the one here we need to remember that the attack on the younger riders is just a smoke screen to eliminate off road activities alltogether. The politicians are looking for $$$ to be re elected and the greenie groups make the donations but I believe every single person in office seriously does want to make things better so we need to really appeal to the "human" side of their thinking. So make comments about how few of the injuries to riders under 16 are on properly sized machines and how the gov needs to put money into educating the parents and not into enforcing new BS land closures etc.

Try to hit on the economic advantages of our sport to small towns and business and how any new restrictions would be davastating to them etc.

Most of all cry a little about how much you enjoy this and that your mad as hell that some small groups with personal agendas keep trying to take away your rights and how it will negativly effect you etc.

I will try to get a copy of one of the letters soon.

that sounds like a good idea instead of trying to make it more difficult to ride with so many laws just teach the younger riders like myself kinda what the proper riding everything is. like you said ive seen older and really young people out riding having i think maybe more fun then me and the rest of my friends. they like to ride around and talk to us on what trail is good for how they ride and what kind of quad they ride. they like to complement us on our riding skills, ask us some questions and pretty much talk about the sport or riding sport and utility quads.
quads do more good things then bad if newspapers were in the hand of quad riders they would be very little articles on people getting hurt and more on the comuninacation of the riders and how much fun the sport really is, and would make politiocions think twice on is this sport bad or good.

dont know how to spell deffenitly but

DEFFENITLY SENDING A LETTER TO THEM!

05-20-2003, 04:08 PM
I think you got the general idea of what to say yourself so open up ms word or whatever with spell check and get those letters mailed! :)

Some things about news reporters that bug the crap out of me is their obvious one sided and allmost dictated (by their boss from the state etc) reporting and failure to reply or follow thru on the numerous letters and emails I have sent them.

Its a shame that a person gets so caught up in their job that they miss what it was in the first place. In this case its objectivly reporting on the subject at hand and any follow up information as it becomes avail.

I had sent some detailed info in a letter to the author of one of the stories published here recently alerting the writer to some very serious facts (rebutal to why some ride illegal due to lack of ride areas here and the contacts for people trying to open them up etc and how this would add safety to our sport here) and figures as to our plight and even included email contacts etc but I guess this either wasnt news worthy (which is BS) or he was lead by the collar to something new.

Allways fun stuff for sure, but keep those letters flowing.