PDA

View Full Version : chain lube

JForestZ34
05-15-2003, 02:40 AM
What do you guys use for a chain lube. I'm using that Bel-Ray Super clean chain lube. I just a pain in the a%$ to clean and relube. Any suggestions

James

Rip_Tear
05-15-2003, 01:57 PM
I am using CASE chain lube :D IT works awsome... My dad owns a CASE Back hoe and Skidsteer, so we were there and I asked the guy if he had any O-ring chain lube, and he was like this will work... I also got grease from him... It all works awsome, I don't believe it was expensive at all either :D Good luck!

cheetah
05-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Maxima Chain Wax....good stuff.

Minimee
05-15-2003, 04:41 PM
White Lithium Grease Spray

05-15-2003, 04:42 PM
wont white lithium kill o-rings???it flings everywhere on the bike anyways..i dont use that stuff anymore, it GETS EVERYWHERE

Minimee
05-15-2003, 05:02 PM
how can a grease kill O rings? u must be thinking of WD-40. Plus its only 3$ a can.....

ufd2300ex
05-16-2003, 06:21 AM
I USED HONDA CHAIN LUBE AND IT DIDNT SEEM TO LAST VERY LONG...AFTER LOOKING IN THE SERVICE MANUAL IT SUGGESTED USING 80-90W GEAR LUBE..SO I TRIED IT..SO FAR SO GOOD..BUT IT IS KIND OF MESSY....

Elmo on PCP
05-16-2003, 11:26 AM
is yer caps key stuck on on?,,,,, i use some chain lube stuff spray on looks like wd-40 than hardens kinda

QuadTrix6
05-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Minimee

me too

AtvMxRider
05-16-2003, 12:33 PM
u must be thinking of WD-40.

Explain to me how WD-40 will kill o-rings:huh

KY Woods Rider
05-16-2003, 12:44 PM
I use two different types of chain lube depending on what conditions I'm riding in.

Right now you're probably thinking WTF:huh.

Well, I like Klotz chain lube and it is what I prefer to use. However, the Klotz stays kinda oily and never really dries onto the chain. As a result, if I lube the chain with Klotz and then go out riding in dusty conditions, all the dust sticks to the chain and turns into greasy grit that I have to clean off my chain when I get done riding. So, when I know that I am going to be riding in a bunch of dust, I use Pro Honda HP chain lube instead. The Pro Honda HP is similar to Maxima Chain Wax and dries onto the chain so that dust doesn't stick to it so bad.

KY Woods Rider
05-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Explain to me how WD-40 will kill o-rings:huh

I would like an explanation of that too. Only in the last couple of years have I heard this stuff about WD-40 being bad for o-ring chains. What...it wasn't bad in the past but it is now?

I have used WD-40 to clean chains for years and on several occassions I have used it to lube a chain when I was out of real chain lube. I also know people who use WD-40 as their only form of chain lube and they haven't had any more problems than anyone else.

To me it seems that WD-40 would be bad for non-o-ring chains because it removes grease and isn't a heavy enough lubricant for convential chains that do not have lubricant sealed in them. However, with an o-ring chain the lube is sealed in at the factory, so all that lubing an o-ring chain will do is provide rust protection. While WD-40 can be washed off easily and will need more frequent reapplication than specially made chain lubes, as long as it is reapplied at the end of each ride, then it will definitely prevent rust. Also, the o-rings should seal the chain completely and WD-40 shouldn't get past them, so there's no problem there. As for the WD-40 actually damaging the o-rings, I've had WD-40 on all types of rubber (including o-rings) and I have yet to see it cause any damage.

If you think about it from a logical standpoint, WD-40 doesn't allow grease and dirt to build up as bad as chain lube does, and the built up grit is the enemy of the chain, sprockets, and o-rings. The whole reason you clean your chain is to remove the gritty build-up on it. Just like I said in my post above, the reason I don't use Klotz chain lube in dusty conditions is because I'm trying to keep as much dirt and grit off the chain as possible. In that way, WD-40 could possibly be the best lube available for an o-ring chain because it helps keep it clean. The main reason that I don't use WD-40 for chain lube all the time is because the specially made chain lubes last longer and I can ride my quad and then put it up without having to worry about my chain rusting before I lube it again.

Saying that WD-40 is bad for o-ring chains does sound like a great way to get people to buy a company's chain lube though doesn't it?:uhoh:

If you've actually read all of my useless ranting and mindless babbling, then my helmet is off to ya:)

cletusEX
05-16-2003, 01:51 PM
I've been using WD-40 for the last year and never had a single problem with the o-rings. My friend who has also been riding for over 10 years uses WD-40 and suggested that I use it. Like the last post, you have to lube the chain quite often. I now switched to the Bel Ray chain lube because that it what I had on hand. Also, I forgot the use WD-40 sometimes and the chain started rusting.

jay's 300
05-16-2003, 02:01 PM

Rip_Tear
05-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Okay, the WD-40 thing...

I was told not to put WD on any o-ring chain, by machanics and other people I know (quad guys etc...) The reasons I was given is the WD dries out the o-ring and makes them more likely to crack. Also with the WD being vary flamable it allows the o-ring to melt, or wear quicker. There is more, and those may not be exact because it has been a while since then. I can't see that WD would last very long anyways as a lube, besides it attacts dust.

Don't flame what I said, its not my opinion just what I was told.

Woodsrider
05-16-2003, 03:33 PM
If i am going over to the sand, I clean the chain in kerosene then dry it and lube with Bel-Ray chain wax. But for most of my riding I use..... Don't laugh, it works killer and its cheap,......... Bar oil for my chain saw.:eek2: Thats right Bar oil, and I sware by it every one in our riding group uses the same thing and in three years of us using it,(8 guys total) we havent had a single problem.

Rip_Tear
05-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Soggy, the red stuff :D We used to too, on all the chain's bikes quads etc, its good stuff :D

tkatc
05-17-2003, 03:03 PM
I usually use regular ole NJ mud. Can't beat the price. Never had a problem and washes off your hands with a mild soap and water on the first try. :)

toby400ex
05-17-2003, 04:07 PM
I used wd-40 all summer and didnt have a prob, but when i got ym 400ex and some new chains and sprockets i started using white lithium grease spray, doesnt seem to fling off, and it looks and smells neato, i also like my maxima chain wax. The only bad thing about chain wax is it gets all gunked up after a while, but a take my chain off and clean it after every ride anyway.:rolleyes:

AtvMxRider
05-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Okay, the WD-40 thing...

I was told not to put WD on any o-ring chain, by machanics and other people I know (quad guys etc...) The reasons I was given is the WD dries out the o-ring and makes them more likely to crack. Also with the WD being vary flamable it allows the o-ring to melt, or wear quicker. There is more, and those may not be exact because it has been a while since then. I can't see that WD would last very long anyways as a lube, besides it attacts dust.

Well I'm a mechanic and I can tell you thats is Bullchit.

fuddrucker
05-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
wont white lithium kill o-rings???it flings everywhere on the bike anyways..i dont use that stuff anymore, it GETS EVERYWHERE

If you have ever installed a new o-ring chain, then you will see that the little packet of stuff they give you to put on the o-rings for the master link IS white lithium grease.

250rAL
05-19-2003, 12:36 PM
I've been riding for nearly 20 years and have tried different lubes. I no longer use any kind of lube except WD-40 after I wash the machine. I haven't noticed any difference in the lifespan of my chain and there's no gunk all over from lube that didn't stay put. More important is the brand of chain. I like RK. It stretches very little and lasts a long time.

marksuttonjr
05-20-2003, 05:04 PM
I use white lithium grease for lube before every ride and WD 40 after every ride to clean. Might be a little overkill, but oh well.

GOMER007
05-21-2003, 07:44 AM
I just use gear oil and sum times i use bel ray!:ermm:

spincr4hire
05-30-2003, 04:30 AM
I bought a can of PJ1 chain lube (the blue stuff), I think it sux, more gets on my swingarm than the chain (it runs off very quickly).

RoadkillerRyan
05-31-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
I use white lithium grease for lube before every ride and WD 40 after every ride to clean. Might be a little overkill, but oh well.

same here

300EX
06-09-2003, 12:47 AM
Wd-40 is only flameable when it comes outa the can, spray it on the ground and try to lite it on fire. Also it is water based.

muff
06-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Okay, the WD-40 thing...

thats the same thign I've heard, but not the part about it melting the o-ring

do you guys use chain wax at all? the guy at the shop said its for dirt bikes only, but i couldnt figure that one out?

250xdude
06-17-2003, 04:19 PM
I use 85 weight gear oil, messy, but works good

-=Skot=-
06-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Bell Ray

06-20-2003, 11:28 AM
white lithium grease in a spray can

deepcj7
06-20-2003, 08:42 PM
My 400 is 3 years old now and I haven't bought the same can of lube twice yet. I've used waxes, foams, wd 40 and probably everything out there. I think if you keep it adjusted correctly, cleaned and lubed your chain should last. I'm still on my stock chain and it looks like it will last a while longer, hope I didn't jinks myself. I do favor the Honda spray cause it is alot cleaner to apply and that sways me to apply the lubricant more often even when I'm hurried.;)