PDA

View Full Version : 250ex carb float bowl "buffer"

lifesun
05-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum and I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer too, hopefully you can help!

I re-jetted my fiancés' 250ex last night, everything is fine, its running great, no popping etc. My question is regarding the "fuel buffer" that lays in the float bowl. It was just laying in the bottom of the bowl when I took it off, and then when I tried to put it back together I really couldn't see how it could stay in place so I just left it out. I understand that the purpose of this "buffer" is to keep fuel flow steady over rough terrain, but do I really need it? I was wheeling around the yard and I didn't notice any performance issues. I have taken many carbs apart before and I have never witnessed something so ridiculous! Has anyone ran their 250ex without this part? I just don't want to hurt the machine, but I really don't see what good this part will do if it is just laying loose in the float bowl.
Thanks for your help!:D

BaD_250ex
05-15-2003, 02:29 AM
Bump

lifesun
05-15-2003, 03:12 AM
Anyone have a clue???

MIKE400EX
05-15-2003, 03:30 AM
Never tried ours w/o the baffle. I would guess that it won't hurt to leave it out so long as the terrain you ride on doesn't kick the bike around enough to uncover the jets. You'll know it 'cause it will want to sputter or stall. Just be careful on jumps, you wouldn't want it to sputter or stall in mid air or at the top of a long hill! The baffle has a notch in the side that aligns it with the slow(pilot) jet, it just snaps over the main jet/carb boss.

White_Knuckles
05-15-2003, 04:04 AM
The nylon dish has a slotted key that slips over the main jet holder and only slips off on bowl disassembly or a factory error. The cup of the dish faces down toward the bottom of the bowl and should stay in place after sliding it back on and securing the bowl holding the carb upside down.

Keep it and install next carb cleaning or inspection, not critical.

lifesun
05-15-2003, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I think that I will go ahead and re-install it in the carb. I don't want my fiancé' getting hurt over something stupid on my part!:eek2:

Thanks again