PDA

View Full Version : Think i found my first quad need some input.

Mr. Tuesday
05-14-2003, 05:02 PM
I posted early because this is my first quad purchase but i have had 12 dirt bikes and 4 sleds so i am familar with atv territory but dont know alot about quads specifically.

THE DEAL =2002 400 ex (yellow) fmf slip on otherwise stock.

it looks in good shape, the plastic is not bashed up and the handle bars and levers looks ok too.

apparently he had only 1 major incident, wheelie and lost control and bent up the front rim. he has put a new one on since. is there an easy way to check alignment to make sure nothing else got bent? frame or A arms. also is there an easy way to check if bearings are needing to be replaced.

Doesnt look like he was a big fan of maintenace as there are some rust spots on it, even on the chain. since it is my first quad i was asking him about the chain tightener and he was clueless, its never been adjusted ( the tension looked fine to me) so maybe it does not have many miles on it. who knows

The exhaust pipe was rusty too so he not a big fan of painting the pipe. also he hadnt changed to the oil since last years riding so it was darker but appears to have no water in it or particles. he was using some higher temp atv oil? whatever that is.

The pads all need to be replaced to so there has been some definate harder breaking going on.

tires look in good shape, no brake stands on pavement it appears.

The airbox and filter was quite dirty, hopefully the filter did its job.

i did not have time to do a compression test or even a full test ride yet. Next monday is the date for that. looks like job to even change the spark plug on this beast little alone do a compression test. ( majority of my toys have been 2 stroke) high maintence but typically easy access at everything.

the price seems right 5500 canadain ( new is 7800$). so for 1 year old it is 2300 $ off the price of new, sounds good to me or should i bargin some more.

lots of questions and i appreciate all the feed back. again newbie quader and need assistance.:confused:

-=Skot=-
05-14-2003, 06:16 PM
are you in canada? if so where? oh yeah personally i think you can do a little better on the price , but that sounds fair.

Mr. Tuesday
05-14-2003, 06:43 PM
i live in alberta and yes those big numbers are canadain dollars. you think that is high? 2300$ loss for 1 years riding? i dont see the logic in that. he is asking around 3500 us$ dollars or 5500 canadain$ dollars

zfire_28
05-14-2003, 07:01 PM
3500 US$ for a 2002. sounds like a pretty good deal as long as there are no mojor problems with it.

Stevie-D
05-15-2003, 12:42 AM
in my opinion, it sounds like there is just something waitin to go wrong. definately do a compression test on it. if i were you i would also check the frame(especially the shock mounts)for cracks, also for bends, usually in the front. check the subframe too. you said that he dumped it doing a wheelie, so make sure that the subframe didnt get screwed too.

05-15-2003, 05:41 AM
sound slike he abused that thing bad....I'd spend another $500 on a better 400 that is in better condition. make sure subframe isn't bent....probably dirt in engine if the stock air filter is on there & theres a bunch of dirt in the box.

Mr. Tuesday
05-15-2003, 08:14 AM
nothing looks bent and it seems to drive straight. no major bangs on it from what i can tell. i could not see any cracks in any joints. again everyone keeps telling me to "check" frame and sub frame. besides eyeballing it and running my hands on it what do you want me to actually do, again this is my first quad.

my compression tester wont work on it because there is not enough room, god you almost need a sharp 90 degree tester. what a pain. still i will pull the plug and have a look at the burn.

i compared it to my buddies 02 today and it looks to actually have less wear on it then my buddies( he is a clean freak and rides moderately) needless to say i will check it more closely on monday. if it checks out then i will be buying it.

GOMER007
05-15-2003, 08:29 AM
where in alberta do you live??
:ermm:

Mr. Tuesday
05-15-2003, 08:45 AM
red deer

250x#93
05-15-2003, 08:50 AM
It doesn't sound to bad, just normal wear. The stock pipe usually does rust:o And to check the axle bearings lift up the bike ( let a buddy lift it or use a jack) and wiggle the axle up and down, if it moves alot the bearings are shot they shouldn't really move at all. Make sure when u wiggle the axle make sure the swingarm doesnt wiggle because they should be tight to:devil Also wit the bearings when u spin the axle or the wheel, there shouldn't be that much resistance if there making a squeking sound or scraping sound there not good either. So just make sure to check it out, sounds like u allready checked it out pretty well.:devil Hope it helps

-=Skot=-
05-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Tuesday
i live in alberta and yes those big numbers are canadain dollars. you think that is high? 2300$ loss for 1 years riding? i dont see the logic in that. he is asking around 3500 us$ dollars or 5500 canadain$ dollars

Yes, I do think the price is a little high for a neglected, somewhat abused 2002 400ex. And i read the post and i am aware that the amount is in canadian dollars. I live in Nova Scotia, and here you can get a 2001 400ex in pretty near mint condition for around 4800 to 5300. Just look it over real well