PDA

View Full Version : oil help!

01400ex
05-14-2003, 04:24 PM
I just changed my oil and I put in 2 quarts and its reads about an inch up the dipstick. How much do 400s hold?

I put in 1 4/5 quarts. let it idle for a minute. Then checked it. and it was half way. So I put the rest of the quart in.

So after that I decided to adjust the valves. After I was done I fired her up for a couple mnutes and shut it done. I checked the oil and its mabey a half inch up the dipstick.

I let it drain the night before so its drained pretty well. I also changed the filter if that makes a difference.

How many quarts do you guys use to filler up?

Later Ryan H.

JOEX
05-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:

1. Make sure the vehical is on level ground.
2. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let it idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperatures is below 10*C (50*F), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (atotal of 10 minutes).
3. Stop the engine.
4. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil level should be between the upper level mark and the lower level mark on the dipstick.
6. If required, add the specified oil into the filler cap hole, up to the upper level mark on the dipstick. Do not over fill.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap dipstick.

CAUTION:
Running the engiine with the improper oil level can cause serious engine damage.

dsheola
06-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know how many cc's of oil you use in the 400ex?
This quad is new to me, and I want to know at least a rough estimate.

Thanks

Rip_Tear
06-11-2003, 01:17 PM
After filter change engine oil 1.8 liters or 1.9 US quats
with out filter change engine oil 1.85 liters or 1.95 US quarts

and the amout of oil in the tank should read between the 2 lines... thats the best I have...

dsheola
06-24-2003, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the help... 1 1/2 quarts seemed to work out better without a filter change. Its a little high when you first fill it but once you idle it for about a minute it filters through and it shows a little more than half way on the dipstick.

Thanks again

06-24-2003, 04:53 AM
i put in like 2.2 quarts.

also is it bad to run the quad with the dipstick out when u r checking the oil and adding oil?

MOFO
06-24-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
i put in like 2.2 quarts.

also is it bad to run the quad with the dipstick out when u r checking the oil and adding oil?

I dont think your gonna get a good reading if you do that...just shut it down.

I learned the hard way when I was young on my old yamaha. I left the quad running and pulled the dip stick out of the case (not oil ressy)....hot oil went flying when I pulled it out. I never did that again. :eek:

Bill Fuller
06-24-2003, 09:18 AM
I have always put in 2 quarts of oil and a new filter every oil change.

dsheola
06-24-2003, 04:56 PM
don't run it without the dipstick

that could be bad:ermm: