PDA

View Full Version : Scrambler water pump

jsjs97
05-14-2003, 04:19 PM
My wifes 2000 Scrambler 400 water pump is leaking and I was told that it was a recall. The person was not 100% positive, and I have not had a chance to call my dealer yet to confirm. So does anyone else know if this is true or am i stuck paying for it myself?

MIKE400EX
05-15-2003, 03:58 AM
I had a '98 explorer 400, same engine. It too had a leaking water pump when I bought it. The shaft on the impeller had grooves worn in it. I don't know if there was a recall but it happens to A LOT of them. I machined ours down, plasma sprayed it w/stainless steel and ground it back to size. Never had a problem after that. I've also seen them leak from being pitted (need to keep antifreeze fresh). While you're in there, there is a small hole in the back of the water pump housing on the outside of the boss that holds the seals and bearing - make sure that is not clogged or blocked off by an improperly positioned seal. Also, the two rubber lip seals only go in one way only - one keeps the oil from getting in and the other keeps the antifreeze from escaping.
Hope that helps.

lex luger
05-15-2003, 01:45 PM
mikes right that will fix it, i don't believe there was a recall on them, he might have just been saying that to sell it to you (i presume he was selling it?)