PDA

View Full Version : All you pros: need some cooler input

F-16Guy
05-14-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm installing a cooler for my top end. I don't like the ball bearing/JB Weld thing, and I think I've heard talk of a better option. I want to drill and tap the oil passage of the cylinder and insert a set screw with some loc-tite. Has anyone done this?? I did several searches, but didn't find anyone that did it that way. Sounds more reliable to me. Any pics would be great.

funluckey
05-14-2003, 02:10 PM
I used a 1/4 x 1/4 set screw when i made mine. I driiled and tapped the passege that feeds up to through the Cylinder to the head. You want to make sure you don"t drill to deep. I used a piece of tape around the drill bit to drill the depth just greater than the set screw so the tap could go deep enough . Tap it and loc-tite the set screw in. Make sure that it is flush with the case. The passage that runs on the side cover feeds your transmission and must stay open. "WATCH OUT FOR METAL SHAVINGS WHEN DRILLING". Sorry don't have any Pics Hope this helps.

F-16Guy
05-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks luckey. That's exactly what I had planned for mine. The engine is already apart, so I'll just bring the cylinder to work and let the machinists do it for me (hoorah Air Force!). The clutch cover and cylinder head cover are going to be drilled and tapped by ProFab ATV. Any other tips to make things go smoother?

funluckey
05-14-2003, 02:37 PM
It was really pretty easy after i got started with you haveing PRO FAB do the drilling and tapping on the clutch cover there shouldn't be any problems. That was a little tricky getting it lined up and tapped down far enough. " Your not using govn't fittings and line are you? I was in the Marines and remember things growing legs and walking off ". Just Kidden Ya.

F-16Guy
05-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by funluckey
... Your not using govn't fittings and line are you? I was in the Marines and remember things growing legs and walking off.
Noooo, I would never do that!! LOL!! :devil

44oEX
05-17-2003, 10:07 AM
could I just tap it where the litle hole is in the top of the head ( in the sleeve or wath ever )

F-16Guy
05-17-2003, 10:19 AM
NO! The fittings need to be installed in the right places. If they aren't, you'll have 1) A very hot top end 2) a flat cam and concaved rockers. If you don't know where they go, have the fittings installed by a professional that does.