PDA

View Full Version : How to Keep Ppl from Trashing the riding area?

RIjon
05-14-2003, 01:37 PM
I am pretty serious abo0t this

Ppl are Dumping junk and littering all over this place and it's just ametter of time before it's closed

So YET AGAIN......a small few Ruin it for all of us

I think I will just contact the Owner of the property and try to work out someking of arrangement where we can block it off to all cars/trucks and just let the bikes in

I really don't think there will be ANY way to end it completely

People are just careless and inconsiderate

I DO NOT want to lose this place ..it is the ONLY place we have

The owner was KIND enuff to let us ride there . I rather not blow it

Anyone ever delt with this ?

Thoughts,ideas ??

AtvMxRider
05-14-2003, 01:44 PM
The only problem with talking with the land owner is he may make everybody stay off. But I know how you feel it sucks.

RIjon
05-14-2003, 01:50 PM
chit ,

I would be willing to go around and clean the junk up just to show him that we Really DO want the place to ride

But without some kind of intervention they will continue to Dump stuff

That is the worst ...... the small litter (water bottle & food rappers) I can deal with

Today I almost hit a LARGE car battery someone tossed in the middle of the path

:mad:

AtvMxRider
05-14-2003, 02:14 PM
You can try just don't be shocked if he says stay off. It has alot ot do with Insuarance reasons. Cause if somebody gets hurt on his property he can be sued (a ****ed up law). You understand what I mean.

RIjon
05-14-2003, 02:17 PM
He legally allows everyone in

There is paperwork

But if ppl keep dumping stuff it won't be

Rip_Tear
05-14-2003, 02:23 PM
If I dont want people to ride on my land some where (they are all trails..) I just put tires across the trail to make it awkward to ride though, they usually get the idea, if not, thats when I make it so they can't go though.... drag a tree top in the way. Nothing dangerous, don't worry.

Ryan
05-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by RIjon
He legally allows everyone in

There is paperwork

But if ppl keep dumping stuff it won't be

Find out who litters there and tell the land owner to make sure he/she stays off the property. Another thing you can do like you mentioned, get together with your buddys once a week and clean up the trails :) .

RIjon
05-14-2003, 02:30 PM
This place is LARGE ..just 88 acres of openness

but from what I can see there are just TWO entraces large enough for a vehicle

I am not gonna block it off unless I get permission

Getting buddies together to clean up the area sounds like a great idea ..... till you ask them and suddenly they have other things to do

I will end up doing it myself I'm sure :ermm:

Sportrax10
05-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Talk to everyone you can that rides there about it and tell them to talk to everybody that they can. Put up some signs in the worst of the areas. Be nice about the whole thing though. Then when it stops if it does, get some people and clean all you can. Then talk to the owners.

300exTJjeeper
05-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Yeap your best bet is too set a clean up weekened for riding and picking up trash. We doing it all the time in Glamis. But for 88 acrs is not bad if you get some folks to help out. The best is to put up signs and maybe have a sign in sheet with phone numbers to rimber them about the clean up.

WIlliam

sportraxkid
05-14-2003, 04:01 PM
dont you hate it when just a few people can ruin it for everyone.:grr

RIjon
05-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by sportraxkid
dont you hate it when just a few people can ruin it for everyone.:grr

Yes I hate it, but that ain't gonna fix it

derekhonda
05-14-2003, 05:22 PM
maybe have him work in a new contract, if you ride here, every first sunday of the month you will be there to clean up, or you wont ride.

a really nice dirtbike club my friend belongs to have a set of 2 rules. you pay the dues each year, and you log in 20 hours of cleaning up the trails each year. thats seems fair to me

JTRtrx250r
05-14-2003, 06:20 PM
this kinda topic pisses me off b/c the exact same situation has happened here 3 times....and we ended up losing all of them b/c of drunk 4x'ers and losers dumping the garbage that they create,....damn thro-back losers:grr :mad:

I cant stand losers dumping garbage in the woods or on ppl land,especially the ones that are cool enough to let you ride there
(had to vent,sorry :D)
do All you can ,good luck

Loeryder
05-14-2003, 06:33 PM
What you do is respect the place you ride and if it takes cleaning up after someone then thats what it takes.

Now if you see someone actually littering that is different than assuming, that would be the time to explain to that person the importance of taking out what you brought in.

When we rest at the side of the trail I am always kicking off the big rocks & logs and pick up any litter, cans or crap I find laying around.
I don't go searching for it, but if I'm there resting anyways I do my part.

Ride smart and prosper.....