PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Stayin Runnin! PLZ HELP!!

JsnEX
05-14-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm having trouble keeping my 400EX running. I just got back after being gone for 2 months and having my quad stored in the garage and before i left it ran perfectly! Now, if i put it on full choke it starts up and idles fine and after a couple of mins i put it to half choke and it still idles fine but as soon as i move it to no choke, no matter how long i have let the bike run for to warm up, it just dies as if i hit the kill switch! Everytime! I thought that the air filter might be the problem but its pretty clean and i even took it off and it still does the same thing. I thought it could be the gas so i drained the tank completely then got some fresh gas and filled it up and still the same thing.
I'm thinking that it might be something in the carburator but i'm not sure. Please help me figure this out! Thanks alot for your help!

Ryan
05-14-2003, 01:37 PM
I've had a similar problem. Take your carburator apart and clean it. Its probably just a piece of dirt clogging one of your jets. Correct me if im wrong :ermm: .

Ryan
05-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Oh yeah, mess around with your idle screw and your air screw ;) .

300EX_HMF
05-14-2003, 02:31 PM
well i would say if its been in there for 2 months then id ay your gas is bad! just drain it and then put ne gas in it. and it probably wouldnt hurt to clean ur carbuerator after sitting for 2 months. once you get that done then it will be jist a dandy!!

300EX_HMF
05-14-2003, 02:33 PM
ohhh stupid me! i didnt read the whole post! well what RYAN said.

JsnEX
05-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the replys soo far! I guess i'll take apart my carburator tomorrow. Any suggestions on the best cleaning solvent!?

F-16Guy
05-14-2003, 04:07 PM
I think just some good carb cleaner (CRC) would clean out the gunk. Take your jets out and make sure there's no crap in them. After it's all together, you might think about an inline fuel filter (just a thought). The other guys are right, get some fresh gas. Burn the old stuff in your lawn mower.

pane2k
05-15-2003, 01:58 PM
id say the carb is probably defintly clogged up some where.

Chanman420q
05-15-2003, 02:20 PM
wow now i dont feel bad about this happening to me. I adjusted my idle screw with NO LUCK. I finnaly took it to a dealer.. and waht did they adjust the idle screw :rolleyes: turns out the cable that turns, was like stuck so it would only go so far. They just took needle nose pliars and turned it from the rear. Works fine now. Im sure thats ur problem. But i dont see how from just sitting it wouldnt work. But our problems are identicle. So give it ago

JsnEX
05-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Alright, i got some carburator cleaner and completely took my carb apart and cleaned all the jets and everything inside of it. Everything was pretty clean though. I put everything back together i'm still having the same problem. Does anyone know where the hose that comes off of the choke side of the carburator attaches to? When I took the carburator off i don't think this line was attached. I'm not sure if its a vent line or if it was supposed to be connected to something. Its a pretty long hose that extends from the carburator, attached right above the drain bolt, to the bottom of the engine. If anyone could tell me what it attaches to or take a picture of what it attaches to i would really appreciate it!

F-16Guy
05-15-2003, 05:45 PM
If it ain't the fuel line, it's a vent line. It sounds like it's too lean, and the choke is richening the mixture enough to run. Do you have the airscrew set correctly? It's the small flatblade screw on the bottom of the carb near the intake boot (engine side) facing straight down. Turn it in all the way in (clockwise) until it's LIGHTLY seated, and then back it out about 2 1/2--2 3/4 turns. After that, warm it up good and set the idle, the large bracket-mounted screw on the left side, under the carb. Good luck.