PDA

View Full Version : Heat Tape

honda270ex
05-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know of this heat tape. 300exquadracer has it on his quad and i was wondering where u could get this so called heat tape. i really need it because my exhaust is leaking and if there are any other solutions please tell me.

4TraxRider
05-14-2003, 02:42 PM
You usually use heat tape to keep a pipe or header from melting something. If you have a leak, use high temp silicoln.

cals400ex
05-14-2003, 02:45 PM
where is it leaking? at the header and silencer connection? if it is here, just put in a new gasket.

cals400ex
05-14-2003, 02:47 PM
sorry, i just noticed you have a big gun pipe. with that pipe i would bet it may be leaking at the rivots. those pipes are known to do that. i don't know how long you have had that pipe, but you may be able to send it in and see if they can fix it. my friend big gun leaks too.

honda270ex
05-14-2003, 04:10 PM
o ok so i guess i can leave it for now untilll i put on the big gun header

Varmit57
05-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Heat tape is also used to help keep the header warm so the air flows better, works great on built motors!!!!

cals400ex
05-14-2003, 06:59 PM
i know with the 400ex, the factory header is smaller than the big gun header. this means you can't use the factory header with the complete system silencer. i am not sure how it is on the 250 but on the 400ex, the complete systems silencer is a bigger diameter than the slip on silencer. so, if you have a leak at the connection of silencer/header, it may be from the reason i just stated.

zephead400ex
05-15-2003, 08:53 AM
My exhaust leaks at the header/silencer connection. What gasket is there to replace? My exhaust shoots back up onto the motor, getting black sh*t all over everything.

peace

cals400ex
05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
i know on the factory pipe there is a gasket that goes on the end of the header and then you slide the header into the silencer. i would assume that there should be a gasket there also on your WB exhaust system. i took the gasket out on mine and it then leaked there also. the gasket is made out of some type of weak metal. it is bendable. i went to the dealer and picked up a new gasket and no more leaks. however, i would assume that the gasket needed for your pipe would be bigger than the factory one since the header is a little bigger.

honda270ex
05-18-2003, 01:24 PM
is this heat tape permanent? cus i got some and if its permanent them im not using it. well i talked to my tech teacher at my school and he said i could take an aluminim soda can , cut off the top and bottom, take off my header slip it around the outside and then connect the pipes, slip it over the connection, use metal hose clamps the clamp down the can and then use the stock clamp. would this stop the leaks? would the can melt? im going to try this and i will tell u if it will work or not.

"BLAHH"300!!
05-18-2003, 10:20 PM
....hey,
i gatta see this 270ex man...
you gatta'lota'stuff on that bike...i don't doubt you, i just wanna see how it turned out.....why didn't you pick a sportier quad to put all these mods on?....you pay what....3, $4 for the 250ex?
nice used 300EX's, X's and 250r's out ther for that price.......
(i get the "buy a 400" thing too, i'm not bashing,...curious.)

heat tape, it's like a sticker, that reflects heat.
it's thick stuff, and has some pretty stought adhesive on it.
but it's still a sticker, so it's not permanent. it'll leave some sticky stuff on there. use Goo-Gone for that though.

honda270ex
05-19-2003, 09:39 AM
o well i dont need it anymore cus i just got a dial-a-jet and so im just gonna put on the big gun header with it so it wont leak.ill probably still use it just for extra protection. ill give u guyz a update with the dial a jet. later

brokeitin3
05-20-2003, 01:07 AM
if you run your quad without the airbox lid the dial a jet is basically useless. and you gotta jet it lean to get the dial a jet in range to even work at all. its a trial and error thing but youll get it. and dont install a webcam with the powroll kit unless you reinstall the factory rocker arm, your timing will be outta sync if you dont.

honda270ex
05-20-2003, 01:46 PM
Well i run with my lid on and im just gonna put on my aftermarket header and i was wonder if i have stock jets and then a dial jet with complete pipes... would it work?