PDA

View Full Version : Stock A-Arm Mod

rob12
05-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Alright here goes, I've got 3 sets of stock a-arms for a 400ex... all of them the ball joints are bad or broken. Someone once told me that you can cut off the old 400 ball joint and put a laeger or whatever through it. I've been pondering the idea, has anyone heard of such a thing, or is this heap of a-arms just that a heap??? Looks like it could be done with bushings. Cost vs reward???

hinchman68
05-14-2003, 11:21 AM
We have cut our upper A-Arm for two reasons! One if you have a bad ball joint it can be replaced, and Two you can get about an inch off the top and this will give you better camber.. This will help with cornering.. when cutting the top make sure that you cut it with the same angle that the ball joint is. you will have to use a washer on the end with the new ball joint.

DoPeExRiDeR20
05-14-2003, 12:41 PM
where did u cut tht 1in off off?

UglyMotha™
05-15-2003, 05:47 AM
this is what i did, you might have to do a little research though but i believe the ball joints off a 71 ford courier are the same ones and be sure to get the moog then i ground the lips of the back of all the ball joints and the the inards out of the stocker and then with the inards of the moog consist of a seat plate and a spring take that along with the backing plate from the moog and assemble it in your stocker and then compress it with a vise and then i tigged the moog cap to the back of the stocker the screw the grease fitting in the pump it full of grease and hit the trails, nehow, that's what i did with mine:o

lil400exman
05-15-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by hinchman68
We have cut our upper A-Arm for two reasons! One if you have a bad ball joint it can be replaced, and Two you can get about an inch off the top and this will give you better camber.. This will help with cornering.. when cutting the top make sure that you cut it with the same angle that the ball joint is. you will have to use a washer on the end with the new ball joint.

hey tj! nice talkin with ya..............you should see the r now..................did you know the pipe u had on there was for a atc:blah i am fixin her up now man lol..................we should go riding sometime...............

Martin Blair
05-15-2003, 06:43 AM
dont you ahve to weld tubes into the a arms to put in leegars ball joints?

lil400exman
05-15-2003, 06:45 AM
no whati did with mine is press a new sleeve into the oem exsisting tube there and inserted the ford couriers................that is so i can ride woods.......... my plus 4's hinder woods riding:devil :eek2: but i am looking to see if i can relocate my oem backet to accept my axis lt shocks...............:cool:

DoPeExRiDeR20
05-15-2003, 11:20 AM
got any pics of yours too see how it looks after u do tht, i wanna see how far out the tires set inwards...