PDA

View Full Version : Off topic: Why do people lie?

SGA
05-14-2003, 07:47 AM
We seem to have a pretty smart bunch here at EXRiders, thought I would get your opinions. Caught a good show about human nature on The Learning Channel recently. I have thought about this stuff for years, and almost became a psychology major. (Thank goodness I didn't);)
Anyway, why do people lie so much? Our society seems geared towards it, advertisments lie to us about their product, people lie to our face all day long and not give it a second thought. Why dont they just tell the truth? Low self esteem? They just dont care? I've come to realize, its almost like a game. Lying to make yourself or others look and feel better about themselves. Maybe its just a way to cope with the hard truths in life. If you say "everyone lies, so I might as well too", does that justify its ok to lie?
I have always tried to tell the truth, no matter what. Of course, sometimes you have to be tactful with what you say, in order to not hurt feelings, or not to get shot :D
Anyway, what are everyones opinion on this?

blondie69
05-14-2003, 07:56 AM
people lie to save their rep, save their pride, saving from someone to get hurt, can't say no, and so on. And then theres jus ppls that EVERY word that comes outa their mouth is a lie. 2 of my ex best friends were like that, I won't get into detail on what they told me. jus everytime they said something, the story changed...and it wasn't jus a lil detail, it was like a almost completly story.
and then theres the sayin "is it better to tell a lie that draws a smile? or the truth that draws a tear?" I'd say draw the tear because if u really love someone then u should be able to tell them anything, even if it might hurt them...they might forgive u.

lil400exman
05-14-2003, 07:58 AM
hmm good post.....................just the way this world is headin i guess............:ermm: :(

UglyMotha™
05-14-2003, 08:07 AM
if a chronic liar told you that he was a chronic liar, would you believe him:confused:

just a thought:huh

lil400exman
05-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
if a chronic liar told you that he was a chronic liar, would you believe him:confused:

just a thought:huh
why does ur name have TM behind it uglymutha?:confused: i know its a trade mark but of what?:confused:

UglyMotha™
05-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
why does ur name have TM behind it uglymutha?:confused: i know its a trade mark but of what?:confused:

of me, now give me 10 bucks for using my name i'll pm you my address:p

wilkin250r
05-14-2003, 08:34 AM
of me, now give me 10 bucks for using my name i'll pm you my address:p

But he said "uglymutha" You can't trademark incorrect spellings.:D

UglyMotha™
05-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
But he said "uglymutha" You can't trademark incorrect spellings.:D

DOH:eek:

Dune Surfer
05-14-2003, 09:09 AM
I know people who would rather lie than tell the truth. Whats the point. I try to live by simple rules, Tell the truth, don't cheat on your wife, be a good person, don't judge others and treat people with the same respect you want. Is It so hard?

lil400exman
05-14-2003, 09:09 AM
DOH:eek:
see i have been around the business a few times.................but why? does it make u feel special.........:confused: :blah

05-14-2003, 09:12 AM
do you have a copy of the receipt when you paid to get your name trademarked.....I'd like to see it.....liar :)

UglyMotha™
05-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
see i have been around the business a few times.................but why? does it make u feel special.........:confused: :blah

I am special, very special

least my mom says i am :uhoh:

lil400exman
05-14-2003, 09:30 AM
I am special, very special

yes for one uglymutha......................

least my mom says i am :uhoh: :macho

XANDADA
05-14-2003, 09:34 AM
http://www.rriders.com/trx250r_forum/images/smile2/bong.gif We lie because no one really wants the truth. Lies are easier, more interesting, dare I say more familiar. The truth is hard, not nearly as interesting and often more foreign to our ears. :huh :eek2:

monkeyboy
05-14-2003, 09:50 AM
momma maks us eet saop win we lie to her:scary:

slappy liez to her all da timm bout stuff:eek:

Doibugu2
05-14-2003, 09:55 AM
I think people lie mostly because they are lazy and/or overestimate there abilities. Example, your boss asks if you can do a project for him. Of course you say yes, but you either don't know how to do the project and instead of telling the truth you lie to cover your butt. Or your just lazy and don't make the sacrifices to get the project done and you again have to lie to cover your butt.

People are so afraid of hard work these days. You challenge someone and they just crumple like a paper bag.

JMO

Mxbubs
05-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Tell the truth always,and it will make you invincible. You will not hesitate to stand up to anyone. Telling the truth all the time makes you stronger willed, lying weakens you.

Pappy
05-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Tell the truth always,and it will make you invincible. You will not hesitate to stand up to anyone. Telling the truth all the time makes you stronger willed, lying weakens you.

:huh bubs...i agree with you...wtf:D

HoNdAdude48
05-14-2003, 10:23 AM
wow, good post, i will admit a tell atleast 1 lie a day, i do try and tell the truth the most i can, but most of the time when i do i dont even think about it, i know its wrong to lie, and the sad part is there are a large # of chronic liars at my school, and all of them go to church and think there such christians, i mean im not sayin that youll go to hell if you lie, im just sayin that these people lie about some very serious things, and they still go on like its nothing. even making fun of people seems to make people think there cool in this society, but mostly i think people lie cuz of there rep, or popularity, i mean u dont have to lie to be cool, people think im cool and i treat every one equal, i dont care about popularity or my rep, its just the world were in these days has gotten horrible.

:cool:

Giz400ex
05-14-2003, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't really call it lieing, I call it BS'n!! For example your boss, they constantly tell you that there gettin this for you and we're gettin this for another person and " Oh yeah, there's gonna be job cuts but you'll be safe" but then a week later you were actually one of the people getting laid off!! (this was just an example, hasn't happened to me yet) Most of these types of people that BS or lie do it because they feel like there more superior than you and they actually think that they got you thinking something that is true but it isn't. Its just the way the world is and its not gonna change. These types of people are everywhere. The only thing I do is, goes through 1 ear and out the other and whatever happens........happens:D Or you can use the phrase "I'll believe it when I see it":)

Dune Surfer
05-14-2003, 01:58 PM
If you tell the truth you never have to remember what you said;)

zzbudzz
05-14-2003, 02:11 PM
of me, now give me 10 bucks for using my name i'll pm you my address:p lmao!

Rip_Tear
05-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Here's what I think... (well from experience I guess)

People lie when; they can't remember, when the truth just sounds that bad..., they get caught up in the moment, they are trying to feel better for them selves or make themselves seem better then they are. JMO

upstate rider
05-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by SGA

Anyway, what are everyones opinion on this? Doesn't sound like you would do good in politics :eek2:

CBRSLIDER
05-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Doesn't sound like you would do good in politics

ha ha. I have to agree. I would hate to see SGA get eaten up by those other lien, cheaten, doubledealen,.......politicians. But it would be nice to have someone honest as a politician. SGA what do ya say? You want to run for gov. of PA?

SGA
05-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by upstate rider
Doesn't sound like you would do good in politics :eek2:
I fail to recall that specific period of events, but I can assure you, I had no knowledge of any wrong doing. Next question please.....:o

05-15-2003, 01:25 AM
Hmmmm ya wonder if this whole thread is one big lie? Or is that just BS?:D

Lets not confuse ones ability to get lost in their own fantasies and straight forward lying because when someone believes their own BS they think they are being truthfull.

I have often wondered how many of peoples lies are just part of their own denial. As people many of us have a need to ignore or change what we see in our surroundings or lives etc.

upstate rider
05-15-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I fail to recall that specific period of events, but I can assure you, I had no knowledge of any wrong doing. Next question please.....:o Sounds great ........ If nothing else he all now know that a ( Bj ) not sex :D But to be on the safe side don't save the dress :eek:

upstate rider
05-15-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Next question please.....:o PS almost forgot Did you let your kids believe in Santa , Easter Bunny , Tooth Farie or why you had the bedroom locked with mommy. Maybe the biggest one of all where someone came up with saying truth comes from the mouth of babes ............ And how about those old girl friends was it love or maybe lust ? :eek2: So maybe sometimes it Ok :devil if it's only aliitle white lie

airheadedduner
05-15-2003, 05:29 AM
To be accepted. Look at how people live today. They are all trying to be apart of a group. It is a one of the basic human needs, to be accepted, to socailize. And to be accepted we make up false images of ourselfs for others to believe. It is a sad thing. It shows how messed up society is. I blame TV and the internet. When a kid watches TV he wants so much to be like what he sees. He is givin an unrealistic view of reality, his preception is altered. It is just strait ------ up. I see it all the time. I talked to this 12 year old kid the other day who thinks he is the next RC. He starts telling me about how great of a rider he is. No matter what I said he did it to, and better. I know this one kid that will say anything to be accepted and be included in a group. He has bought hundreds of dollars in products that he will never use and has no interest in just to have something in common with other people. He even told us he had sex with his hot cusin(he claims they didn't know they where related) once to start a conversation. And the worst part is when we started to make fun of him he gave us more details cause it was getting him more attention. I live to what I say(well I try too), I don't lie, and I strait up tell people what I think. It has worked for me and I don't understand why some people are so afraid of the truth. Well my rant is done.:macho

...........the system!!!

If you want to hear a good song about not lieing download
No Reason Why by Pennywise, it is awesome:cool:

infantry317
05-15-2003, 07:16 AM
Hmmm, Spoon is your son isn't he...:devil
Sounds familiar.

Mxbubs
05-15-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
:huh bubs...i agree with you...wtf:D

I dont know if I should take that as a compliment or insult?:D

SGA
05-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
Hmmm, Spoon is your son isn't he...:devil
Sounds familiar.
LOL, I'm never gonna live this down. Spoon was messing with everyone awhile back, posting way out stuff to get a rise out of people. I got onto him about that. As far as the lying thread, I was just curious for some other opinions.
As far as lying, i guess you just have to be comfortable with how much you want to stretch the truth. Theres no need to ruin a childs happiness by telling them theres no santa, or no tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. Of course, theres no need to lie to older kids about the dangers in the world either. Heading to meet someone this afternoon, Spoon and I took a shortcut through the back of town, showed spoon the slums, drug houses, prositutes, drunks on the corner, etc. Wanted to show him where you end up when you get on drugs. When we met my friend, told him where we had cut through. He laughed and said to Spoon: "I guess your dad showed you where you DONT want to go!"

infantry317
05-15-2003, 03:22 PM
I just had to rib the old man...:devil

BadA$$440
05-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by SGA
. Theres no need to ruin a childs happiness by telling them theres no santa, or no tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc.

WHAT!!!!
NO SANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY MOM LIED TO ME!:mad: :mad: :grr :mad: :grr :mad: :grr :mad:

Dune Surfer
05-15-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
To be accepted. Look at how people live today. They are all trying to be apart of a group. It is a one of the basic human needs, to be accepted, to socailize. And to be accepted we make up false images of ourselfs for others to believe. It is a sad thing. It shows how messed up society is. I blame TV and the internet. When a kid watches TV he wants so much to be like what he sees. He is givin an unrealistic view of reality, his preception is altered. It is just strait ------ up. I see it all the time. I talked to this 12 year old kid the other day who thinks he is the next RC. He starts telling me about how great of a rider he is. No matter what I said he did it to, and better. I know this one kid that will say anything to be accepted and be included in a group. He has bought hundreds of dollars in products that he will never use and has no interest in just to have something in common with other people. He even told us he had sex with his hot cusin(he claims they didn't know they where related) once to start a conversation. And the worst part is when we started to make fun of him he gave us more details cause it was getting him more attention. I live to what I say(well I try too), I don't lie, and I strait up tell people what I think. It has worked for me and I don't understand why some people are so afraid of the truth. Well my rant is done.:macho

...........the system!!!

If you want to hear a good song about not lieing download
No Reason Why by Pennywise, it is awesome:cool:

Good for you dude. Lieing is for people who don't respect themselves
;) ;) ;) ;)

05-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Sad thing is you can (and I have) lost a lot of friends, jobs, and gf's just by saying it like it is :D

Some peeps cant handle the truth and are too used to hearing the acceptable :devil

upstate rider
05-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by SGA
LOL, I'm never gonna live this down. I couldn't help myself I saw the rise's on the water and I had a box shiney hooks and wanted to see if I could a hook up , not to worry this is a catch and release zone ............ And if nothing else paybacks are ........ well you know ;)

SGA
05-17-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by upstate rider
I couldn't help myself I saw the rise's on the water and I had a box shiney hooks and wanted to see if I could a hook up , not to worry this is a catch and release zone ............ And if nothing else paybacks are ........ well you know ;)
You hadnt had any coffee yet when you posted this, did you?:D

JTRtrx250r
05-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Dont lie,...b/c you might not remember the bs you told the night b4:D

Dune Surfer
05-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
Dont lie,...b/c you might not remember the bs you told the night b4:D

so true:D

nojoke4stroke
05-17-2003, 10:43 PM
hmmmmm,very interesting replies to this but have any of you realized this.look at your own government as the point of origin of lies.we sanction arms capabilities on this country in conjunction with the UN,which means we regulate what weapons they can have,right down to the smallest caliber pistol,then we invade them with our elite troops and call it a war,THATS NOT A WAR THATS AN INVASION and as for lies peep this,their museum in baghdad was #2 on the list of preserved sites by the UN,a.k.a. places to protect.where the very first records of human civilization is recorded let alone the word democracy(yes democracy was invented in iraq)was invented,and their museum was 1 of the first places hit by looters not to mention the what 6 million dollars found on US soldiers.but what did we hear on the news,it was vigilante looters and a lone crazy US soldier that was tryin to confiscate that money.currently we have an american oil company there controlling the flow of their oil that was supposedly all for the people of iraq but do you really believe theyre getting the income from it?????i am so ashamed of my country right now because of this,
its not the people its the government, thats no excuse,look at all the men and women that were killed defending our country because our government told them it was time.

upstate rider
05-18-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SGA
You hadnt had any coffee yet when you posted this, did you?:D It must have been the 1st of the day , I need something to start the day off on right foot :p

Dune Surfer
05-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by nojoke4stroke
hmmmmm,very interesting replies to this but have any of you realized this.look at your own government as the point of origin of lies.we sanction arms capabilities on this country in conjunction with the UN,which means we regulate what weapons they can have,right down to the smallest caliber pistol,then we invade them with our elite troops and call it a war,THATS NOT A WAR THATS AN INVASION and as for lies peep this,their museum in baghdad was #2 on the list of preserved sites by the UN,a.k.a. places to protect.where the very first records of human civilization is recorded let alone the word democracy(yes democracy was invented in iraq)was invented,and their museum was 1 of the first places hit by looters not to mention the what 6 million dollars found on US soldiers.but what did we hear on the news,it was vigilante looters and a lone crazy US soldier that was tryin to confiscate that money.currently we have an american oil company there controlling the flow of their oil that was supposedly all for the people of iraq but do you really believe theyre getting the income from it?????i am so ashamed of my country right now because of this,
its not the people its the government, thats no excuse,look at all the men and women that were killed defending our country because our government told them it was time.

Soapbox please. lol

Leo
05-18-2003, 07:28 AM

Speaking of BS and lies.. There's so much here I had to put on my hip waders.

Leo

airheadedduner
05-18-2003, 07:32 AM

Your that one protester with the "smoke bud not bagdad" sign huh:p :blah j/p;)

Yeah, the government lies, but do you think the general public can handle the truth?? Do you think they wanna hear that?? Nope, they want to hear that we are doing the right thing. A mob is only as smart as the dumbest person in it. I have had enough of the govenrment lying crap. All week in class we have had huge debates about it. Arguing with my economics professer has really tought me alot about the whole mid-east deal. Please don't turn this political:o

lex luger
05-18-2003, 08:05 AM
this is exriders.com people...not selfhelp.org