PDA

View Full Version : ? about lifting trucks

cudaman
05-14-2003, 05:23 AM
hey, i have a 96 ranger ext cab v6 3.2 lt 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed. i want to prerunner it out. what do you guys suggest. someone told me about auto fab and fabtech but thats it. what do you guys recommend.

2k2-300exnj
05-14-2003, 05:49 AM
rangers are sick... but u have to make it like this to be kool...
460 with about 400hp, 44" tires, custom 16 or so inch lift, roll cage, and some other crazy mud bog mods
lol or u could just buy a fabtech kit so u dont get stuck in the snow

RytM1
05-14-2003, 05:59 AM
Cuda, go to www.explorer4x4.com it is mostly a Ford Explorer site, but has a forum in the message board area for Rangers.

05-14-2003, 06:15 AM
check out kits by trailmaster or superlift

cudaman
05-14-2003, 09:10 AM
2k2-i wish i could afford all that, that would be sick. but for now i am going to have to go with the little kits, and besides i want to prerunner it not make it a monster truck. anyone else got some ideas? btw this truck is for the dunes. so i ahve to be able to make it out there without getting stuck.

300exTJjeeper
05-14-2003, 10:13 AM
humm the dunes., Just go with Rancho kits, I take you don't want to go wild with it. Good prices includes what you need. But one think also you might want to think of is your gears your running in your axels. Those will make a huge diffence depending on what size tire you want to get.

But yeah if you got any questions hit me up, not a problem

02Yellow400
05-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Skyjacker would be my suggestion. Cant go wrong with them

cudaman
05-14-2003, 11:26 AM
actually i would like to get kinda crazy in it. i like jumping anything i get my hands on. and im prob going to change my gears to 4.56 posi.

BornOnFire
05-14-2003, 12:20 PM
I put a Trailmaster 6" on my Yota. Runs clean and looks bad *****. Lookie here!

http://www.tbfdotcom.com/burby/truckpics/James/JamesDoubleCab.htm

tants
05-14-2003, 12:43 PM
tuffcountry makes some sick products, id check them out to see if they make anything for your truck...

i think its www.tuffcountry.com or www.toughcountry.com

FourFiftyFour
05-14-2003, 01:29 PM
FabTech makes some of the best lifts for 2 wheel drive trucks.......

Ask the guys on the bbs service at www.off-road.com there are a LOT of ppl in forums for about everything off-road related u can think of

killed300ex
05-14-2003, 01:39 PM
not to flame but put your money back in your pocket slap a for sale sign on your truck buy a 4x4 then think about lifting it i wouldnt waste my time or yours on lifting a 2x4 unless you do a sfa conversion on yours untess it already has it but i still think it would be a waste to lift a 2 wd
killed

FourFiftyFour
05-14-2003, 03:17 PM
hey its his money... go for it... haha at least he is not LOWERING it..... UGH thats so...... ugly..... lol, put some Super Swamper Boggers on it :D

300exTJjeeper
05-14-2003, 04:04 PM
yeap 4.56 gears are very good for offroading, If I were you I would make a drive to the main wherehouse of 4Wheel Parts, I know the manager over there. Gives awesome deals that nobody can not beat. Went through like 4 different man. looking for the right lift for my Jeep, did not like any of them so I built my own.

But rancho got the best lift and it handle your abuse you are going to put it through.

FourFiftyFour
05-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 300exTJjeeper
yeap 4.56 gears are very good for offroading, If I were you I would make a drive to the main wherehouse of 4Wheel Parts, I know the manager over there. Gives awesome deals that nobody can not beat. Went through like 4 different man. looking for the right lift for my Jeep, did not like any of them so I built my own.

But rancho got the best lift and it handle your abuse you are going to put it through.

Hehehehe I get a discount at 4Wheel Parts b/c I'm from the same city as Travis Elliot (pro 125 sx and mx rider) hahaha I got my 4Wheel Parts Banner on my truck :) everyone knows which is my truck ;)

kaneman23
05-15-2003, 03:01 AM
That's a nice looking truck!

cudaman
05-15-2003, 03:53 AM
well i thought about selling it. but i have heard 2 wheel drive isnt that bad. and actually when you prerunner a truck isnt it supposed to be two wheel drive?? anyway i am just ogin to stay with the two wheel drive. and actually i already ahve a guy that can get me anything at cost. and you cant get any cheaper then that soooo. any other ideas. thanks guys for all your info. and i didnt take it as a flame :) your just giving your input

300exTJjeeper
05-15-2003, 04:05 AM
cuda, how is the weather over there in Pismo, thinking about making a run over there early next month

cudaman
05-15-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by 300exTJjeeper
cuda, how is the weather over there in Pismo, thinking about making a run over there early next month

ITS PISMO, of course its beautiful! lol its nice right now but the weather changes so much so quick here its hard to tell. but chances are it will be nice. kinda windy lately though :rolleyes:

XANDADA
05-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Ya, I thought the whole idea of a prerunner was 2wd:confused:

cudaman
05-15-2003, 10:25 AM
bump

2k2-300exnj
05-15-2003, 12:22 PM
i need new pix of mine...
get a 4" lift, 35" boggers in the back, 35" swampers up front...
the reason for this is because i kno in mud we run this combo because the boggers dont steer very well in the really loose stuff so im guessing it would be similar in sand...
and punch that v6 out a little if it is going to be a street truck just put heads, headers, flowmasters(dynaflow magnaflow whatever) exhausts, msd ignition, bosch platinum +4 plugs, that should do it for a street combo...
if it is just for dunes run open headers and advance the timing with the same set up... u will be tearin everything up

cableman
05-15-2003, 12:36 PM
try mcneiloff-road.com if you are thinking of a long travel suspension for your ranger

Merriman
05-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Since your in Ca. (some what SoCal...) Don't lift it like a back east mud truck, you will be nothing but laughed at. (don't want to offend, just telling you the truth)

Go here: www.race-dezert.com , Then go to the linkz section. There are about a thousand links to click on for information. Anything from mild to wild with the prerunners. The Ford Ranger is the best thing to start with.

http://prerunners.com/bigair/aglamis1.jpg

http://www.race-dezert.com/pix/albums/album19/IMG_0739.jpg

cudaman
05-15-2003, 06:04 PM
i wasnt going to lift it like back east mudders. i dont think it looks good raised all kinds. but i do want to prerunner it.

also its going to be street and dunes. its my only ride at the moment. so what do you suggest. i am prob not going to punch it out right now. i dont ahve that kind of money at the moment.

yeah thats what i here about the rangers. they are GREAT for prerunnering because of the ibeam suspension set up right?

Red00Honda400EX
05-15-2003, 06:17 PM
I've seen trucks just like that one up there jump before. I watched it come into the dunes and i was like man that things bad I want. Then I watched it leave the dunes on a flat bed and I just laughed.

Merriman
05-16-2003, 03:11 AM
The ford ranger is ideal for the economics because they are like a 400ex, with every aftermarket part available to them. I would start with a set of camburg engineering's I-beams, coils, and a set of 2.0 fox shocks(you can get rezzies, or not) for the front, and if you can't afford to do the rear at the same time, you can get lift blocks to put between the springs, and rear end for the time being. For the rear end, if I wasn't going to 4-link it, then I would call National Spring Co. in Santee Ca. and get a set of their long travel ranger rear springs, do a shackle flip, notch the frame so they can suck up alittle more, and get another set of fox 2.0 shocks(you can either cut holes in the bed, or find an alternate method to mount them) You can search around www.off-road.com to see how to complete the shackle flip. If you do the lift right, then you will be able to get 16 inches of usable wheel travel on all wheels, and it will probably be in the neighborhood of 4000.00 depending on how much sweet talking you do. There are alot of other ways to go, but this is usually the route most take in the begginning. I say begginning cause I have a friend that started like this, and now has almost 30,000.00 into his ranger........It's bad......

cudaman
05-16-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
The ford ranger is ideal for the economics because they are like a 400ex, with every aftermarket part available to them. I would start with a set of camburg engineering's I-beams, coils, and a set of 2.0 fox shocks(you can get rezzies, or not) for the front, and if you can't afford to do the rear at the same time, you can get lift blocks to put between the springs, and rear end for the time being. For the rear end, if I wasn't going to 4-link it, then I would call National Spring Co. in Santee Ca. and get a set of their long travel ranger rear springs, do a shackle flip, notch the frame so they can suck up alittle more, and get another set of fox 2.0 shocks(you can either cut holes in the bed, or find an alternate method to mount them) You can search around www.off-road.com to see how to complete the shackle flip. If you do the lift right, then you will be able to get 16 inches of usable wheel travel on all wheels, and it will probably be in the neighborhood of 4000.00 depending on how much sweet talking you do. There are alot of other ways to go, but this is usually the route most take in the begginning. I say begginning cause I have a friend that started like this, and now has almost 30,000.00 into his ranger........It's bad......

damn thats a lil more then i wanted to spend but im open to all suggestions. anyway can you get pics of your friends ranger. that would be cool to see it. and i dont plan on putting 20000 in my ranger anytime soon. lol thats more then the truck is worth HA

UglyMotha™
05-16-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by cudaman
hey, i have a 96 ranger ext cab v6 3.2 lt 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed. i want to prerunner it out. what do you guys suggest. someone told me about auto fab and fabtech but thats it. what do you guys recommend.

that would be a 3.0 not a 3.2 :p

cudaman
05-16-2003, 05:18 AM
yeah its a 3.0 my bad. i hit the wrong key i guess :)

UglyMotha™
05-16-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by cudaman
yeah its a 3.0 my bad. i hit the wrong key i guess :)

its all good, i gotta 95 xlt i would love to lift her but it's 2wd and just isn't right personal opinion though:p

Merriman
05-16-2003, 06:57 AM
Here's a 2wd ranger......grant he has about 100K in to it, but these go everywhere.

http://www.go-desert.com/photos/PRERUNS/riv-prerun6.JPG

The reason alot of people around here (southern U.S.) use 2wd trucks is because we don't have the "mud boggs" and hilly climbs that back east have. We have desert, where it's whoop'd out, sandy, long straights and elements where we don't neccessarily need 4wd. We are more interested in wheel travel, and if you don't have that live axle up front, you can get much more for cheaper, and the speed factor. it's hard top get a 4wd truck to go 100mph+ off-road unless you have a chit load of money invested in it.

On average most prerunners have 16" or more wheel travel on all four corners. The real good ones have 22+, and I've seen some with 36" in front, and 48" in the rear. I go to the Baja, and desert races all the time (in fact I'll be at the Baja 500 next week for prerunning) and we bring 2 types of vehicles. The prerunner: this vehicle pre-runs the course because the rules stipulate that you can not take the racecar on the course until race day. So you want your prerunner to be as equal to the actual racecar so you get the best feel for the course. We also bring chase vehicles: These are the jeeps, and parts haulers so if our racecar breaks down and needs to be towed....key word towed, then we have a good 4wd truck to tow it out with. Our 2wd prerunners don't tow, it way to hard to do this. Now you canmake a good prerunner / chaser out of 4wd trucks, if you have the money but 2wd is the most economic way to go.

here's a video of a 2wd truck in action 2wd truck.... (http://race-dezert.com/motion/unsorted/tt66b.mpg)

I don't think you'll get to many mud trucks to do that..... bottom line is we do different types of off-roading that require a different type of setup.

cudaman
05-16-2003, 09:13 AM
that vid was sick. got anymore?? keep posting peeps this is interesting! :) thanks for the info

2k2-300exnj
05-16-2003, 10:09 AM
:eek: im scared... im gonna tr it with the 44s and big block :devil :macho :ermm: :confused2

HONDAofTROY100
05-17-2003, 03:03 AM
your goin the wrong way... drop it... :cool:

cudaman
05-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by HONDAofTROY100
your goin the wrong way... drop it... :cool:

thats cool and all but dude thats not very practicle for me. i live a mile away from the pismo dunes. a slammed truck isnt going to get me very far into the dunes and im gonna need to get out there once i get my R this summer(hopefully)

Merriman
05-19-2003, 05:37 AM
Most of this stuff I'm posting, like the video is from www.race-dezert.com . They have tons of info on prerunners.

cudaman
05-19-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
Most of this stuff I'm posting, like the video is from www.race-dezert.com . They have tons of info on prerunners.

yeah i found the site by looing at the link properties. i think i watched almost all of the movies on there. lol that one is bad where he gets almost perpendicular to the ground and still pulls it off. i hope thats me someday :)