PDA

View Full Version : :'(

mysticfalcon
05-14-2003, 04:04 AM
the chain was tight and the sprockets have about 6 hours on them. anyone have anyidea what caused it before I throw everything back together?

knighttime
05-14-2003, 04:30 AM
little more info would be nice, it looks like your chain broke?

eldoexrider01
05-14-2003, 04:32 AM
did it get a piece of your case???? what type of chain and sprockets were you running??

UglyMotha™
05-14-2003, 04:36 AM
looks like it ****ed up:p

a little info would be nice:confused:

speedy400
05-14-2003, 04:51 AM
All new chains stretch, some more than others, a buddy of mine had the same thing happen to his 250r, it prolly came off the rear sprocket, and somehow caught on something and buckled or broke. I feel sorry for ya, it happens.-darren

forum
05-14-2003, 05:25 AM
I did the exact same thing to my R. Bent the shift shaft and screwed the case. I parted the thing out after that. YOu may be able to get it welded. Once you fix it put a chain guide onto your swingarm. just Tap your stock swwinger and use one from a dirtbike. Or buy an aftermarket swinger. most use a banshee chian guide

mysticfalcon
05-14-2003, 08:00 AM
yeah it took a big chunk of case with it. I have a swinger with achain guide mount i just didnt have a chain guide on it. I had a new RK x-ring chain + renthal sprockets all were in new shape. the rear sprocket is mangled fron the chain coming off and the chain is twisted some so it wont go back on but it didnt break.

05-14-2003, 08:59 AM
No case saver I'm guessin?????? :( :(

honda350r
05-14-2003, 09:41 AM
I'll bet your swingarm bearings are in the same shape the rest of the quad is in! 250rs are old and they do wear everything out twice before most people do anything about it !
Jim

05-14-2003, 09:57 AM
that is gonna be some $

mysticfalcon
05-14-2003, 08:37 PM
yup it HAD a case saver. it broke at the narow spot and came off. 350R what do you mean the bearings are like the rest of the bike? the carier is brand new just like everything else on the quad. It has about 10 hours on it since I replaced everything that was remotely questionable on it. what you cant see from the pic is that the rest of the quad is in perfect shape.

redrizza
05-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Bummer man, hope you get it fixed soon!

TURBO-530R
05-15-2003, 10:49 AM
check your carrier bearings and swingarb bearings.does your axel move front to back?
How tight was the chain? it should nit be that tight1 1/2" play cheak it out if your chain was to tight and you jumped it it could break. hmmm

Ryan
05-15-2003, 01:58 PM
I've seen this happen to a few dirtbikes and atvs. Since the chain was new, it probably stretch far enough to move off the sprocket and then do the damage. Your chain tensioner bolts could have possibly gone loose, also. This happened to my friends quad and it ended up the same way yours did :( .

When you find out the true problem, let us know.

05-15-2003, 03:21 PM
more info here is a must ...what were you doing when it happened ?
was the chain too tight ?
were the swingarm bearings ok?
& were the axle bearing adjusted prpoperly?

mysticfalcon
05-15-2003, 09:05 PM
well like I said the bearings were tight. there almost new. the chain wasnt to tight it had just been adjusted about 15min before it came off so it must have been awful close to just right. the chain tensioner bolts were still tight so it wasnt that. any other ideas? i'd really like to figure it out before the new motor makes it in there. I've looked over everything and it all seems fine. The best Idea i've heard is that a rock got between the chain and sprocket throwing it off the rear sprocket but thats kinda farfetched.

05-15-2003, 10:58 PM
well the rock idea maybe the winner ..
unless someone else can figure it out ..
I once threw the chain on the 310 , but that was because of a bad masterlink ...thank my lucky stars for the case saver ,it worked

hook
05-16-2003, 02:26 PM
whats up with frount sprocket looks like flat washer an abolt in the middle of shaft is it centered

KY Woods Rider
05-16-2003, 02:45 PM
The only other thing that I can think of that might have caused it to throw a chain is if the sprockets were out of alignment due to a bent frame, swingarm, etc. When you put the new chain and sprockets on, did you check to make sure the sprockets were perfectly in line and the chain was running straight? If the sprockets aren't totally destroyed, you may be able to look at them and see if the chain was rubbing one side of the sprocket a lot more than it was the other. While it's not the most common problem, you can have something bent and causing misalignment between sprockets, which will make it throw a chain as soon as it gets enough slack (usually going into a corner when the clutch is pulled in and there's very little tension on the chain).

mysticfalcon
05-27-2003, 07:23 AM
Problem solved :devil:
this sure was easier than fixing the old one :)