PDA

View Full Version : Long travel susp. with stock arms?

Bunkerking217
05-13-2003, 03:37 PM
I hear you can have long travel with your stock arms, then other people tell me you have to have extended arms...

Whats the deal with that? Doesn't long travel just give you more travel?

thanks

weatherford
05-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Normally the stock shocks are in the 16 inch range and the Long Travel Shocks are in the 19 inch range. Yes you will have to get Long Travel A-arms to run the Long Travel Shocks.

On most aftermarket Long travel Shocks, you will get increased wheel travel and it lowers the center of gravity for the Quad. I just ordered some Long Travel A-arms and since it is lowering the Quad, I might go to a slightly larger tire size to keep the Quad from bottoming during jumps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chad

Texan32
05-13-2003, 04:38 PM
There is some truth to what you have heard. Some new machines come with long travel suspention (predator). On most machines though, in order to have long travel, you have to get "long travel" a-arms and 19 inch shocks. To get TRUE long travel you need to go with Pro-Trax T-pin style set up.

Texan32
05-13-2003, 05:05 PM
I think you have the wrong idea about the travel of long travel shocks. Long travel shocks offer extended DOWN travel. That means that that the shock can travel OUT more...get longer. It is still only going to compress as much as a regular shock. Look at pro racers. look how low their quads sit to the ground. but they don't have a bottoming problem because of how the shocks work. By having more down (extend) travel, it keeps the tires planted as you take corners and hit low spots

...does that make sence?

weatherford
05-13-2003, 05:38 PM
The Long Travel Shocks will lower the Quad's center of gravity, making it sit lower to the ground. What I meant is I thought about going to a taller tire size, because of the lowered Quad and riding rocky trails. Ground Clearence.

Bunkerking217
05-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Stock Arms + Long travel = More ground clearance and more travel

Long Arms + Long Travel = Same height as stock, but wider, and more travel

Plus, couldnt you set the suspension up, to where you can make it "give" some and still have the same height ?

Ive seen some quads with std. travel and they seem lower....?

weatherford
05-14-2003, 02:47 AM
I'm not sure if a 19" shock would even fit on a standard A-arm. If this did work for you, when you change the set-up , the shocks would have to be re-valved.

forum
05-14-2003, 05:17 AM
A 19 inch shock wont even come close to fitting on a standard a arm. you need a LT a arm. I would Recomend the JRD's. THe housers don't have as much travel. The jrd lobo style arm will give you more up and down travel when compared to standard arms. But mostly more down travel. DOwn travel is always a good thing. If you have any technical questions call Yahn At ELka suspenison 450 655 4855. Just tell him you need to ask a few questions.

bmw500hp
05-14-2003, 03:44 PM
I have the JRD XC arms which are a 1" extended a-arm. Like forum says the JRD's share the same gullwing style as "Roll". Much more reasonable in price and actually built heavier.

My quad has 16" shocks and sits much lower in the front. Love it!...much more stable. Looks cool to for what thats worth. :devil

crap-banshee32
05-14-2003, 03:58 PM
if your going to get LT shocks, get LT arms 2!! I DID!! LT hermann +3 w/ PEP zps LT shocks!!

Bunkerking217
05-14-2003, 04:46 PM
i race XC and if i would have been 1 inch wider, i would have tore my bike up bad or had it submerged. i just want more travel.

bmw500hp - u say you have 16" which is the same size as stock, with +1 arms, so if that makes it sit lower, wouldnt 19" make it sit higher?

400EXrider#91
05-16-2003, 02:12 AM
but there is no way to get LT shocks if you don't get LT a-arms

bmw500hp
05-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bunkerking217
i race XC and if i would have been 1 inch wider, i would have tore my bike up bad or had it submerged. i just want more travel.

bmw500hp - u say you have 16" which is the same size as stock, with +1 arms, so if that makes it sit lower, wouldnt 19" make it sit higher?

Bunker...If you could sqeeze it on, "in theory" perhaps the 19" would ride higher. However, the 1" arms are not designed to accomodate the travel of the 19" shock. Should you force this issue, I would imagine serious binding issues would occur.

To use the 19" shock you would have to use arms geometrically designed for accept the 19" shock.

Certainly if you would re-think your conclusions and ride a good 1" arm/shock combo with some 4:1 rims you would discover strenghts that far out-weigh the weakness.