PDA

View Full Version : My good ole' BMX bike...

sly400ex
05-13-2003, 09:23 AM
I took my old Robinson Pro out for a ride last night, it was a blast! I abought 12 yrs ago when I was 14. I had to sell a lot of candy door to door to buy it. It has Redline Flights 3pc. Cranks, beartrap pedals, BOA breaks, beartrap headset, Crupi hubs w/ Araya rims, GT seat and post. The thing was bad arse back in the day, it still is to me! :D :cool:

Anyone else remember their old bikes? PK Ripper's, Auburns? Hutch?

Those were the days!!!!

XANDADA
05-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Wow, that's a blast from the past! I had a Robinson at one time as well. Custom made for my height/weight. Most people never even heard of that name. I don't even now if they still make them. Also had a GT & several Redline's but the Robins was my fav. Used to race at a place called Akron Derby Downs in OH about 15 years ago. Gettin old, now I need things with motors in them:devil

Atreyu
05-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Ive got a robinson in my garage..there so easy to bronco stuff. I got 4 milkcrates yesterday.

cudaman
05-13-2003, 09:43 AM
yeah they still have robinsons. i have a mongoose expert. stock. except new back brake

Crazy4bluEx
05-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Auburn bikes with the bolt on subframe? yah i had 1.... i have had so many nice bikes.. Hoffman Taj , Dk Cinncinati, Robinson Rebel.... just to name a few....

*K*

sly400ex
05-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
Wow, that's a blast from the past! I had a Robinson at one time as well. Custom made for my height/weight. Most people never even heard of that name. I don't even now if they still make them. Also had a GT & several Redline's but the Robins was my fav. Used to race at a place called Akron Derby Downs in OH about 15 years ago. Gettin old, now I need things with motors in them:devil

Hahaha, that's the way I feel too. Things with motors and electric start!!!

PhilMoore
05-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Sweet!

I wanted a Robinson so bad back in the day.

I have a '85 Redline RL 20II with Flight Cranks. I also have a '88 Dyno Pro Compe team model with GT aluminum 3pc cranks. I busted a Flight Crank spindle a few years ago, and let it sit. Last fall, I finally got around to finding a replacement spindle on Ebay (paid too much for it). I got the RL20II back together, but I am too scared to ride it for fear of breaking it again.

I got a new Redline Slant with Flight Cranks on it last November. I don't think I will break it, but it weighs about 7 pounds more than the old bikes! I hopped on the new bike and threw a tailwhip (flatland, NO AIR) on the third try, after 4 or 5 years of being off a bicycle! One thing about the new bikes that is freaky is the narrow bars. My wrists get sore pretty quick with them, but it is probably just old age!:)

ktMan
05-15-2003, 02:18 PM
i love bmx, i have a Nirve panic 1 20 right now and i love it except its a tank, ive never heard of robinsons but they sound great!!!!!!

Stevie-D
05-15-2003, 02:22 PM
lol..i spent a half hour polishin mine. its a chrome framed Haro Shredder. very nice bike. need some new tires tho:rolleyes: i;ve got some K-mart specials on it now:p

Honda4trax250x
05-16-2003, 04:10 PM
my last bike was a nice old sool bike that was my uncles it was a skyway............ya probably no one has ever heard of it but it used to dominate the track back in the day

my brother got a PK ripper from my other uncle also an awesome bike

however i needed to upgrade last year so i went out and got a new GT power series<---------------Great Bike

tants
05-17-2003, 03:17 AM
im selling my GT bump if anyone who bikes is interested... their great strong dirt jumping bikes... PM me

05-21-2003, 03:10 PM
i have a dyno procup series with GT custom parts and they dont make this model of the GT dyno anymore and this thing will FLY! it is a rare bike and i wont let my uncle ride it because he wrecked his bike and left it on the side of the road and im not gonna let him do that to this bike cause he doesnt have the money to buy me another dyno pro cup series. i'll try to post a pic of it some time. i have GT costume power series 3 piece cranks, knucklebone grips,lightweight rims, AA pro compound dirt racing tires, GT costume pedals, and a lot of other good stuff.

05-21-2003, 03:54 PM
RAPTOR660..!!!!!!!!!! YOU STOLE MY FLIPPING OFF SIGN IN YOUR SIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! I KNEW SOMEONE WOULD STEAL IT!

Bill Fuller
05-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Way back in the day I lived in Hawaii freestyle was the thing I rode before school after school heck I skipped school to ride.I started on an all pink(I know it sounds gay but it was the baddest bike around)I mowed enough yards in 13 days to upgrade to a ball peend? Hutch Trick star with all the goodies.It almost(well it does)bring back some old memories.That Hutch was the finest thing on the planet cost me $1500 back then(85).Man I must have lost trac of time just sitting here thinking about it.(sniff sniff)

ny300exrider
05-21-2003, 11:59 PM
:)

465Stroker
05-22-2003, 12:41 AM
I ran BMX myself for a few years back in the day...
Had:
Cruiser: Mongoose, then Titan (Awesome)
20": Mongoose, Redline, then Mongoose again.
Yep - Back in the days of 48 spoke wheels, Tuff Wheels, Bear Trap pedals, Gyro, etc.
Do they even make any of this stuff yet?

Merriman
05-22-2003, 05:21 AM
I used to race BMX when I was 10-15yrs old. (1990-1995) I was pretty much the only kid in Socal racing pro with the Kastan uni-blade (single fork, or strut) The bike was wicked....hard to turn but the looks made up for it. I went to the nationals a few times only to get spanked by the guys from back east......they took racing BMX so seriously...lol.

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/8tobe/kastanblade.jpg

remlapr
05-22-2003, 05:38 AM
oh DAMN - I can't believe you said something about a Robinson. Mine is sitting down in my moms basement as we speak! I used to be seriously into BMX, I used to race several national every year back in about 86-87, always novice though - but it still some tough comp! One of my best buddies was national number 8 in 17 expert in I think 87. If you were big into BMX racing back them you know that was a pretty big deal. He had full sponorship with MCS? I think it was? The biggest BMX race in the country was at our local track every year, Tom Sawyer in Louisville KY, it was the NBL (I think?) Grand National. Man I could go on and on. I also has a Mongoose(first bike) Hutch, Haro, Pro - something? They only made frames, it was unique because it had a extra support bar in the front of the frame and their logo had Orange in it? Anybody remember that bike? How about Free Agent's? Are they still around? That was what probably 80% my buddies rode. I don't think BMX racing today is 1/10th the size it used to be back in the 80's

p@iNn3ck
05-22-2003, 06:21 AM
I only ride freestlye.... heres a pic when I won best lookin bike.

joeroadking
05-22-2003, 01:06 PM
boy does this bring me back I used to race and do freestyle in the earley 80s I had a se racing pk ripper, se quad angler race inc,mongoose, redline,skyway, freestylebikes , hutch trickstar and gt, used to run redline flight cranks ,bullseye hubs, now thouse are some old bmx bikes my buddy rode robisons man we had some fun I have a pic here some where of me jumping of the top of the bleachers at my school! :cool:

remlapr
05-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Bullseye hubs were the shnit! Hands down the best out there. Same with flight cranks, there was just nothing even close. I could go to a race and every person on the gate would be running flight cranks. Hey do you guys remember the bars that had a slight bend in the grip area? I can't remember the name of them, but they again were the best there was. Everyone ran them. I have wondered if a slight bend in the grip area like that would work on an ATV??

joeroadking
05-22-2003, 02:17 PM
dk stems, mcs stems, oakley grips , comp 3 tires , landing gear forks I to could go on and on raced nbl I think too! in MA

remlapr
05-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I can't remember the name of them, but they again were the best there was. Everyone ran them. I have wondered if a slight bend in the grip area like that would work on an ATV??

Powerlites!! I even found a review on them LOL.

http://www.bmxultra.com/reviews/powerlitebars.htm

Anybody know someone at Tag?? I seriously thing the concept could work on a quad! Like the guys says, the bend isn't enough to cause problems with your levers, just enough to make the grips feel just right in your hands.

PhilMoore
05-23-2003, 03:19 AM
Yeah! Powerlites!

My brother has a set on his Redline.

Sick0
05-23-2003, 08:14 AM
2001 Standard bykes sta 500r. all the goodies.

I don't know if they still make robinson. Gt when bankrupt, who made robinson, alburn, powerlite, dyno. I pretty much owned every decent bike made. I was real big into.

O yeh the bares with bends in them. They came on my powerlite p61 I had one pair of them i hated them It was too weird to hang on too. I think still have them down stairs.

Fre angent still makes bikes and i doing pretty good.

Sick0
05-23-2003, 08:16 AM
:rolleyes:

Sick0
05-23-2003, 08:19 AM
:eek2:

ny300exrider
05-23-2003, 08:33 AM
if anyone is interested i got a standard sta 500 FRAME for sale. 3/8 dropouts 21in metalic blue used for about a year but was too long for me,im 13 it was not ridden to hard.300 dollar frame ill take anything aroun 80-100 i might be selling it to some kid but if your interested pm me.

remlapr
05-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I also has a Mongoose(first bike) Hutch, Haro, Pro - something? They only made frames, it was unique because it had a extra support bar in the front of the frame and their logo had Orange in it? Anybody remember that bike?

It came to me! Profile was the name of it. Pretty cool frame, but not very well known. Come on, there has to be other old school BMXer's out there??

250x#93
05-24-2003, 02:47 PM
HAHA I'm surprise how many people are into these bikes, I had somethin when I was younger that I bought at a garage sale:o I jumped it all the time:devil: Well sort of, at least I thought I was jumpin

Sick0
05-26-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
if anyone is interested i got a standard sta 500 FRAME for sale. 3/8 dropouts 21in metalic blue used for about a year but was too long for me,im 13 it was not ridden to hard.300 dollar frame ill take anything aroun 80-100 i might be selling it to some kid but if your interested pm me.

thats a pretty good dell on the deal on the frame. I would buy it if was still real big into bmx.