PDA

View Full Version : Is Hotcam's worth the $?

slosh13
05-13-2003, 06:30 AM
I am wanting to make my tired old 400 a screamin 416 or 440 and I've been looking into buying a Hotcam stage 2 cam, but lately I've been reading on here that ppl have been having trouble with them and its got me second guessing them...what should i do... thanks.:D

SPONSORS for 03'
JP CYCLE
HETRICK RACING
MY BAD RACING
SCOTT'S AMSOIL
B-TOWN BOYZ RACING
S.H.I. RACING
along with help from: WRP POWERSPORTS, SALEM OIL, and LINE-X

UglyMotha™
05-13-2003, 06:41 AM
your chances of getting a bad cam is about 1 in a 100 at the least hotcams has taken care of the problem none the less got a 100+ hours on mine and is still tighter than a mofo, there more good hotcams out there then bad hotcams it just sounds bad cause the only time you hear about them it is bad so it seems as if the bad out weight the good but that's not the case

slosh13
05-13-2003, 06:43 AM
should i still stick with the plan of buying a HOTCAM or should i go with another brand such as an HRC? which is better you think for motocross racing?

4TraxRider
05-13-2003, 06:52 AM
I was one of the lucky few to get a bad cam from hotcams, now i have a webcam all around cam, and I've been more than happy.

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 07:15 AM
there cheap, work great and have awesome customer satisfaction

better stay away

Doibugu2
05-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

better stay away

and no quality control!:eek2:

Castor-426ex
05-13-2003, 07:20 AM
hey they have QC it just let some bad ones get by...

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 07:27 AM
thats why lonstar makes thier swingarms differant now becasue there were so good to begin with

thats why chevy has recalls

at least there FIXING the problem and ADMITTING there error

Doibugu2
05-13-2003, 07:32 AM
We all pay double or tripple the cost of most items when compared to other markets. So why support a company that does not have very good quality control. They claim they had 1 bad batch but no company is ever going to tell you the whole truth.

Does anyone know how long these guys have been in business?

Bill Fuller
05-13-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

better stay away unless your looking for a new penpal.Man I'm tired of reading all this stuff about them,I don't care what they did to fix the problem it has gone on for way to long if thats the best they can do then maybe they ought to get in the scrap metal business.Buy from a reputable dealer HotCams lost all of my confidence alog time ago.

UglyMotha™
05-13-2003, 07:35 AM
actually hotcams has quite the history in the industry i don't know it though but i think they've been around for a while but not as hotcams

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 07:35 AM
they also make pivot works

the bad cams arent really bad. they just make noise( i never even noticed)

i loctited my SUPPOSED bad cam and i have had no probs since

that was about 50 hours ago

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 07:39 AM
how many posts have you seen on it?

maybe 15-20. one batch is prob a hundred or so. THEY(hotcam) fixed the problem but INDEPENDENT dealers had the bad ones

INDEPENDENT dealers were still selling the bad ones after the fact

like i said. look at IMS and wiseco with the 440 kits how many YEARS did the low compression kits sell for

I still dont think they have fixed the prob or admitted it

These people fixed the problem as soon as they found oput was going on and replaced them free of charge with pick and delivery free if charge.

Doibugu2
05-13-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
unless your looking for a new penpal.Man I'm tired of reading all this stuff about them,I don't care what they did to fix the problem it has gone on for way to long if thats the best they can do then maybe they ought to get in the scrap metal business.Buy from a reputable dealer HotCams lost all of my confidence alog time ago.

amen.

I like to ride my quad when I get home, not take it apart to check on a part in my engine that I have to loctite together.

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 07:43 AM
i never chcek it

i beat the piss out of it every weekend

hotcams was gonna give me a new after the big hub bub on here and I said is the one here gonna cause damage

he said no, i said dont worry about it, later

i threw some loctite on thier cause i had the head off for porting

lilpoppy
05-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey Doibugu2 are you like 5 years old or what? Why are you going around trash talking Hotcams and several different threads when you odviously have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. The problem is fixed now drop it. If you don't want to buy one, fine but it is your loss. I can't stand it when people start ranting on and on about something they know nothing about which causes other people who are reading to be discouraged from buying a good product. You are being extremely ignorant.

Dune Surfer
05-17-2003, 05:53 AM
I had a bad one, they replaced it no problem. Their customer service is the best and they solved the problem by making the cam with the flange. They got me this replacement in three days. I still think it is the best cam for the $$$

05-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I had a bad one, they replaced it no problem. Their customer service is the best and they solved the problem by making the cam with the flange. They got me this replacement in three days. I still think it is the best cam for the $$$

Have to agree with the fact its a great value. They have had their problems and seem to have addressed them very well.

I cant blame anyone who has a negative opinion and thats as fine with me as those with positive ones. None of this opinion thing effects the price or performance of the product though.

Though I am still not happy about the large amount of chinese mfg bearings in the pivot works line I do have to say that Hot Cams (and Tony Tice especially) have done right by me and the product works as advertised and performs excelent.

It still is the best value I am aware of and will give good power gains to stk or modded engines.

I may be needing a more aggressive grind and will try another brand and grind of cam in the future(this engine is seriously wanting more lift than the stage2) but I have zero regrets on the hot cam and it performs well even in my modded 440.

Doibugu2
05-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
Hey Doibugu2 are you like 5 years old or what? Why are you going around trash talking Hotcams and several different threads when you odviously have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. The problem is fixed now drop it. If you don't want to buy one, fine but it is your loss. I can't stand it when people start ranting on and on about something they know nothing about which causes other people who are reading to be discouraged from buying a good product. You are being extremely ignorant.

It's a shame I didn't see this sooner. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to voice my opinion. How is it that I don't know what I am talking about? Hotcams did not have the quality control to catch an entire batch of bad cams? What's so complicated about that.

This is the point that I keep trying to get accross. If we continue to support this or any company that produces products that are not up to a certain level of quality then we all lose. Because other companies will be able to start reducing the quality of their work, because the companies know we will still buy the products.

Don't you think its kind of odd that YZROOSTINYA has made 3 posts about 3 seperate products that could not stand up to the quality that we need? Let me list the products, burgard steering stem, not sure of the name heel guards, and the hotcams. Sure, he got satisfaction from them, but I believe we shouldn't have to return products because someone let a bad batch go out the door. He was partially able to use the power and size of this site to get satisfaction. What about the 15 year old kid who does not know how to work the system. Should it be okay for this kid to get screwed because a company does not test its products?

Why is it that we haven't heard about any other cam maker having problems? Sure hotcams maybe cheaper, but is that why we should let them produce shotty products.

This will be the last time I post in a hotcams thread.

lilpoppy
05-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Thank god!

05-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
It's a shame I didn't see this sooner. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to voice my opinion. How is it that I don't know what I am talking about? Hotcams did not have the quality control to catch an entire batch of bad cams? What's so complicated about that.

This is the point that I keep trying to get accross. If we continue to support this or any company that produces products that are not up to a certain level of quality then we all lose. Because other companies will be able to start reducing the quality of their work, because the companies know we will still buy the products.

Don't you think its kind of odd that YZROOSTINYA has made 3 posts about 3 seperate products that could not stand up to the quality that we need? Let me list the products, burgard steering stem, not sure of the name heel guards, and the hotcams. Sure, he got satisfaction from them, but I believe we shouldn't have to return products because someone let a bad batch go out the door. He was partially able to use the power and size of this site to get satisfaction. What about the 15 year old kid who does not know how to work the system. Should it be okay for this kid to get screwed because a company does not test its products?

Why is it that we haven't heard about any other cam maker having problems? Sure hotcams maybe cheaper, but is that why we should let them produce shotty products.

This will be the last time I post in a hotcams thread.

Well said.

I know that many companies in this industry try to use the buying public as their r&d or quality controll, just look at the first year raptor v/s how cannondale handled the problems. I do agree with you but also have to yell foul to how yamaha handled their errors and give a cheer to hot cam and c-dale's approach.

BTW can you really stay out of these threads :rolleyes: :devil

lilpoppy
05-18-2003, 04:41 PM
If all you are trying to say is that these companys need to be more carefull then that is fine but you are going about it the wrong way. It just sucks when someone that needs some info comes in here and reads about how these hotcams suck and are detered away from buying one because you are giving out false info. There was a problem and now it is fixed. We are all human including the guys at hotcam and ya it does suck for all the guys that had the flange pop off. But the fact still remains that for the money this is probably one of the top 3 cams for the 400ex and by steering people away from them just because you don't like hotcams as a company it just kinda sucks. I don't want to argue about this anymore eather and you are more than welcome to your oppinion, but we can leave it at the fact that they are good cams for someone that doens't want to dump a ton of money into their 400ex and that problem has been fixed for quite some time now.

JOEX
05-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Well said.

I know that many companies in this industry try to use the buying public as their r&d or quality controll, just look at the first year raptor v/s how cannondale handled the problems. I do agree with you but also have to yell foul to how yamaha handled their errors and give a cheer to hot cam and c-dale's approach.

BTW can you really stay out of these threads :rolleyes: :devil

Originally posted by lilpoppy
If all you are trying to say is that these companys need to be more carefull then that is fine but you are going about it the wrong way. It just sucks when someone that needs some info comes in here and reads about how these hotcams suck and are detered away from buying one because you are giving out false info. There was a problem and now it is fixed. We are all human including the guys at hotcam and ya it does suck for all the guys that had the flange pop off. But the fact still remains that for the money this is probably one of the top 3 cams for the 400ex and by steering people away from them just because you don't like hotcams as a company it just kinda sucks. I don't want to argue about this anymore eather and you are more than welcome to your oppinion, but we can leave it at the fact that they are good cams for someone that doens't want to dump a ton of money into their 400ex and that problem has been fixed for quite some time now.

Doibugu2,
I think of you as one of the more respectable members here, but I agree with these posts. Granted you had a bad expience with Hotcams along with several others, but my understanding is that Hotcams admitted to the defective product and corrected it. Then made good on customer service and replacement of said product.
I'm sure many manufacturers has a defective product that gets released somewhere but what the company does to correct the problem is what makes them a winner.

Joe