PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What Do U guys think of the 18yr drivin law

Tom Lynn
05-13-2003, 06:08 AM
I sure as heck do not like that law if it passes bcause I'm 14 it'd suck

sly400ex
05-13-2003, 06:36 AM
The only reason I say 18 now, is because I'm 26 and it doesn't matter:p Seriously though, I know how I was at 16 and I'm lucky I'm still alive, well lucky no matter what age really. But recently, just in towns surrounding me, there have been way over 10 deaths to KIDS 17 and younger due to erratic driving, ALL preventable. It's sad, just the other day, a road that I am on all the time, 3 KIDS died because they were goofing around. It is really sad.....Here are some articles.....:(

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/city/j11crash.htm

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/top/j12grieve.htm

UglyMotha™
05-13-2003, 06:52 AM
boy that'll leave a void in you:(

Bill Fuller
05-13-2003, 07:02 AM
Two major crashes before I turned 18 made me vote pass I haven't even had a speeding ticket since I was 17.Sorry:ermm:

blondie69
05-13-2003, 07:22 AM
is this for like the states? hopefully....cuz i'll be gettin my liscence in 3 months...and i don't wanna be screwed over:eek2:

gun32boarder
05-13-2003, 08:20 AM
i dissagree but in nj you get a license at 17, but you cant have more than one friend in the car, but atleast you get it

RoadkillerRyan
05-13-2003, 08:31 AM
come on gotta have a car for most jobs you know

RoadkillerRyan
05-13-2003, 08:33 AM
but about 5months ago 3 seniors died from a car crash at me school, it was pretty sad

JUSTINcredible
05-13-2003, 08:44 AM
i say pass it cuz i already got my license :blah ... in Minnesota as soon as you get your license you have all the privleges that a 30 yr. old driver has

MOFO
05-13-2003, 08:47 AM
I agree 100% with the age increase. The reason I say this is because of todays "fast n furious" punk attitude when they drive...very dangerous. Nothing would make me happier than to pull one of these punks out of their rice burners and slap them around after they just passed me in bumper to bumper traffic at high speeds....all while they are in the typical ricer driving position...seat ALL the way back and leaning....

this is only my opinion... take it for what its worth. :mad:

Eric

250x#93
05-13-2003, 08:54 AM
I say don't pass it, A lot of teenagers are responsible, and yeah there are kids that wreck but when I look in the paper and see the police log most of the wrecks are 20-50 year olds:o So actually I think older drivers ought to retake their driving tests:ermm:

Nausty
05-13-2003, 08:59 AM
don't like it. IF they just let em' have it when they are 18 I think they are giving them to much freedom all at once. I don't think it really matters to me though because I already have my license and pry by the time it goes into effect i'll already be over 18.

05-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6
I agree 100% with the age increase. The reason I say this is because of todays "fast n furious" punk attitude when they drive...very dangerous. Nothing would make me happier than to pull one of these punks out of their rice burners and slap them around after they just passed me in bumper to bumper traffic at high speeds....all while they are in the typical ricer driving position...seat ALL the way back and leaning....

Eric

well I'd like to pull you outa yo truck and smack you around.....:blah ROFLMFAO

I do agree though...heck it's bad enough everybody has to have a friggen phone in their ear so now lets get some non experieced drivers on the road with a phone in their ear too....:rolleyes:

honda250xrider
05-13-2003, 09:20 AM
dont you still think when someone turns 18 they are still going to test there limits just as a 16 year old would?, i mean when your 18 and haven't driven you still want to test the limits just as a 16 year old does, but there are many responsible 16, 17, etc drivers out there, just some people like to drive as manics on the road, but personally wouldnt they still do it if they changed the law? thats just my 2 cents, so i say no, i may be the only one with this vision but o well just my thinking

Lasher
05-13-2003, 09:28 AM
I am 30 years old now and I say pass it.

I even used to say that when I was 16 and driving.

05-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Notice how all the people who voted YES are over 16 and already have their license? i wonder what theyre answer would be if it was this year they were gunna take drivers ed and they passed it up to 18...hmmmmmm.

gun32boarder
05-13-2003, 09:31 AM
ya but how would all of you guys that allready have their licensce and say pass it and just say you wernt 18 or 17 yet how would you like it

Ryan
05-13-2003, 09:40 AM
I do not have my permit or anything yet, but I do think the law should be 18. Many of the careless drivers out their are infact teenagers. Its sure gonna suck having to be drivin to work at 17 yrs old, though :ermm: . This new law is a good idea but in some ways it isn't. The new a**hole drivers that will be able to drive at 18 yrs old are still going to drive carelessly. Hell, my grandma drives like a physco and shes like 70 something :o .

Either way, I think they should pass it.

Lasher
05-13-2003, 09:42 AM
As I posted in my other post.

When I was 16 I used to say that I should not have my license.

Maybe all you younger kids would understand when you are older, if you live thru the "I know everything and cannot get hurt" phase.

I will tell you this. If my son tries to drive like I did, he will get his butt kicked, literally.

I have been hit before by younger drivers. Lucky for them that they were not punks about it and it was truely an accident. But if some punk kid pulls something stupid and hit me, the ambulance will be called for the punk before I get out of my car.

Yes, I am lucky to be alive from my younger years of driving. I read a book when I was 18 called "The Handbook For Speeding." Completely changed the way I drive. Not to mention told me how not to get a ticket.

gun32boarder
05-13-2003, 09:46 AM
ya but if they pass this they are screwing the majority of kid that drive good and the little amount that do drive bad you can say they all drive bad thats a stero type and how realy do you like sterotypes on you

honda250xrider
05-13-2003, 09:49 AM
no one has really answered how this will help, you say you need to get it pushed back, alot of wrecks happen to teenagers, but also there are alot of wrecks with older adults to, how will making them get there drivin permit at 18 be benifical, i think they will still act just like a 16 year old would when he/she gets a car, so how does this change the way you drive, i think when someone turns 18 they feel as if they have the most freedom, they are on there own, not really under there parents wing anymore, and think they can do alot more things, i do not know though im just guessing and expressioning my thoughts so if anyone could correct me please do

BlazingYamahaYz
05-13-2003, 09:56 AM
i say dont pass it...even tho there are some accidents, not all teens are bad drivers...most of the people i know that are 16-18 are really good drivers...we all have our bad days...you have to have a car to get to work and just for everyday needs...i would kick some serious political @$$ if they pass it, because that would mean i wouldnt get my liscence til after i graduate from high school and start college:eek2: im 14 right now, a freshman, and i dont turn 15 til this august 25(im a late birthday):huh

lil400exman
05-13-2003, 10:12 AM
well i got in just at the right time then...............hopefully it will take them a year to pass..........................:rolleyes:

honda400exrider
05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
I definitely dont want them passing the law. Im 13 so It wouldnt fit in my schedule too well:devil

blondie69
05-13-2003, 11:15 AM
but as i said, i'm guessin this is for the states....but i'm gonna defend u guys. it better not go thru. because the few teens that do get into accidents give the rest of the teens a bad rep for being accident prone. i know quite a few ppls that are like in their early 20's and haven't even been in an accident. then i know a few ppls that are like under 18 and have been in a few. but the majority of them haven't been in an accident. but thats jus my .02
let em learn how to drive young and then they'll be better when their older compared to when they start driving at 18 and they lost 2 yrs of driving experience right off the bat. when there 18 they still can get in the same amt of accidents. its jus the driver

batgeek
05-13-2003, 11:23 AM
yes there are responsible teens that should be able to drive. but i still think the age limit should be raised.

you realistically can not use the "few bad apple" theory on this, nor many other laws.

what i would really like to see are "reflex ability" and "situational awareness" tests for old drivers. old drivers cause more accidents than first year teen drivers. they scare me more than the young'uns.

remlapr
05-13-2003, 11:52 AM
I think in Indiana the current law is you can get your license at 16 - but you can't have anyone else under 18 or maybe even 21 in the car with you until you are 18. This may be a little steep, I think the one passenger thing is a good idea. When I was 16-17 I drove like a maniac with 3-4 other people in the car all talking to me at the same time, but I still drove that way when I was 18-19 so I don't it would be that much help. How bout instead of an age limit, a GPS\Cellular enforced constant speed limit of say 70mph. You go over 70 and your parents will be waiting for you at home with the ticket that they got IM'd on their cell phone while you were out - hopefully by the time I have kids that age they will have something like this in place....

Freeride
05-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Yeah its 16 here in alaska. As long as you have insurance your good to go. July 28th and ill be ready to drive. The only problem around here is drunk driving.

RuffRyder400ex
05-13-2003, 12:03 PM
i dont think they should pass it. but if they do than you will just have more time to ride:D

250rampage
05-13-2003, 12:07 PM
This law is a joke. Dangerous driving is all about lack of experience and/or mental capacities. How is somebody who has been alive 2 years longer, but has driven very little time going to be any better of a driver then another person with the same driving experience who is 2 years younger? Same goes with people who drive in a wreckless fashion....

honda250xrider
05-13-2003, 01:39 PM
i am still waiting for the answer, how will this help????, dont u think they are still going to try driving like a manic when they turn 18 to?, just two more years to like about driving and what they will be doing

Bill Fuller
05-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
i am still waiting for the answer, how will this help????, dont u think they are still going to try driving like a manic when they turn 18 to?, just two more years to like about driving and what they will be doing Atleast when your 18 and you kill someone by driving reckless you are the one responsible not your parents.

honda250xrider
05-13-2003, 02:13 PM
that is your only reason, because it will not be your parents fault, ok i have never seen a court case in which a 16-17 year old was in a wreck and they pinned it on the parents unless intoxicated, so your saying they should hold it so they do not blame the accident on your parents, i havn't seen any accidents being held agaisnt the parents, but still i may be wrong and someone please correct me just stating my opion to you guys

marksuttonjr
05-13-2003, 02:56 PM

Eric

I couldn't have said it better myself. That being said I remember being one of those punks in a 12 second car and I loved every min. of it while it was happening.

Leo
05-13-2003, 11:58 PM
You can't punish all the kids because of some punks..

It'd be the same as banning booze, really cut down on drunk drivers wouldn't it?..

Most of the 16-17 year olds that I know are a lot more responsible than I was when I was that age.. <grin> I'd guess that none of my beaters even qualified to be 24 second cars <sigh>

Of course if my kid develops a fast-n-furious attitude on the road the only car they will get to drive will be one of the lower end models put out by Nike.

Leo

breadman400ex
05-14-2003, 12:19 AM

Eric

wb300ex
05-14-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Tom Lynn
I sure as heck do not like that law if it passes bcause I'm 14 it'd suck

same here i hope they don't

SeaN

Lasher
05-14-2003, 03:09 AM
To all you drivers under the age of 16...

How are you paying for your car insurance? I used to program car insurance on the net, and I know the increase due to age.

One arguement I hear, is that I need a car for a job. Do you have a job because you need to pay for the insurance and other car related expenses? Take away the car and you take away the expenses.

Another arguement is that not all young drivers are bad. That is true and I will be the first to admitt it. But as a parent myself, even if this is not a law, I may not let my son drive FREELY until he is older.

And comparing young drivers to old drivers. Yes, there are plently of elderly people that should not be on the road as well. But do you notice that they tend to drive slower than normal, while young drivers tend to drive faster than normal?

Alot of young people (as I was) think they are smart enough to be responsible not only with a car, but with others on the road or even passengers.

When I was 17 years old, I was supposed to meet another group of friends downtown for "block party" type thing in the city. They never showed up. Then I heard they were in an accident. As I rushed to the hospital I saw my friends being unloaded from the ambulance. As I waited to hear news of their condition, guess who had to call the parents of these friends to tell them the news.

Yes, that was me..."Mrs Lee, I am Mike a friend of Matt. He was in an accident and is in the hospital."

That is something that no teenager should have to do.

Overall, I think kids these days are too quick to grow up. Get a job, drive a car etc. Enjoy being young and not having all the "older" responsibilities. There is enough time in your life for all of that.

Here is what I propose...

No license until the age of 18. A permitt can be granted at the age of 16 with the condition that a parent be present in the car while the 16-18 year old is behind the wheel. This will give the young driver 2 years of practice. Maybe even a step type program. Such as, 16-17 only with a parent in the car. From 17-18 only during daylight hours and with a maxium of two people in the car. Night time driving is only with a parent in the car.

Make a defensive driving course mandatory. Not just to learn how to drive, but how to drive to avoid accidents from the other guy.

Make a re-test mandatory for all ages. This would also include changing the way tests are given. I personally drove around the block for 5 minutes and passed. While my sister had to drive for 1/2 hour at the same testing place. This is not good. Too much of the test is at the tester's option. If an adult fails the test, then they are required to complete a follow up class and re-take the test.

SlapNutz
05-14-2003, 03:36 AM
hes drivin stuf NOw, isit good if hes doin it stille:macho

2k2-300exnj
05-14-2003, 06:28 AM
i think it is the stupidest rule out of anything i think it should be 16 for your licence that way u learn young
to get ur cdl u have to be 25 now which is even dumber by the time ur 25 u think u kno everything about it because u drove before maybe towed a trailer or two so what u are gonna kill people learning at that age when u are in need of money...
they pass just about anybody now a days maybe they should be a little better at picking who drives good because there are 18yo kids that cant drive for crap i have driven since i was 7 my dad was a trucker so i was always around cars and i grew up working on them i am 14 now and can drive better than most of the seniors in my school.... not being sarcastic or trying to brag but a lot of them suck... do to lack of being taught and trying to learn themselves... sry just letting off some steam, 17 should be the highest they go... isnt it like 15 in georga?