PDA

View Full Version : atv laws

$$$moneyex
05-13-2003, 03:09 AM
let me know the current atv situation in your area.(riding areas, laws against or for atvs)im doing a progect for school about atv laws and it would help me alot.
thanks
brian

MIKE400EX
05-13-2003, 05:26 AM
Connecticut:
There are NO legal riding areas (tracks/ ORV parks/anything) other than your own property or someone who will give you a signed & notarized permission slip.
They must be registered, ie... you must also pay personal property tax on them. If it is registered you can cross an undivided road at 90 deg. (Of course that only applies if you are wealthy enough to own property on both sides of the road - otherwise you are illegally riding anyway.)
You can only ride an un-registered ATV on your own property, not even a friend's or relative's.
So far liability insurance is not mandatory. (But then why would you need it if you can only ride in your own yard?)

Ham Sandwich
05-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Hey MIKE400EX

holt $hit those are some outlandish laws! Are you sure you are not living in Nazi Germany?

MIKE400EX
05-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Worse! They even use helicopters and airplanes to track ATV's and Dirtbikes and then send DEP officers & cops out on their ATV's, Ford Explorers, Excursions & Expeditions. A couple years ago they were outfitting in camo gear and were literally hiding and tackling people off their bikes. Also use dogs, and riders that pretend to have crashed as decoys. Hey, they're losing my money, I go out of state to ride.

4wheelboy
05-13-2003, 11:38 AM
hmmmmm lets see good old new jersey first ony one leagal riding area that is not a race track is WWW.njorvp.org we are not aloud in state forests. you would think with all the area of pine barens they would have a section for riding. there is one fellow who allows people to ride an wheel there trucks at but im not going to say the name. some people might get just a lil peed off.:devil

mudderchic
05-13-2003, 02:25 PM
I was gonna say that the areas that I ride at are like that until you said that they were hiding in the trees. That Sux :mad:

Brad
05-13-2003, 02:36 PM
here we can ride until we get told enough times not to to stop. or we piss of someone who calls the cops, and if we sneek into an are with guards on out mufflers to block sound we can stay there until someone hears us

wilkin250r
05-14-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm in Nevada, and we don't care much about anything. No registration required, ride any public land you want. My back yard is all BLM land, free reign.

If I ride on the street, I can get a ticket, just like a car that isn't registered, insured, no blinkers, ect. Some cops are jerks, others will give you a warning. Most are pretty cool, they won't do anything as long as you are being safe and not acting like an idiot.

HondaChris
05-19-2003, 04:15 PM
We pretty much have the basic rules to follow here in Michigan, required helmet & eye protection, noise regulations (94 db) on any state land/trails you ride on. It is llegal to cross or go into any river, stream, marsh, swamp, or quagmire.
In my town however, an ordinance was passed a couple months ago to allow atv's to ride on the far right hand portion of the street. It also helped with me being a trustee on the village council on getting this passed!! Its great to ride uptown and just wave at the police as you ride by! The idea to do this was actually our police officers. We set 10-15 mph as an approx. speed. We have times set, no riding between 10 pm and 7 am, headlights on after dusk, etc, but it has overall gone over GREAT with everyone. Nobody wants to lose this privilege, so everyone that rides is very careful.