PDA

View Full Version : Diesle or Gas 4x4 TRUCKS??

foxracingboy
05-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Hey yall i was just wanting to know what yall like best.
I have a 1995 dodge ram 2500 but its only 2WD:grr :grr

CHAUNCY
05-12-2003, 04:53 PM
I like diesle better but thats just me. I like gas too though:ermm:

cudaman
05-12-2003, 07:05 PM
gas! diesel is loud LOL :)

Bretmd94
05-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Diesel smells bad :macho

RuffRyder400ex
05-12-2003, 11:50 PM
i dont like the noise from deisel trucks

goochy
05-12-2003, 11:56 PM
:D

killed300ex
05-13-2003, 12:05 AM
i personaly love the sound of deisel the sound and smell is awsome but i just dont like the way they drive i prefere driving a gas. So id get a gas if i had the choice leave the deisels for extra haevy duty towing and for tractors
killed

p@iNn3ck
05-13-2003, 01:23 AM
Depends on what ya want it for.... muddin and playin - gas
work and haulin - deisel

ridered86
05-13-2003, 02:48 AM
diesel for everything, more power and tons more torque, plus the added gas mileage, and diesel motors last longer, how can u go wrong:confused:

Glow Plug
05-13-2003, 02:52 AM
deiesl all the way, you can't beat them with longjevity (sp?) way more power, sound awsome, better fuel milage, keep a higher resale value, etc etc :D

ridered86
05-13-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
deiesl all the way, you can't beat them with longjevity (sp?) way more power, sound awsome, better fuel milage, keep a higher resale value, etc etc :D

forgot the part about the resale, thanks for gettin that for me. im glad someone agrees, hel1 i just plain like the sound, and theres nothin better than a 5 inch exhaust comin outa the back of your truck either.

now we all know chevy uses the best diesel:blah

Duramax all the way, and we all know alison trannys are the best:D

MOFO
05-13-2003, 03:26 AM
If I had the extra cash laying around, I would be driving a 2003 GMC 2500 xtd cab with the Duramax/Allison combo. A buddy of mine has two for his business.... GREAT TRUCKS!

BTW, its spelled Diesel everyone.... :eek:

ridered86
05-13-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6
If I had the extra cash laying around, I would be driving a 2003 GMC 2500 xtd cab with the Duramax/Allison combo. A buddy of mine has two for his business.... GREAT TRUCKS!

BTW, its spelled Diesel everyone.... :eek:

those are the best, and i spelled diesel correctly:p my boss has a chevy 3500 dually with the duramax diesel, allison tranny and a brand new 5th wheel trailor, what a nice setup.

Natertot426ex
05-13-2003, 04:07 AM
Any of you guys watch the show TRUCKS on TNN? I saw them Hop up a Chevy Duramax that has 192 HP up to 450 or so horse power. They put nitrus and propane on the thing with a bunch of other things. The torque was outragous something like 650 or so. Now that is some power. I like diesel's for the power!

buckeye400ex
05-13-2003, 06:02 AM
Diesel trucks rule for towing or hauling.

Also, a Duramax comes stock with around 300 hp and they bumped it up to 450 some. My 02 PSD comes stock at 275hp and 520some ft lbs of torque.

Natertot426ex
05-13-2003, 06:04 AM
Oops I gues I got my numbers wrong:confused2

VegasEx'r
05-13-2003, 07:27 AM
I bought my first diesel about 17 months ago. I don't see myself ever going back to a gasser. All 3 makes (Dodge, Ford & GM) are pretty even in ability, and all three have serious potential to make TONS of HP & torque. Don't forget among the many benefits of a diesel is that fuel is cheaper, too, and for you tree-huggers out there, they are LEV's as well.

AFTERMARKET
05-13-2003, 08:25 AM
Love my F 350, 4x4 crewcab, long bed PSD!

05-13-2003, 08:27 AM
deizel, but they didn't put them in el caminos.

250x#93
05-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Diesel all the way, Powerstroke that is, Cummins and duramax sux:devil

01TRX300EX
05-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Diesel all the way, Duramax that is :D

ridered86
05-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 01TRX300EX
Diesel all the way, Duramax that is :D

Giz400ex
05-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Sorry people!!!, Cummins has been and always will be the Diesel to beat. Cummins is only a 6cyl, compared to the PSD or the Duramax which are 8's, Cummins proves to be still on top!! I like the new Ford's 6.0 and the Duramax but the Cummins is THE Diesel to have. I wish they weren't in the Dodge but what are ya gonna do???

buckeye400ex
05-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Giz, the new Cummings is supposed to be 84% quieter than the older ones. Does that mean it's really quiet? NOPE, just means the old ones would drown out a rock concert!! :D HA! j/k I like Cummings too, just read that about the new engine and I thought it was funny.

The Duramax diesels are definitely quieter than mine, only 19k miles so maybe mine will get quieter.

Vegas, I'm in the same boat this is my first diesel, I can't see going back to gas either.

blondie69
05-13-2003, 02:45 PM
It all depends on what your doin. If your gonna be haulin crap around...diesel. If its more for show or speed or something, gas

....good example...dad's truck is diesel & 4x4. he has a fuel tank full of marked diesel on back for out at the woods. my brother has a gas....he more shows off his truck....but it sounds almost like a diesel, jus cleaner. cuz he got a bunch of stuff done to it to make it sound like that

sportraxkid
05-13-2003, 05:15 PM
i heard that duramax's overheat alot.i like ford trucks but cummings i would say is the best.

Porkchop
05-13-2003, 06:03 PM
desiels are awesome.

my dad and i went out and tried a new 2003 f-250 supterduty PSD automatic with the new 6.0 desiel in it, WOW :eek2: its alot more quiter then the old 7.3 desiels and it shifts alot more smoother then the old ones also. my dad has a 95 f-350 desiel 6-pack and compared to the new 6.0 the old one is nothing! so my dad's ordering a new 2004 f-350 psd superduty lariet short box 4x4 with the new 6.0 deisel this fall and i get his old one.. :devil for being a 16 year old going into his junior year this truck will be badarse!!!! desiels are much more better on gas mileage also, much better then gas's, and much better for towing too.

Leo
05-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by 250x#93
Diesel all the way, Powerstroke that is, Cummins and duramax sux:devil

Yup, those junk Cummins motors..

Go jump in a new HD with a 6-spd and the HO motor, or better yet one with a Banks kit..

I believe it's called a lack-of-powerstroke.. (JOKE)

Now if they'd just do something with that hunk of crap automatic they hang behind 'em.. Buy a Cummins, but get it with a stick ;)

Leo

ridered86
05-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Sorry people!!!, Cummins has been and always will be the Diesel to beat. Cummins is only a 6cyl, compared to the PSD or the Duramax which are 8's, Cummins proves to be still on top!! I like the new Ford's 6.0 and the Duramax but the Cummins is THE Diesel to have. I wish they weren't in the Dodge but what are ya gonna do???

cummins was doin it right until they switched to that new 24 valve motor, the best ones were the cummins 6 cyl, 12 valve motors that were offered in the 00' and older model dodge rams, ive heard from ppl that have them to watch out and make sure you get the 12 valve motor if your gonna buy a dodge.

MOFO
05-14-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by sportraxkid
i heard that duramax's overheat alot.i like ford trucks but cummings i would say is the best.

Ummmm no. I've been around a few Duramax's from the day they were brought out. All of 'em are used hard hauling 5th wheels....never heard or seen one overheat. Sounds like some BS to me.

As for that Cummin's being junk comment...that is pure BS. Dont get me wrong, I love the Duramax, but I sure wish Cummin's could be put on a Chevy chassis with the Allison. That would be my dream truck.

Eric

goochy
05-14-2003, 05:13 AM
:D 7.3 PSD ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F 250

2k2-300exnj
05-14-2003, 05:19 AM
just because im a major mud fan im gonna go with gas even though i love diesel trucks bc there is no way i could make my dads dually f-350 put out as much power as my 460 ranger... lol but i would much rather have a diesel for the street unless i was lookin for hot rod capabilities

MOFO
05-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
just because im a major mud fan im gonna go with gas even though i love diesel trucks bc there is no way i could make my dads dually f-350 put out as much power as my 460 ranger... lol but i would much rather have a diesel for the street unless i was lookin for hot rod capabilities

I bet you could make his engine put out WAY more torque than yours for less than a $1000. :devil

400EXrider#91
05-14-2003, 08:39 AM
on our farm there are all types...i would have to say that it is like this

1. duramax
2.cummins
3.powerjoke:eek:

MOFO
05-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 400EXrider#91
on our farm there are all types...i would have to say that it is like this

1. duramax
2.cummins
3.powerjoke:eek:

I can agree with #3 being what you call it. I do computer work for all of the Ford dealerships in PGH. Let me tell you, that Powerstroke was a money maker for Ford via the service dept. Looks like the 6.0 is even worse. :eek2:

bongwater200
05-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex

The Cummins Engine is and always will be a F-ing bark chipper and stump grinder motor! It was never intended to be used in a truck. Even the new ones are a LOUD, slow, stalling piece of ****. Hell, I'd rather DRIVE a bark chipper or stump grinder than a POS Dodge! At least you wouldn't have to replace the transmission in a chipper every 8-12k miles!

The PowerStrokes are good engines, but are an electrician's NIGHTMARE! Good power though, and decent drivability. Transmissions (auto) in the Fords MUST be kept cool, though, or you'll roach the **** out of them.

Duromax/Allison........ if it weren't for a LITTLE extra noise, you'd never know you weren't driving a gas engine. Great drivability when they're unloaded, and an ***-load of power when they're loaded. The closer-ratio transmissions kick ***. That, and Allison is good at taking care of problems, should they occur.

GNCC#829
05-14-2003, 02:37 PM
The only thing that I would trade my Duramax/Allison for is a newer one, with an extended cab. I love it. My fuel milage kills my dad's Cummins. I average about 19 mpg empty(although I have gotten up to 25), and my dad's Cummins averages about 13 empty.

Leo
05-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by bongwater200
The Cummins Engine is and always will be a F-ing bark chipper and stump grinder motor! It was never intended to be used in a truck. Even the new ones are a LOUD, slow, stalling piece of ****. Hell, I'd rather DRIVE a bark chipper or stump grinder than a POS Dodge! At least you wouldn't have to replace the transmission in a chipper every 8-12k miles!

The new common rail motor is MUCH quieter than the previous versions. And your right, they weren't built for trucks, they were made for heavy equipment, etc.. RELIABILITY BABY!

SLOW? POS? M'kay.

If your buying a truck to USE, grab a six speed and never worry about it. The auto does indeed suck, none of the big 3 make a tranny that could stand up to the HO cummins. Don't get me started on the Allison.. Things with that tranny aren't all peach and roses like people seem to believe..

The Dodge trucks, especially the HD's have come a LONG way, the 03's are so far improved over the previous versions that I can't believe it. Amazing HEAVY DUTY brakes, front end beefed up 100%, improved steering and handling.

IFS belongs on minivans and fwd cars, it has no place on 1 ton trucks. (this will get a war started, lol).

Leo

MOFO
05-15-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Leo
Don't get me started on the Allison.. Things with that tranny aren't all peach and roses like people seem to believe..

Leo

I'd like to pick your brain on this issue. I have some first hand experience with the Duramax when used under high payload conditions (ie 5th wheel & moving heaving equipment) and both trucks have never had a tranny problem. I'm also a member of two GM forums and the same thing holds true...no major problems with the Allison at all. The only problems I have heard is programming issues with the computer part of the Allison...nothing mechanical or major...

Just wondering what you have seen, not starting a war... just curious...I'm sure there have been tranny's that have failed.... :cool:

foxracingboy
05-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Hey yall i just got back from test driving a 2002 Ford F-350 and damn that was a big *** truck.it was a manual so u can gusse how hard it is to push in the clutch they drive sooooo smooth