PDA

View Full Version : Auto Body paint on Frame??

OutlawEX
05-12-2003, 08:14 AM
Has anyone ever did this use car/autobody paint with hardener..If so how did it hold up and post some pics

quadrcr87
05-12-2003, 08:20 AM
i painted with ppg paint and my gas leaked and stripped the paint off

Mxbubs
05-12-2003, 08:24 AM
My bud owns a shop. We did a frame a while back. It DOES NOT hold up near as good as powdercoat.

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-12-2003, 08:29 AM
My old Blaster frame was painted with auto body paint, and they also used hardeners...it sucked. Powder is the way to go.

OutlawEX
05-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Im getting my frame Pc'ed this week...I was just curious on peoples exsperiences as a few of my buddies had their frames done with auto body paint and they help up pretty good..

ZRider400
05-12-2003, 08:39 AM
:o

Str8Wicked
05-12-2003, 09:21 AM
I painted my lock nut on my axel... One ride and it looked more like a zebra than a black painted lock nut..... lol

I wouldn't suggest it..

ZRider400
05-12-2003, 09:43 AM
deffinately get it pc'ed. :cool:

quadrcr87
05-12-2003, 10:52 AM
do you have pics of that z assembled?

05-12-2003, 11:41 AM
heres that z

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Here is a pic of nacsracer27's frame...ya he spray painted it....this shows how well it holds up :ermm:

ZRider400
05-12-2003, 11:49 AM
heres another pic of it.........

http://zrider400.4t.com/images/groovedtamers.jpg

05-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Here is a pic of nacsracer27's frame...ya he spray painted it....this shows how well it holds up :ermm:

yea..dont paint your quad...that was just from my powerwasher:ermm:

TRX300X
05-12-2003, 03:02 PM
I spraybombed my frame and it's held up great. I can take a power washer to it and the paint has never flaked off. Granted it scratches up easier then PC but I'm happy with it. I never mixed any hardner with it. All I did is after I applied a coat I let it sit in front of a torpedo heater for about an hour after each coat untill the paint got so hot it was kind of like a liquid and the metal was too hot to touch. I did 4 coats like this including a clear coat and it's held up great like I said. Oh yeah I also did 2 coats of primer too.

05-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Powder coating is going to hold up better than most all the auto type paints avail. If you are looking for the longer lasting product you have to consider the basic pc stuff. From what I hear some colors of PC hold up better than others so check that out also.

There are some auto paints that will hold up better than others but you may have a hard time conviencing the painter not to use the crap he uses everyday, but that base clear is not what you want.

If you insist on painting your frame look into single stage urethane paints like Imron and the less expensive imitations etc. and since they are used extensively on construction equip, boats, Trucks, industrial machinery and many other demanding applications you know it holds up well if applied correctly.

The primer is as important as the paint and is no place to skimp either. Look into 2 part stuff like urethane and epoxy primers that use a hardner etc for best results.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to consider a couple coats of urethane clear either for extra protection.

Here is a pic of nacsracer27's frame...ya he spray painted it....this shows how well it holds up

I dont know what paint was used or how it was prepped or applied but what I am seeing there isnt the fault of the paint but rather the painter. The paint obviously didnt have proper adheasion to the primer and that can due to several reasons and most often from waiting too long between prime and color application and not sanding etc.

If it doesnt hold up as well as the stock crap job something is wrong.

05-12-2003, 03:48 PM
nacsracer27 must not be to smart to spraypaint his frame...holy ****

05-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Powder coating is going to hold up better than most all the auto type paints avail. If you are looking for the longer lasting product you have to consider the basic pc stuff. From what I hear some colors of PC hold up better than others so check that out also.

There are some auto paints that will hold up better than others but you may have a hard time conviencing the painter not to use the crap he uses everyday, but that base clear is not what you want.

If you insist on painting your frame look into single stage urethane paints like Imron and the less expensive imitations etc. and since they are used extensively on construction equip, boats, Trucks, industrial machinery and many other demanding applications you know it holds up well if applied correctly.

The primer is as important as the paint and is no place to skimp either. Look into 2 part stuff like urethane and epoxy primers that use a hardner etc for best results.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to consider a couple coats of urethane clear either for extra protection.

I dont know what paint was used or how it was prepped or applied but what I am seeing there isnt the fault of the paint but rather the painter. The paint obviously didnt have proper adheasion to the primer and that can due to several reasons and most often from waiting too long between prime and color application and not sanding etc.

If it doesnt hold up as well as the stock crap job something is wrong.

i sanded the frame completely with 180, then 220...the i heated it up infront of 2 salamnders and underneath my huge garage heater set at 90....applied 2 coats of primer..then another 3 coats of the red paint....then 2 coats of clear...then i let it dry for 2 days under neath the heater..and whenever i could have them on the salamanders where on..and as for crazy400ex man...i find it funny that your new to this site...and make nothing but stupid posts....and you try to call me dumb:rolleyes:

Diedrich
05-13-2003, 11:03 AM
im bout to have my frame painted. my painter told me it would hold up good. plus hes only charging me about $40 cause he gets the paint for free

05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
i sanded the frame completely with 180, then 220...the i heated it up infront of 2 salamnders and underneath my huge garage heater set at 90....applied 2 coats of primer..then another 3 coats of the red paint....then 2 coats of clear...then i let it dry for 2 days under neath the heater..and whenever i could have them on the salamanders where on

Sounds like a decent deal but something went wrong. It could have gotten contaminated by the exhaust of the heaters blowing on it but that would usually show up as fish eyes etc but I have seen problems with the heaters that were never completely figured out. Most likely there was something going on between the primer and paint that didnt allow them to adhear properly. Its nothing to special as you must have seen many a car with paint problems right from the mfg and they paint millions every year.

Something that I tell to the "pro's" and it drives some of them nuts is that when you are having problems you cant figure out easily just remember that fast quicky job you did that held up forever and try to figure that one out. Sometimes theres just no easy explanation.

Castor-426ex
05-13-2003, 05:23 PM
you have to be precise on hardener....too little and the paint will be soft and wont last

too much and the paint will be brittle and easy to chip

pc it

Castor-426ex
05-13-2003, 05:24 PM
hmm heres what you need

Castor-426ex
05-13-2003, 05:25 PM
and this

Castor-426ex
05-13-2003, 05:25 PM
i could go on but im too lazy to resize pics...lol

05-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Ooooh noooo another DBU guy :D

That stuff would crack off the frame faster than a old ford pinto :devil

Whats that PPG stand for anyway ? :rolleyes:

Castor-426ex
05-13-2003, 05:33 PM
my term for ppg is

piss poor goods

but im used it to aid a fast paint job on an s10 body with an lt1 in it

actually the paint job wasnt that bad

but no i was kidding...i wouldnt paint a frame lol

05-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
my term for ppg is

piss poor goods

but im used it to aid a fast paint job on an s10 body with an lt1 in it

actually the paint job wasnt that bad

but no i was kidding...i wouldnt paint a frame lol

Cool you knew that saying huh LOL

I was actually thinking of trying out a epoxy prime and paint as a test. You may know that epoxies kind of dupe the idea of the pc without heat, kinda like they bond to or adhear to themselves as well as what you paint them on etc. Some epoxy works real well on corrosive enviro stuff so I am thinking about it. It even flakes off in solid large pieces after the corrosion works from behind it sort of like how pc does.

Just a thought