PDA

View Full Version : Please help with timing chain!

12-29-2001, 10:13 PM
I just took the whole top end off to replace a broken stud. I put it all back together after a good cleaning, but i put the timing chain tensioner in last. I tighten the bolts and i thought it would be the same tension as before considering i didn't change anything. Is there a way to adjust it?? And also how do you make sure the timing is correct? Its a 2001 300ex by the way.

moto93
12-30-2001, 07:38 AM
The cam chain tensioner is self-adjusting (spring loaded). You have to compress the spring, hold it while you put it in, then release it.

To check timing: when 'T' mark on flywheel is lined up with index mark on crankcase cover (timing hole) the dot on the cam gear is on top, cam lobes facing down.

Hope this helps,

12-30-2001, 08:07 AM
Where do i find the T-mark and the index mark? Where is the flywheel located?? The books picture i have doesn't help.

moto93
12-30-2001, 09:53 AM
On the left side of the motor (sitting on quad) there are two inspection caps. After you remove the smaller cap there will be a mark in the crankcase. Shine a light in the hole while you're turning the flywheel (You'll need to remove the large cap and use a socket to turn the flywheel) and you'll be able to see it.

12-30-2001, 07:32 PM
You really should invest in a shop manual like Clymers to help you when doing engine work. It has all kinds of information that you would never know. It has pictures of all of the timing marks and describes how to adjust the tensioner besides all of the torque specs on the fasteners. You shouldn't turn your motor over until you make sure the timing is right or it could cause damage. Good luck.