PDA

View Full Version : neutral switch not letting it start

yellow_ho_01
12-29-2001, 09:56 PM
my friend has a '00 400ex, just with the last ride or so, we have noticed that it is becomeing diffecult to start, it seems that the neut. light HAS to be on, even though the tranny is in neut. the light doesn't always come on. i noticed that once while the light was on, i pulled the clutch in like half way and the light shut off, but i did not change gears. anyone know anything about the switch, is it on the clutch mount, or tranny...?

Leo
12-29-2001, 10:15 PM
it should start with the clutch pulled in, regardless of what gear the tranny is in..

there are actually 2 safety switches..

1 mounted just ahead of the gearshift (that runs the neutral light) and 1 in the clutch lever (that allows you to start the bike in gear)..

even without the trans in neutral, you should be able to pull the clutch and have the machine start.

(btw my neutral light seldom worked when new.. I just tightened up the connection a bit, it's worked fine ever since).

Leo

yellow_ho_01
12-30-2001, 06:32 AM
thanks for the info, like i said, the ONLY time it starts most of the time is when the light is on. and even then 50% of the time the light goes out if you pull the clutch half way in. ill do some checking on it, thanks

4punksdad
12-31-2001, 09:39 AM
yeah...my neutral light only comes on about 50% of the time too. no biggie...............yank in on the clutch & fire it up.

Tommy 17
12-31-2001, 10:14 AM
does anyone elses light go out when u hit the gas just the tinniest bit....

yellow_ho_01
12-31-2001, 10:16 AM
ya, i hear you about pulling in the clutch and fireing it up, but thats half the problem too, about every 1 out of 5 pulls on the clutch, the switch is not working( lets the engine start) so we are forced to sti there and play with it till it works right.
i was playing with it yesturday and noticed that when playing with the shifter, the neut. light goes out before you even change gears, right about half way,( it doesn't change the gear but the light goes out) soits kinda like 2 problems with rev/clutch switches

416 EXtreme
12-31-2001, 02:42 PM
Afriend of mine had the same problem.It turned out to be a bad nuetral safety switch.(the one by the shifter).If it doesnt work the bike wont start.Also heard of it being just a bad connection.

12-31-2001, 04:08 PM
I would try to take the switch apart, get some contact cleaner (or brake clean, i love brake clean) and clean the connectors, put it back together and see if that works.

badass400ex
01-10-2002, 06:27 AM
my nuetral light comes on when im riding in any gear anyone ever heard of this?