PDA

View Full Version : polaris help!

zzbudzz
05-11-2003, 08:57 PM
i need to take off the starter on this fine machine(96 300 explorer).i can't get to some of the bolts that hold the starter on because of this belt drive thing(large silver pulley and the plastic cover behind it(have no idea what the name of it is)how do i get this off ? is it reverse threads? i don't want to strip the bolt head.......:confused: if i get the bolt out will it slide right off the shaft is there any thing i need to be aware of?......

KevinM
05-12-2003, 05:01 AM
You'll need a primary clutch puller. If you're friends with anyone at the Polaris dealer they may lend you one or you could take it there and have them pull it off for you. If you're going to keep the machine for a while, you may be better of buying one. I believe HPD, Hotseat and AAEN sell them.

zzbudzz
05-12-2003, 09:39 AM
how much do they (clutch puller) cost? do i need to go through all this to get the starter off!? or am i missing something?

KevinM
05-12-2003, 01:49 PM
$20 plus shipping. It may be possible to get at the starter bolts without pulling the clutch & backing plate, but I doubt it. If you have the tool, its a really simple process to remove everything.

http://www.hpd-inc.com/Clutchmisc.html (Clutch Puller)

GOMER007
05-13-2003, 05:54 AM
you don't need too take off the clutch to get the starter off it's kinda hard to doo but taking the clutch off does help