PDA

View Full Version : Installing Grips?

David
05-11-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm installing grips on my 400ex. I was just wondering how do I get the bar ends off? Do you unsrew them and pull them off? I can't get it? Please Help.

I just bought Smith Dual Density Grips. Who all has these grips?

300exTJjeeper
05-12-2003, 07:39 AM
yepa just unbolt the ends and pull them out. Sometimes they will stick and you have to pull real hard to get them out.

sly400ex
05-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Yeah, you may have to pry a screwdriver between them.....

05-12-2003, 10:33 AM
I ha dthe same problem...take a flathead crew drivers & pry them off. You'll only wind up stripping thos phillip head screws in there. I dont know what the bar ends are really for? anti-vibration? its a dumb design

MX250r
05-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Oury locking grips all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stocktires
05-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by MX250r
Oury locking grips all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

locking grips? Would ya care to enlighten us bro?

volume3512003
05-13-2003, 03:18 PM
well when you are hitting the corners and your leaning in they might slide off the bars and i dont think you want that the help keep the grips in place

MX250r
05-13-2003, 06:32 PM
locking grips? Would ya care to enlighten us bro?

You know what Oury grips are right???? They are like medium-hard compound gel grips. Full waffle.

Well, they make them in locking now. There is a aluminum lock on the inside and outside of both grips. It holds them really tight. The locks clamp the grip between them and the bar. VERY VERY cool design. No more slipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-14-2003, 12:05 PM
I use the Smith dual density grips seem to work pretty good.. Some people around here complain about them the middle part of the grip peels off on them, weird never happened to me.. I think the next grip I might try would be the renthal medium density diamond..

stocktires
05-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I use the Smith dual density grips seem to work pretty good.. Some people around here complain about them the middle part of the grip peels off on them, weird never happened to me.. I think the next grip I might try would be the renthal medium density diamond..

I LOVE the Renthal med. compound diamond grips. I've tried oury and scott, and I just really dont care for the waffle style.
I paid $18 just to get the renthal grips :eek2: :p :D

crap-banshee32
05-14-2003, 04:03 PM
what i do when putting grips on is I spray, spray aheasive into the inside of the grip!!! and then slide it on real quick b/c when u first spray it it is slippery, them make sure u have it where u want to and let is sit for a few minutes!! when the aheasive dries the grip stick right to the bars!! this has worked for me great and ive had no problems with it!!

hope i helped!

lil400exman
05-15-2003, 04:00 AM
i use hairspray and safety wire...................... i just cut it where my hands dont have alot of contact with it and i cut it short. with hairspay this combo has made me cut every pair of grips i own..................:eek:

bigbadbrad
05-15-2003, 08:40 AM
and if you are not runing that little end thing, or wrap around hand guards you might want to put a nickle in your grips, and push it all the way in, so the bars dnot cut the end of the grip up , and also so if you do put it on the side the grip wont rip through the bar

stocktires
05-15-2003, 11:41 AM
I've tried hair spray, but it never really works,

GRIP GLUE ACTUALLY WORKS! lol
Renthal grip glue works awesome for me, has never failed, but i'm gonna use safety wire too for a lil insurance this time

lil400exman
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
yes it does i use that too but hairspray gives ya a lil adjustment................;)

toby400ex
05-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Ive been using spray adhesive, but after a really wet ride saturday my grips were spinnin on the bars, i got some scott grip glue, it seems good. It smells horrible though.

Ryan
05-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
I've tried hair spray, but it never really works,

GRIP GLUE ACTUALLY WORKS! lol
Renthal grip glue works awesome for me, has never failed, but i'm gonna use safety wire too for a lil insurance this time

Grip glue is the way to go ;) :p . I have went through a few pair of grips and the current grips im using has the wire around them. My old grips started slipping after awhile but these suckers havn't moved yet :devil .