PDA

View Full Version : 440 stroker?

BadA$$440
05-11-2003, 11:40 AM
ok, i have a 416 kit with a cam now. I will be tearing my motor apart soon and was thinking about getting a stroker crank. couples questions.

1. do i buy a stroker crank or do i send mine off to get it stroked?

2. How much are we looking at for just the crank?

3. Do i have to do anything to the top end like cam/rockers, etc.

4. Who do you reccomend?

Thanks

nick23
05-11-2003, 11:45 AM
send your but if you go stroker ur going to have to get a je or powerall stoker piston and i would go with bud fisher in ashtabula ohi..wow he makes some bad *** bikes.!

05-11-2003, 12:50 PM
For Dirt Only has done a couple of 463 strokers for some guys on here including my self. unless you can find a used stroked crank you will have to send you crank to be stroked. The only other real necesities is a new rod and piston along with having the cylinder bored. a 463 stroker will start witha base price of about $1500.

BadA$$440
05-11-2003, 01:56 PM
why would i have to bore the cylinder if its already a 416? or would i have to bore it to make it a 463? whats a 463, a 426 stroked? $1,500 seems like alot since all i need is to get me crank stroke, and a new rod and piston.

Another question, will it run alot hotter, and how is the reliability with a 440/463 stroker motor?

Sick0
05-11-2003, 03:40 PM
I think i read your post a little better than the next guy.

Cost of a stroke crank. about 500 to 600 dollars. I think profab, prowell does them.

I'm not sure but I thinkm you have to send it out. I think they uses your crank and modify it.

You don't have to do anything to the topend. but It would be a good Idea top have top work to better match the engine.

if you don't do the 440 big bore kit you will have a true stroker 440 motor. if put the 440 big bore and stroke it will be a 465.

Mr_Bub400ex
05-11-2003, 06:07 PM
powerolls 440 srtoker is $544 or close. i would also get a heavy duty con rod. poweroll makes them. they also told me i could use a ross piston so i dont think its much anything special. but u have to send ur crank

oregonrider89
05-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Good idea to build a stroker motor. I love mine.

1. Send your crank to have it stroked. They will use your stock crank. If there is any chance you will do a 465 later get a heavy duty rod now! It will save you time and money in the long run. The heavy rod is also good insurance.

2. For $550 you get your crank stroked and a JE 416 piston kit from Powroll. ( They do great work, thats where I have mine done)

3. As far as the top end, the more you want to do the better it will run. You should do a cam, rockers, valve springs, and a carb to maximize the stroker, but it will run with just you drop-in cam, But if your doing a stroker might as well do it the right way and get all the good stuff.

4. I recomend the Powroll Stroker kit. Check out their website www.powroll.com I just got back from the dunes and had a great time. I got beat by a couple built Banshees and a 330R, and that was it. You'll love a stroker motor.

oregonrider89

BadA$$440
05-12-2003, 01:14 AM
have you raced any 400's/416/426/440's? If so, how bad did you beat them. I just checked out powroll, $504 for the piston kit and stroking my crank. Dont seem to bad.

They want $600 for a 39mm fcr, thats insane

I'll give TC a call, and see what he has to offer, i want to shop aroun first.

05-12-2003, 08:17 AM
how reliable are they??? can you get a stroker in anything but a 465 like a 416??

honda250xrider
05-12-2003, 08:31 AM
powroll does do good work, but i would go with another company if i had the chance the ladie was always nice when i talked to her on the phone, but they told me 584$ when they told me the cost of stroking it after i sent them the crank and i asked them if they had to replace anything, they said no, they also told me 2 weeks and it would be done, well 5 weeks later after about 4 calls were made they told me they just got done with my crank and would be shipping it out, but they told me 2 weeks before that they would be shipping it out that week. anyways the final price was 625$ they told me i had to replace a bearing or something, but i wasnt happy when i asked them that 584$ was how much everything cost and nothing needed replaced and they told me no. and the waiting i wasnt to fond of. so just my experience with them

oregonrider89
05-12-2003, 02:37 PM
honda250xrider
That does sound like a bad experience, but I don't think thats a totaly accurate representation of the customer service they offer. They said 2 weeks for my crank and I got it back in 1 1/2. I live in Oregon but that is still fast. And I didn't get any hiddne charges. I'm sure if they said you needed a new bearing you did.

93 300ex
The 440 stroker is a 416 bore with a +4mm crank (74mm). Mine has been very reliable, I change my oil regularly and make sure my valves are adjusted properly and haven't had any trouble with it.

Bad*****440
Depending on the hill the 440 bore kits are a couple bike lengths behind me. 416's are quick, but the added torque of the stroker seems to eat them up. Not only is it fast but it climbs really well. I come out of holes by Banshee's buddies won't even try. The carb is expensive from Powroll, definatly shop around for a better deal.

oregonrider89

BadA$$440
05-12-2003, 03:14 PM
ya, im going to find a engine builder to stroke my crank, get a FCR39mm, port and polish head, and a LRD exhaust. I'll leave my hotcams and stock rockers alone till i get some money.