PDA

View Full Version : Yet aother Hotcams problem!!!

Dune Surfer
05-11-2003, 11:24 AM
This is the hotacms stage 2 I bought on 9-10-02. As you can see the flange has seperated from the cam. As luck would have it I went in to retighten my head and found this. I noticed a differant sound coming from my top end last time I rode. Well I wanted to tighten up the head acorn's after a ride ( I replaced the gasket last week) While I was in there I started looking around to try and track down the strange noise. When I removed the cam I noticed the flange was loose:huh In the picture you can see how far I was able to pull it out by hand.:grr I hope Hotcams customer service is as good as everyone claims. I'll be calling them on Monday. I bought the cam from C&D. If anyone bought a cam during the same time period I would remove it and inspect it ASAP

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 11:27 AM
the outer edge of the lobes dont look too good either

Dune Surfer
05-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Your right. I think that was caused by the cam moving around.

Glamis400ex
05-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Dune Surfer,

I've been seriously thinking about not going with the Hotcams cuz I don't think they are nearly up to par with other companies. What do you think, since we're going to do mine here very shortly.?.?

Glamis

northeast400
05-11-2003, 01:40 PM
This seems to be becoming a regular thing, Did it damage the motor?

Doibugu2
05-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Dune Surfer,

I've been seriously thinking about not going with the Hotcams cuz I don't think they are nearly up to par with other companies. What do you think, since we're going to do mine here very shortly.?.?

Glamis

Seems to me that the cam is pretty important withen the engine and these guys have clearly had there problems lately. However they claim that just had a bad batch. But I just wouldn't risk putting one of those in my quad. I would much rather spend some extra money to have the piece of mind.

JMO

Dune you seem to have some bad luck lately.

Glamis400ex
05-11-2003, 01:49 PM
I agree with Doibugu2,

I've already spent a fair amount of $$$ on parts already, and might have to come up with more for a better drop-in cam. I forgot what other choices I have in that catagory tho..:confused:

Glamis

mikeboone
05-11-2003, 01:50 PM
You must have mean 9-10-02 instead of 03? I do hope they get all these problms fixed. I got mine from C&D also but have no problems thus far.

Doibugu2
05-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Glamis, how do you like your hydrolic clutch?

The only other cam that I know is a drop in is the XR. Rytm1 I'm pretty sure has that in his and its pretty fast. I have never rode any other 416 but what a difference. Once I finish spending money on shocks I am going to start on the engine. But that probably won't be till next year.

Glamis400ex
05-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Glamis, how do you like your hydrolic clutch?

I don't have a hydraulic clutch...:confused:

Glamis

05-11-2003, 02:05 PM
sparks makes a drop in cam and my friend has a stage II hotcam and has had it for 1 and half yesrs i think u jus got a bad one dune...jus call em up...they rock and will hook u up

Doibugu2
05-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Sorry, just glanced at you sign, and saw magnun and thought it was magna clutch.

May bad.

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 02:23 PM
they have good customer service

Tony tice is the man to talk to

Check your rockers too on the pads....make sure that they are all smooth

im about ready to check mine again for the third time....third cam too...lol

but this one has done right by me so far.....(knock on wood)

Dune Surfer
05-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Glamis I just don't know. The other drop in's need hardend rockers and springs $$$ This one was purchased about the time they had problems. I"ll try another one. Didn't do any damage and I replaced the rockers with the cam, their fine. lUCKILY i KNOW MY ENGINE SO WELL i COULD HEAR THE SLIGHT DIFFERENCE IN THE NOISE IT MADE WHEN IT CAME LOOSE. Sorry cap lock (can you say budwisier) No harm done. I just hope the replace it. There is really no place for the cam to go when it's installed. Still I want it right. Mabey check webcams and a sparks drop in to see if they need hardend rockers.
PS hey glamis I installed AIM screen name dunesurfer1

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 03:32 PM
dune....are you sporting a mullet? :D :D joking man

hope you get the cam issue fixed

05-11-2003, 03:32 PM
web cam u do..sparks u dont...i would stick with hotcam though...u jus got unlucky

Doibugu2
05-11-2003, 03:33 PM
I know there is a couple other options that don't need hardened rockers. Don't remember which ones but there are a few.

Sick0
05-11-2003, 03:49 PM
From reading around , Hot cams had a bad batc h and have corrected the problem THey has been alot of theis going on. but they know of the problem and being good about. They been replacing the cams for free. I geuss there has been no problem with the new batch.

Just talk to them and give them a chance. I bet the will help you out.

Glamis400ex
05-11-2003, 04:13 PM
No Castor426...Dune Surfer is not sporting a mullet. :huh

Glamis

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 04:16 PM
lmgdfao:D

lilpoppy
05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
From what I hear they have fixed the problem by attaching the flange before they send them out, in fact I think they are welded on or something permanent. From what I have heard there were only about 50 or so bad ones and that was last year some time. I would deffinatly use the Hotcams if you want a drop in cam. I just rebuilt myne with a hotcam and I'm not worried at all.

Dave400ex
05-11-2003, 04:30 PM
TC Racing makes Drop-In Cams that don't need harden rockers or valve springs...

Doibugu2
05-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
From what I hear they have fixed the problem by attaching the flange before they send them out, in fact I think they are welded on or something permanent. From what I have heard there were only about 50 or so bad ones and that was last year some time. I would deffinatly use the Hotcams if you want a drop in cam. I just rebuilt myne with a hotcam and I'm not worried at all.

I just don't see the point of paying 100 for a part and it might screw up my engine. Hotcams seems to take care of the problem but how do we really know. If it weren't for this site most of us may have never knew there was a problem.

Sick0
05-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Well if there was only 50 bad cams somebody is either BS or I'm and a bunch otheres on here have bad luck. Theres been like 20 or more problems with the sproket cam. I could push and pull off the cam sproket with my hand with no force.

Dune Surfer
05-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
No Castor426...Dune Surfer is not sporting a mullet. :huh

Glamis

:huh :huh :huh Mullet??? Im a surfer from cali. we dont do mullets

lilpoppy
05-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I just don't see the point of paying 100 for a part and it might screw up my engine. Hotcams seems to take care of the problem but how do we really know. If it weren't for this site most of us may have never knew there was a problem.

The only problem with the cams is the flange and they are permanently attached now so there is no chance of that happening. So where is the problem?

Doibugu2
05-11-2003, 04:47 PM
hey to each there own. I'm just stating my opinion.

But how do you know if it is attached or not before its too late? Thats all I'm saying.

lilpoppy
05-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Well I don't know try calling the factory and asking. If they say yes order it directly for them. It isn't that hard to figure out.:huh

lilpoppy
05-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Look at all the profiles of everyone on this site with a 416 or something in that area and what do 85%-90% of them use. Hotcams. You can't argue with that. Now I would say that that many people can't be wrong. The problem has been fixed and that is a fact. If you don't believe me call and ask for yourself. I'm just trying to help you out and you keep telling me I'm wrong even though I'm the only one with the facts. Buy whatever you want but I'm telling you for the money this is the way to go.

L.Vegas400
05-11-2003, 05:55 PM
by flange your talking about the piece with two bolt holes in it right? i just got my cam about 5 days ago and there was no flange on it. it still has to be pulled off the old cam and pressed on the new cam. could there be somthing wrong with the way it was pressed on. maybe an incompitant macineist.

JD400exrider
05-11-2003, 06:25 PM
HRC Cam here (Honda Racing Corp. Hop up cam for the xr 400) Grind number VERY close to a stage 2. hot cam.
Flange comes installed. No hardened rockers needed. No problems as of yet. ;)

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Vegas...buddy...buy a new flange from honda 14 bucks and that way youll know for sure

the problem is the splines on the cam...some of them were out of spec....it took me 3 cams to finally get a good one...but i cant complain about the customer service over there at hot cams...Tony Tice is the man to talk to and he will almost sacrafice a holy goat to make any issue you have right....

he talked about just casting the cam with a flange already on it....that would be cool...and innovative

all i know is this... it took 400lbs with a press to get the flange off my stocker

so i expect it to take near that to get it on any aftermarket cam.....if it goes on by hand its your call.....

i had tony send me one with a flange pre pressed on with surface prep and loc tite

and it has held good to this day.....i hope...lol

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 03:52 AM
i can pull my broach of my cam with my hand

over 100 hours no cam troubles

red loctite will solve your probs

the wear on your cam is nothing. the cam COULD not have moved in the head.

the new cams are one peice. the broach is NOW PART OF THE CASTING!

who ever just got one you got a old cam not a new one.

Doibugu2
05-12-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
Look at all the profiles of everyone on this site with a 416 or something in that area and what do 85%-90% of them use. Hotcams. You can't argue with that. Now I would say that that many people can't be wrong. The problem has been fixed and that is a fact. If you don't believe me call and ask for yourself. I'm just trying to help you out and you keep telling me I'm wrong even though I'm the only one with the facts. Buy whatever you want but I'm telling you for the money this is the way to go.

What facts are u trying to state? I don't see anything but opinions. Look at the 3 people in this thread. Dune Surfer had problems, Castor sent his back, and YZ had some issues too. That may not be a big deal to you, but it is to me. None of these guys have had serious problems, but once I put something in my engine I don't want to have to go in and check on it every 3 weeks. Thats all I'm saying.

UglyMotha™
05-12-2003, 04:42 AM
i waited for four months to get mine from c&d racing and finally got it two months ago and had my head apart last weekend and the flange is still tighter than a mofo i wouldn't be affraid to buy one of the newer ones from them beside's the fact that the flange is now part of the same casting you you know it won't be coming off now

Dave400ex
05-12-2003, 12:05 PM
XR's only makes a good copy of the HRC Cam for a lot cheaper...

lilpoppy
05-12-2003, 01:30 PM
What facts are u trying to state? I don't see anything but opinions. Look at the 3 people in this thread. Dune Surfer had problems, Castor sent his back, and YZ had some issues too. That may not be a big deal to you, but it is to me. None of these guys have had serious problems, but once I put something in my engine I don't want to have to go in and check on it every 3 weeks. Thats all I'm saying.

Dude try reading my posts before you flame back at me. The only problem there has ever been with hotcams is the flange coming loose. They are now permanently attached to the cam from the factory meaning there is no way it could ever happen again, meaning PROBLEM SOLVED. Are we clear now. I'm kinda getting tired of repeating myself on every post. Just make sure you order straight from the factory so you get one of the new ones. By the way I broke myne in this weekend and it freaking ripps now. All these mods ended up costing me a ton of money but I have to say it was well worth it.

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 11:36 PM
the XR's ONLY HRC is the same part number as the HOTCAM because it is!

:rolleyes: :D

Taco
05-13-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
the XR's ONLY HRC is the same part number as the HOTCAM because it is!

:rolleyes: :D
How can they call it a HRC copy then? The stage 2 is close but has different lift and duration.

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 01:59 AM
I beleive it says "similar"

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 02:01 AM
my bad it is a copy

dont know who makes it but the hotcam cams now say it on the website

Taco
05-13-2003, 02:15 AM
Where does it say this? I'm just looked at the hotcams webpage and I don't see anything to refer to what you were saying. Not trying to flame just trying to figure this out.:D Are you talking about on the Xr's only website?

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 02:18 AM
xrsonly.com

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 02:19 AM
XR/TRX400 179.95

P/N 02-1020 – HRC Copy (This cam is compatible with stock rockers)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XR400 (ALL) Stage 1 Cam (Hot Cams) 149.95

P/N XR400S1-A - Stage 1 excellent midrange and top end power increase. (Use stock valve springs and rockers)NOTE: This cam does not use the auto-decompressor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XR400 (ALL) Stage 2 Cam (Hot Cams) 149.95

P/N XR400S2-A - Stage 2 for motocross or desert racing only. (Uses stock valve springs and rockers) NOTE: This cam does not use the auto-decompressor.

XR/TRX400 1996-02 553.95

P/N 14000-NKK-000 – HRC Cam

05-13-2003, 02:49 AM
I called XR's only about this and yes they now offer the stage 1 and 2 hot cams. BUT this has just started....XRs only DID in fact have a HRC XR400 cam that is more expensive and all around better than the hotcams, but they did away with them and now use hotcams.....which still blows my mind...:eek2: Wonder how many complaints they've gotten from customers over brokcams.....I mean hot cams.....:o

There's also a member on her who ran this cam in his motor against another Identical setup motor with a TC MX cam and he said no cam out there that he knows of is better than the HRC cam that XR's only used to carry. They no longer carry it or the $179 priced cam....:( I called to order the cam from them but found out they only carried hotcams so I said thanks fer your time and hung up...

Doibugu2
05-13-2003, 03:21 AM
Who makes a cam for trail riding? From what YZ posted about the stage 1 and 2 hotcams neither sounds all that good for trail riding. And I remember castor saying you better keep the revs up for low end power.

Rico how did the TC cam do against the HRC cam?

05-13-2003, 03:32 AM
Who makes a cam for trail riding? From what YZ posted about the stage 1 and 2 hotcams neither sounds all that good for trail riding. And I remember castor saying you better keep the revs up for low end power.

Rico how did the TC cam do against the HRC cam?

The stock XR400 cam is great for trail riding if it's tight trails..no keepin the revs up there really and the cost is nice too. Next choice would be a TC GNCC grind cam for around $190 or so...

The HRC cam blew the doors off the TC cam from what I was told... :ermm:

Bill Fuller
05-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Iv'e been running a TC national cam now for 3 seasons no hard faced rockers maybe more $ but 3 years!I have also had this cam in 2 different bikes now(the cam outlasted my last 400)I will definatley buy another one(someday)

05-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Iv'e been running a TC national cam now for 3 seasons no hard faced rockers maybe more $ but 3 years!I have also had this cam in 2 different bikes now(the cam outlasted my last 400)I will definatley buy another one(someday)

Bill I'm guessin it's the GNCC cam correct???

hook
05-13-2003, 09:08 AM
heres some cam specs if it helps hrc .350 .339 254 256 xr400 .326 .321 240 244 stage2 hot cam .346 .346 254 254

hook
05-13-2003, 09:18 AM
wb all around .345 .335 240 248 not for sure on price$

Colby@C&DRacing
05-13-2003, 09:23 AM
The hotcams are just fine. Dune surfer got one of the cam around the same time that the spline problem arose. I have one of the hotcams in my wifes 416 and it is working great. Every product has a potenial for a problem. I think hot cam has done a good job cleaning up the spline issue. I feel there is nothing to worry about since this is an older cam. Now if this was a new cam that I send out within the last month I would be looking for some more answers but I have looked at every cam that I have on the shelf and they are all ok. I also would agree that the stage 2 is more of a mid to top cam but still works great for trail riding.:)

Doibugu2
05-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Yea but Colby they let one batch go out, what's not to say it won't happen again? We the consumer deciedes who stays in business and who doesn't. Hotcams did seem to take care of the problem, but I cannot see that they mass produce these parts. And when I say mass produce I mean in the 100 of thousands. Hotcams probably only sells around 1000 or 2 a year. Thats not a very good track record if you ask me.

05-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I also would agree that the stage 2 is more of a mid to top cam but still works great for trail riding.:)

Colby you need ta come out to the east coast and ride some of our trails.....:D Average speed of all the XC races I've run is well below 20 mph,,I think one was 13 mph:ermm: I want a top end cam sooooo bad but the terrain and racing I do just won't let me..so I have a torque monstor instead:devil

UglyMotha™
05-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Colby you need ta come out to the east coast and ride some of our trails.....:D Average speed of all the XC races I've run is well below 20 mph,,I think one was 13 mph:ermm: I want a top end cam sooooo bad but the terrain and racing I do just won't let me..so I have a torque monstor instead:devil

those don't sound like "balls to the wall" speeds

you are getting old:huh

j/p:p

05-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
those don't sound like "balls to the wall" speeds

you are getting old:huh

j/p:p

I found that when you do go balls to the wall...the tree's start to jump out in front of you more often...:( I'm averaging at least 2 dismounts off the quad per XC race...:o Only 1 has really hurt me and I still only have about 80% use of my left thumb..

Doibugu2
05-13-2003, 10:04 AM
If you weren't such a scardy cat you wouldn't jump off everytime you see a little twig in front of you. That quad of yours will run them little twigs over if your going fast enough:chinese:

J/P

05-13-2003, 10:07 AM
man i wanna start racin xc like a mo man...but where the hell is a track for xc racin in kansas?

ridered86
05-13-2003, 10:14 AM
5 months with mine and no problems here, thats a hotcams stage 2.

Dave400ex
05-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Bill are you using the Stock Valve Springs with the Cam too?

Bill Fuller
05-13-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Bill are you using the Stock Valve Springs with the Cam too? Yes as stated earlier same cam 2 different 400's:muscle:

Bill Fuller
05-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Bill I'm guessin it's the GNCC cam correct??? Yes I'm assuming so like I said Iv'e had it for 3 seasons(you know how I ride).:D It says TC NATIONAL 929 on it.When I bought it I talked with Tom quite abit and he understood the kind of riding I do.Buy the way the first 400 was a 426,now I'm running the 416.

quad_62
05-13-2003, 02:57 PM
man i wanna start racin xc like a mo man...but where the hell is a track for xc racin in kansas?

I dont know what part of kansas you are from, but try they www.korrksmxracer.org (http://www.korrksmxracer.org ) have a harescamble series, mx, and supercross series.

05-13-2003, 02:59 PM
sweet dude...thx for telling me about this...do u have aim or msn or some chatting service where i can talk to u?

Dave400ex
05-13-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks Bill I plan on getting the TC GNCC Cam and JE 416 Piston here in the next month...

Dune Surfer
05-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Problem solved, Hotcams customer service is great. They paid shipping both ways, shipped a new cam to me as soon as I sent them a tracking number on the one I returned. They now come with a flange already installed. Very nice people and concerned about their customers. Lets face it they had a problem they solved it and were not afraid to step up to the plate and do whatever it takes to satisfy their customers. Good job Hotcams:D

lilpoppy
05-13-2003, 03:56 PM
So does this mean you are gonna be in Pismo for memorial weekend?

Dune Surfer
05-13-2003, 03:59 PM
The weekend after, the 24th

White_Knuckles
05-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Yea!!!, finally customer service not the usual dis-service.

Now, about that mullet.......:p

Dune Surfer
05-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
Yea!!!, finally customer service not the usual dis-service.

Now, about that mullet.......:p

No mullet:ermm: Most guys my age don't have hair:eek2:

Dune Surfer
05-13-2003, 06:12 PM
see no mullet

Castor-426ex
05-13-2003, 07:09 PM
hey man you missed tanning your ear

lmao jk man thank god no mullet:D

Evan
05-13-2003, 07:36 PM

There's also a member on her who ran this cam in his motor against another Identical setup motor with a TC MX cam and he said no cam out there that he knows of is better than the HRC cam that XR's only used to carry.

This is proably off the wall but,, I wonder if thats not the cam that Sparks uses. When I talked to them about their cams, he said they sat down with honda and had them spec'd out and all and were supposed to work with stock springs and rockers.. One of the reasons I say this is because looking at the sparks cam and the stock cam, they are indentical except for the lobes, they have the same machine marks and all, come with the decompresion thing already on.

quad_62
05-14-2003, 02:14 AM
for all of you ppl that are going to the hotcams website as soon as you read this, go to http://www.hotcamsinc.com because i just found out that hotcams.com has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to to with atv's. just a warning!!!

Dune Surfer
05-14-2003, 02:28 AM
ha ha ha can you say porn site:eek2:

JD400exrider
05-14-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Evan
This is proably off the wall but,, I wonder if thats not the cam that Sparks uses. When I talked to them about their cams, he said they sat down with honda and had them spec'd out and all and were supposed to work with stock springs and rockers.. One of the reasons I say this is because looking at the sparks cam and the stock cam, they are indentical except for the lobes, they have the same machine marks and all, come with the decompresion thing already on.

That is a good point. Sparks basicly told me the same thing. My HRC cam from honda looked the same as the stocker with a different grind on the lobes. If it is the same you can save some money buying the HRC cam from service honda.

The HRC copy that xr's only was selling did not use the decompression gizmo. They were grinding there own to match the HRC spec's. They had the HRC cam listed at 500.00+ bones on their web site. I am sure you could sell allot of copies at 179.00 when your selling the honda HRC for that much.

QuadJunkies
11-18-2004, 12:19 AM
I am now added to this list..... :grr:

86350x
11-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

What happened? I avoided buying a hotcam after I read this back in the day.:ermm:

I went with a white brothers hard weld all around cam. And kibble white valves and spings on my old 2 valve trail thumper. Hundreds of hard hrs and zero problems.

QuadJunkies
11-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
What happened? I avoided buying a hotcam after I read this back in the day.:ermm:

I went with a white brothers hard weld all around cam. And kibble white valves and spings on my old 2 valve trail thumper. Hundreds of hard hrs and zero problems.

Well... this is what started the whole thing... This is how it ended up..... :grr:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130709

Its EXACTLY what DuneSurfer said.... Ive had my Cam for 10 months it was installed in Dec 2003-Jan. 2004(I cant remeber what Month right off hand) were calling them tomorrow. I start my Race series on Sat!!!:grr: IF I miss a race Im NOT going to be happy....

86350x
11-18-2004, 01:17 AM
Do you have your stock cam still:confused:

Cleanshave300ex's 440 still runs good with the stock cam. I guess I'm just stubborn, but if I put an aftermarket cam in anything it's going to be a hard weld, or its going to come from web cam,inc.

QuadJunkies
11-18-2004, 01:56 AM
No. they kpet it after the install.......... :mad:

Do you know what HotCams website is??? and a phone number??? I would like to call them bright and early tomorrow...apparently they havent got rid of ALL the flaws yet....:grr:

86350x
11-18-2004, 02:09 AM
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/contactus.asp

here ya go tina,its beddy by time for me. Hope you get it straightened out before the race.:(

UglyMotha™
11-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

tina how the hell did you get ahold of the old style cam when your motor isn't even a year old yet and that problem happend almost two years ago :huh

Bush0102
11-18-2004, 08:13 AM
lol @ the pencil...

Rico
11-18-2004, 08:14 AM
:eek:

:mad: :mad:

QuadJunkies
11-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
tina how the hell did you get ahold of the old style cam when your motor isn't even a year old yet and that problem happend almost two years ago :huh I dunno.:confused: Thats what I was wondering too??!! MAYBE it wasnt an old one??? not sure, but a buddy of mine called hotCam and got my replacement taken care of for Free and will be overnighted (at my expense) I havent had a chance to talk to him yet and find out details, but Ill know more later today. Im glad we caught it in time beofre my motor would have went up in smoke :(