PDA

View Full Version : broken 2nd gear

nastynotchback1
05-10-2003, 03:09 PM
i am on my second 400ex.the first 2003 model lasted 10 hours and the trans went out.so i took it back and they gave me a brand new one for it.today i was at the local mx track and i spun out in a turn.i was in third.the quad stalled so i restarted it click to first and took off.i shifted to second and heard this clanking noise.shifted to third and it went away.have any of you guys had tranny problems with your 400's.thanks god for a warranty.thanks Trai

05-10-2003, 03:17 PM
no....but I have heard of something called...breaking it in, a period in a 4 wheelers life where it has just come to be born & you take it easy on it.

Bill Fuller
05-10-2003, 03:22 PM
2nd gear is the week spot on the 400,I'm on my second 400 now and I'm getting ready to tear down the tranny during the off season.I personally know of 5 or 6 people this has happened to this will be my third rebuild.I am very ruogh to my baby but she keeps on bringing home the wood.

nastynotchback1
05-10-2003, 03:28 PM
just for Crazy400exMan i will add this statment.the 400 i have now has about 50 hrs on it.do you think it is broken in or what

LOL
:D

toby400ex
05-10-2003, 04:52 PM
But did you actually break it in.:p

nastynotchback1
05-11-2003, 02:18 AM
yes i broke it in but what does that have to do with it 50 hrs later.truthfully the honda shop broke it in before i went and got it because of the first one breaking.they felt it would be better for them to break it in.

Sick0
05-11-2003, 10:09 AM
It happen to me. The dogs on the second gear are weak and the wear eastly, The clacking noise was the don't not engaging and kinda skipping instead. The problem is only going to get worst. when My went I had no secord or third.

KY Woods Rider
05-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Out of the people that I know, one of them has lost 2nd gear. Every time he got to riding hard, he figured the clutch took up too much time and was pulling full power upshifts without using the clutch:rolleyes: You can get away with that for a while on 2-stroke motocross dirt bikes, but not on a 4-stroke quad.

nastynotchback1
05-11-2003, 11:28 AM
KY Woods Rider how did you know what my second question was going to be.i never use the clutch for up shifting.i never used it on my street bikes and never had a problem so i figured it wasent going to hurt my quad but i think that is what done it in.anyone else got any input on shifting without the clutch.

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 11:30 AM
thats why it has a clutch

nastynotchback1
05-11-2003, 01:30 PM
i figured that out by now dont you think

swamprider7
05-11-2003, 04:14 PM
You never use the clutch and you are wondering why your tranny is going out????:huh :huh :huh

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
i figured that out by now dont you think

i hope so:(

RIDER11X
05-11-2003, 07:57 PM
You know they sell the V Force now that doesn't require a clutch to be used.:rolleyes: .............:D Just kidding! LOL:D :D :D

RuffRyder400ex
05-12-2003, 12:34 AM
not using the clutch:huh

RuffRyder400ex
05-12-2003, 12:36 AM
my neighbor does the same thing on his 400. not using the clutch. his quad is a piece of junk. he is so heavy and from jumping so much the quad rides about 2 inches off the ground. the plastics are falling off and now he dosnt use the clutch:huh

oynot400
05-12-2003, 01:55 PM
I lost 2nd gear, twice. :( I can't really blame the machine for either one, both were my fault. I was practicing 2nd gear starts and I was having problems. Come to find out I was a little rich on the jetting. :rolleyes: Any way as I dropped the hammer and dumped the clutch, the tranny made a ungodly noise. I took it apart right away and found both the input and output gears for 2nd were broke. So I replaced them. The next weekend I was riding, not real hard, just playing around. I lost 2nd again! :grr I talked with a guy that does quite a few bike trannies. He said you can't put in enough parts in a tranny. After a careful inspection I found the the shift fork was broke. I know it broke the first time, but I missed it when I took it apart.
It doesn't matter what you have, Honda or another brand if you abuse it, it WILL BREAK! :eek:

nastynotchback1
05-12-2003, 02:54 PM
i use the clutch most of the time but if i am at the mx track i never use it.i spun out in a turn and it bogged and cut off.i was in second gear when this happend.i restarted it and second was broke.i think somthing happend when it bogged and cut off.i dont think shifting without the clutch broke it althought it dosent help it either.

Sick0
05-12-2003, 03:44 PM
I had a problem with my second gear before I even knew how to stand up.

RIDER11X
05-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by oynot400
I lost 2nd gear, twice. :( I can't really blame the machine for either one, both were my fault. I was practicing 2nd gear starts and I was having problems. Come to find out I was a little rich on the jetting. :rolleyes: Any way as I dropped the hammer and dumped the clutch, the tranny made a ungodly noise. I took it apart right away and found both the input and output gears for 2nd were broke. So I replaced them. The next weekend I was riding, not real hard, just playing around. I lost 2nd again! :grr I talked with a guy that does quite a few bike trannies. He said you can't put in enough parts in a tranny. After a careful inspection I found the the shift fork was broke. I know it broke the first time, but I missed it when I took it apart.
It doesn't matter what you have, Honda or another brand if you abuse it, it WILL BREAK! :eek:
Not that it matters with 2nd gear trouble, but why are you starting in 2nd and wasting 1st gear? Shouldn't you gear up so 1st is a good gear to start in? After all, if first is too low for the gate, then what good is it doing you? JMO:confused:

oynot400
05-13-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Not that it matters with 2nd gear trouble, but why are you starting in 2nd and wasting 1st gear? Shouldn't you gear up so 1st is a good gear to start in? After all, if first is too low for the gate, then what good is it doing you? JMO:confused:

With the stock gearing, and 18" tamers on the rear. Is pretty close to the same as a 14t front sprocket. When doing that 1st gear goes pretty quick. Not only that if I can start in 2nd, and everyone else starts in first. That will give me an advantage off the line.
There is a couple tracks around here that are tight little tracks. So you don't need the wide gear ratio's. ;)

RIDER11X
05-13-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by oynot400
With the stock gearing, and 18" tamers on the rear. Is pretty close to the same as a 14t front sprocket. When doing that 1st gear goes pretty quick. Not only that if I can start in 2nd, and everyone else starts in first. That will give me an advantage off the line.
There is a couple tracks around here that are tight little tracks. So you don't need the wide gear ratio's. ;)

:eek: Oh, I see.:)

Sick0
05-13-2003, 07:50 AM
When I race I almost always start in second.

nastynotchback1
05-13-2003, 12:13 PM
got it to the shop and they said i knocked some cogs off of second gear.should get it back next week.