PDA

View Full Version : Burgard Anit-Vibe Steering stem?

DESDAK4
05-10-2003, 02:29 PM
I have heard good and bad about this stem so, I would like to know if anyone knows if the few problems people here have had are fixed and if this stem is worth owning. It is the best value in the after market stem area at 175 but I would like it to work right the first time.

Also is the guy that sells them on ebay the the owner or someone else selling there products and has anyone bought one from ebay?

Thanks for any and all help,

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Pappy
05-10-2003, 02:39 PM
yzroostinya had a problem with the stem....where it hits the steering stop. burgard redesigned the stem because of his complaint. the new design is alot better IMO then his old one and there shouldnt be any more issues. if you do order one....get atleast a +1

DESDAK4
05-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Will a +1 effect my cables and break lines at all? I have renthal 400ex bend bars.

Thanks Pappy

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Pappy
05-10-2003, 04:21 PM
the +1 shouldnt pose you any troubles. some minor adjustments and youll be set to go tear it up:macho

DESDAK4
05-10-2003, 06:33 PM
What kind of adjustments and what not will I be looking at. I am going to try and order this thing from them on ebay with my first race ever coming this next saturday so i can not afford any trouble. Do you know by any chance if the ones on ebay are updated too or what?

Thanks Again

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Pappy
05-11-2003, 12:18 AM
i wish i could tell you if the ones on ebay are the updates. i wouldnt rush it and order it direct.

the only adjustments will be the bar angle..clucth/brake lever angle etc. nothing major:)

BadA$$440
05-11-2003, 07:54 AM
i got mine off of ebay not to long ago. It bolted up perfectly, no complaints here. I even rolled it a couple times an it hasnt bent yet. I didnt have to adjust really anything, just the levers and stuff like pappy said

Sick0
05-11-2003, 10:28 AM
REDRIDER86- has one. it looks like a nice stem for the money. I don't see why there would any problem with it.

DESDAK4
05-11-2003, 12:33 PM
BAD*****440,

Did you get a +1? And you say you just had to do what pappy said, what bars do you run? I think my last question is, is +1 going to actually help a guy that is only 5' 9". Sorry to sound so worried or what ever I just need everything to fit the first time like all of you.

Thanks again guys.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

remlapr
05-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Pretty sure most people go to the +1's so they can run crossbar-less bars like T2's in motocross bends like cr. If you have 400ex bend bars and are going to stay with them and are only 5-9 you may want to get the standard length. Although a buddy I ride with told me that "standard" length aftermarket anti-vibe stems are actually about 1" taller because of the anti-vibe columns, so a +1 anti-vibe would actually be about +2. He had a plus one anti-vibe roll and that mofo was serious tall...

Pappy
05-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Although a buddy I ride with told me that "standard" length aftermarket anti-vibe stems are actually about 1" taller because of the anti-vibe columns, so a +1 anti-vibe would actually be about +2.

not what ive seen...the stock length anti vibes rub into the plastic and gas tank...burgard does...same with LSR. thats why i suggested +1 on a aftermarket stem with anti vibe

DESDAK4
05-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Cool thanks guys. I am going to try and call Burgard tomorrow.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Sick0
05-11-2003, 01:42 PM
I don't know how tall my steering stem is but with protapers it sits pretty low. I like it low. I'm also 6'4"

BadA$$440
05-11-2003, 02:01 PM
yes, i got the +1 anti-vibe. And i am running Tag T2 Cr-Low's and it feels pretty comfortable but i might get the cr-high's. I am about 5' 7''

DESDAK4
05-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Cool so it sounds like all my cables and all should be no problem so i think I will get the +1. Is there any secrets I should know about making my cables fit properly ( they are all stock ).

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Pappy
05-11-2003, 03:34 PM
nope...just make sure all the controls function properly and reset thier angles if necassary

DESDAK4
05-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Yeah, everything on my bike works perfect as you can tell by how I worry about just this stem. I do it with everything it all has to be perfect in my eyes or I just continue to worry. My wife hates it:D

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Dave400ex
05-11-2003, 04:24 PM
I got an Arens standard length stem and it is a little taller then stock because of the anti-vibe clamp...

Pappy
05-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I got an Arens standard length stem and it is a little taller then stock because of the anti-vibe clamp...

are you measuring the stem ...or the stem and clamp together

Dave400ex
05-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Stem and Clamp together. When I had my stock and the Arens side by side they were the same, but with the Anti-Vibe clamp setup it is a little bit taller which I like...

Pappy
05-11-2003, 04:35 PM
well they are all a bit taller (bar hieght) with an anti vibe. the trouble most people run into is that inorder for the stem to be stock length the tube that holds the bushings will nick the plastic or gas tank. IMO it should be made to clear the affected area even if that means its a +1/4 inch stem:p

DESDAK4
05-12-2003, 03:34 AM
Any other opinions out there?

Jay
USAF
AMMO

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 04:00 AM
about 120 hours or so

still straight

i am running a +1 up + forward:devil

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 04:01 AM
s

DESDAK4
05-12-2003, 04:06 AM
And you had no cable problems or anything like that. Did you get yours off ebay or from Burgard cycle? The reason I am worried about the cables so much is the first set of bars I bought were high bars or something like that but, the brake lines mostly just were too short to run them.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 04:21 AM
I have the bars on from my yz 250 so there really low to begin with(doug henry pro tapers)

i have +2 brake lines because I bought the wrong length steel braided. otherwise the stock clutch and throttle have had no probs with

running a hydro clutch now that has a longer line included in the kit because it is routed differant from stock

DESDAK4
05-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Well I guess all I can do is try it. So did you get yours from EBAY?

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadTrix6
05-12-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
not what ive seen...the stock length anti vibes rub into the plastic and gas tank...burgard does...same with LSR. thats why i suggested +1 on a aftermarket stem with anti vibe

+1 for MX ??? anyone run this ? and where talking +1 taller not fwd right ?

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 06:31 AM
No I called direct. Izzy is the guys name. I had emailed him several times with no response. I then called and ordered the stem. after ordering it i emailed to see if i could do a ebay transaction so I would have the feedback and have something to go against in case there was a problem. i had never heard of burgard and this was my first time dealing with them.

I was weary because he never replied to my emails(prob about 6-7) he told me i would have the stem in a few days and it took like 1.5 weeks. I would call and he would say he was out of the shop and would give me a tracking number later. After like the 5th day of saying it already left he finally gave me a tracking number and it had just left that night. NY is one day ship for me, 2 days max.

so already this guy was not to ohot in my book. if your delayed and you have been busy just say so. dont give me the run around. anyhow i got the stem and the box said +1 only not +1 +1. I was weary but I saw the bar mount was offset so i knew it was ok. i then installed the stem and before hand looked at the mounts and were the tie rods mount. the holes were 1/8 father apart which pissed me off and 1/8 back. This is actually better not worse. it actually allows the wheel to turn more on the outside and SLIGHTY less on the outside and helps uo to steer quicker. I thought this was wrong and got all pissed off.

THE MAIN prob was that the stop was 1/2 the thickness of the stock stem and that it made contact with the frame too late and the wheels would hit the a- arms. I wrote a big post about the whole deal and was pretty pissed about it. I spoke with Izzy about it a few times and he sent me a new improved stem free of charge. the stop is twice as thick now and it stops where it is supposed too.

i have been running it since with no probs and i can say that it is worth the 193 i paid shipped.

my main prob was he did not communicate with me very well and gave me the run around initially.

PAPPY knows this guy personally and reccomends his stuff. the guy fixed the prob i had and got me a stem for free. he said i would have it overnigth and it took some time(like 2 weeks) we were having SERIOUS ice storms at the time and i had a stem to use(the f-ed one) so i really didnt care. i just wanted what i paid for.

to me it was obvious the stops were too this and too late. Why would you sell that? did he ever test it himself or did he just weld up soem stuff and sell it?

the guy makes a bunch of stuff at awesome prices and alot of people run his stuff with no probs. so make your decision from that.

Pappy was able to deal with him in person and that changes alot of things

I had no idea who this guy was and he didnt want to do the whole ebay feedback thing so I really thought i was getting screwed. in the end I got what i wanted. thats what matters

i feel he has fixed the prob and he will help you out if you have a prob

here is a pic of the bad stem and you can see the stop differance
the stem is flush in this pic

[/end rant]

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 06:32 AM
no, +1 taller and +1 forward

xc/mx

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 06:33 AM
the bottom of the new stems are twice as thick and it has held up great.

I have bent two tie rods with no stem probs

DESDAK4
05-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Well guys thanks for all the help. I jsut got off the phone with Burgard Cycle and my new +1 stem should be here next week as they are out and have to make more. Again thanks to everyone for your help.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 07:29 AM
let me know how it turns out

DESDAK4
05-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Well I hope it turns out well. They have to put some together and what not so he said it probably wouldn't be here until next thursday or friday but he said he would do everything he could to get it here by wednesday for my 5 day weekend riding trip. It looks like I may be putting it on at the campsite:D

Jay
USAF
AMMO

remlapr
05-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Good info as always....

Dave400ex
05-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Yeah let us know how it works out and how you like the +1 better. I like having my bars a little higher...

BadA$$440
05-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
Well I hope it turns out well. They have to put some together and what not so he said it probably wouldn't be here until next thursday or friday but he said he would do everything he could to get it here by wednesday for my 5 day weekend riding trip. It looks like I may be putting it on at the campsite:D

Jay
USAF
AMMO

if you have the right tools, it should take you 10-15 min to swap stems.

YZROOSTINYA
05-12-2003, 11:43 PM
remeber that you may need to adjust your tie rods also

10 mm 14mm and 17mm or is it a 19mm ???

I am sure you will be happy.

Good welds and PC(pappy may PC his stuff????)

Like I said just bad communication initially.

He has a bunch of differant stuff at great prices(subframes,beadlocks, a-arms....)

DESDAK4
05-13-2003, 02:09 AM
It should work out good as long as my lines reach. I carry a full tool set and my lift with me on camoing trips.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 02:35 AM
"camoing"

Is this some new age thing I don't want to know about:D

DESDAK4
05-13-2003, 02:58 AM
That is top secret Air Force stuff:confused: No really, I just got up late today and you know how things can go in a day that didn't even start out right.

Camping:D

Jay
USAF
AMMO

ridered86
05-13-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Sick0
REDRIDER86- has one. it looks like a nice stem for the money. I don't see why there would any problem with it.

it WAS a kick arse stem until 4 flips in 4th ga=ear pinned turned it into a pretzel, great quality though such a nice stem, im buyin another, and no the +1 does not affect any cables at all. i also prefer the +1 to because it allows me to use the cr low bend bars, the lower the bend on your bars the less likely you are to bend em.

RIjon
05-13-2003, 07:12 AM
You guys say $175 but on here http://www.qis.net/~harlen/burgard/400EX.html it says $200

Did the price Go up ?:confused:

YZROOSTINYA
05-13-2003, 07:30 AM
might be cheaper on ebay

they didn't have a website when i bought mine

maybe exriders discount?

DESDAK4
05-13-2003, 07:37 AM
If you call the number given on ebay, you will find that you get a hold of Burgard cycle. That is what I did and my stem was 183 shipped.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

RIjon
05-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks

muff
05-13-2003, 08:01 AM
yea def. get the +1 stem, my standard height barely hits the gas tank, and thats without the gas tank cover on :ermm:

mamaknothead
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
We are running a 90 mod and we are looking at running one of these stems . Has anyone used on of these on a 90 mod ? Also we are going to run the JD performance +2 A arms do I need to let them know this when I order my stem or are they all the same stock lenght or plus 2?

Pappy
03-25-2006, 08:46 PM
i have a few here if you'd like to know measurements. As far as the tie rod plate, it will be the same and will work with JD arms etc.

mamaknothead
03-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks I was unsure as I am in the process of rebuilding my sons 90 mod and I need to order him a new stem . I don't think I will have any problem with my tie rods I was just unsure about the flag length on the stem for this front end .:blah:

JW450R1
03-26-2006, 04:18 AM
i just put one on my buddies quad.stock one does hit the gas tank with-out the cover on.we took it back and got a +1. he loves it.it feels a lot better being +1 then over all stock.