PDA

View Full Version : Drag raced my quad at the strip last night

Red00Honda400EX
05-10-2003, 01:53 PM
The quads were running in the 8th mile last night at a mid night madness event deal. I was running 18" hoosier tires on back and stockers on front along with the mods in my sig. I found out a few tips to get some better times and I ordered a K&N filter tonight (still running the 3 year old stock filter). I won the event against a piped and who knows what else banshee the thing was mean but I showed him what was up and taught him what the 400ex was all about (he red lighted he woulda spanked me hard core :) ) ran a best of a 9.8@66mph not to shabby for my first time at the track with it and the 18" tires I was banging the rev limiter in 5th about 50-60 feet before the finish line. Anyway it was a lot of fun and I won a trophy.

Oh yeah baby

http://www.thebestgen.com/images/P1010016.JPG

http://www.thebestgen.com/images/P1010017.JPG

http://www.thebestgen.com/images/P1010019.JPG

exrider123
05-10-2003, 01:58 PM
congrats on the win any future mods in mind?

blondie69
05-10-2003, 01:59 PM
do u mean 8 mile detroit or wherever it is?? (i'm jus thinkin the movie)

but thats a really kool trophey:eek2: its really shiny n sparkly, lol

05-10-2003, 02:01 PM
we get the4 same 1st place trophies just about up here

Red00Honda400EX
05-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by exrider123
congrats on the win any future mods in mind?

Well that depends, I have a 2002 ws6 thats in the shop becoming a mid 11 second street car, and a 2002 GMC HD that requires a car payment:( but I ordered a filter to get rid of the crappy stock one finally and I ran at the track with my air box lid on (not that I know it will make any difference or not). My goal is to get 9.5 or faster and a 1.8 60ft time. I may buy a carb later on but I think I can achieve that with the suspension tricks a few of the road bike guys taught me. I will see, I'm going again this friday.

Glow Plug
05-10-2003, 02:44 PM
sweet man, hope you win more prises ! :D

Doibugu2
05-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Thats cool. Congrats Man. Take some pics next time.

zzbudzz
05-10-2003, 07:29 PM
damn ,thats cool drag racing on pavement i live 15 minutes from a drag strip .hardly every go unless the motocross is open there....i go there as much as i can.

markeg192
05-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Congrats! WAs it bracket racing? We do aome of it around here but got rained out this week.

Red00Honda400EX
05-11-2003, 06:27 PM
They just took the 2 fastest quads of the night and put them in the finals and then they ran. Well there were only 3 quads there that night hopefully more will be there this friday. The other quad was my buddy on a z400 he ran a 10 flat. Not to shabby. I should be faster this friday i'll have to post some times. Anyone else have times?

RuffRyder400ex
05-12-2003, 12:49 AM
congrats. that must be fun i want to try to drag on my quad just for fun

markeg192
05-12-2003, 03:55 PM
LAst year mine was a 416 and I was running over 70 mph at 9.2. My Buddy is 120lbs and better with a clutch and he could run over 73 at 8.8secs. This year it's a 440 and I can't get it over 67 mph at 9.5.
Of course I run lawnmower tires and replace the shocks with square tubing. That lets you pin it off the line without wheelying. I hope to have an FCR soon.

Nausty
05-12-2003, 05:27 PM
lol, congrats. I'd like to have a hour at a strip just to do wheelies.

Red00Honda400EX
05-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
LAst year mine was a 416 and I was running over 70 mph at 9.2. My Buddy is 120lbs and better with a clutch and he could run over 73 at 8.8secs. This year it's a 440 and I can't get it over 67 mph at 9.5.
Of course I run lawnmower tires and replace the shocks with square tubing. That lets you pin it off the line without wheelying. I hope to have an FCR soon.

I'm putting my stock front shocks on this time and using tie downs to crank both front and back socks all the way down to do the poor mans lowering kit to hopefully help on the launch. What size tires were you running? The 18" tires made me tap the rev limiter about 50ft before the finish line. I ran 75 next to a truck with my 20" shredders on but really don't want to run them at the track. I was thinking of dropping a tooth on my rear sprocket and see what that does for me.

JustRace
05-12-2003, 06:13 PM
I only live like 10 miles from McBrides. I haven't checked it out but if i don't have anything going on this friday maybe i will show up.

Good job on the trophy

Red00Honda400EX
05-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by JustRace
I only live like 10 miles from McBrides. I haven't checked it out but if i don't have anything going on this friday maybe i will show up.

Good job on the trophy

You should come down to MidMichigan Motorplex and show me up. :p

JustRace
05-12-2003, 06:36 PM
I have plans this friday, but they may fall apart. So you gonna be there this friday? If i come i can probably get 2 other banshees to come with me.

Red00Honda400EX
05-12-2003, 07:21 PM
I'll be there again. I gotta try and break this 9.5 without adding any mods. If I can't I may just have to break down and buy a carb.

JustRace
05-13-2003, 04:31 AM
There any requirements for running at the track? I have a tether kill switch, i think i read you need the break light if you run after dark. I don't have the break light on. lol

Red00Honda400EX
05-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Rules? What the hell are those things?;) Really they don't check anything the guy didn't even look over my quad or anything I went up to tech without a shirt, helmet, or anything else on and he just wrote my number on my quad and I turned my stuff in and left. When I called to find out requirements the lady told me I needed a leather jacket and boots which I brought and wore and I had no troubles all night. I don't have a tether and I didn't run with my lights on and I ran till midnight so.

RoadkillerRyan
05-13-2003, 08:59 AM
what do quads usaually get 1/4 mile? what about a stock or semi sock 400ex?

JustRace
05-13-2003, 09:04 AM
A friend of a friend (don't you love that type of stuff. lol) saw you race there last friday. I was talking to my friend and told him a guy off of EXriders won last friday and he was like yeah but i heard the banshee got a bad start. lol

Some of my friends may be going this friday, not sure if i am yet or not.

05-13-2003, 09:06 AM
JustRace you gonna meet your buddy chadexer there?????:eek: LMFAO

JustRace
05-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Bring it Chadexer. lol Doesn't mean i'll race him with my 4-wheeler. lol I'm not that stupid.

Red00Honda400EX
05-13-2003, 09:15 AM
A friend of a friend (don't you love that type of stuff. lol) saw you race there last friday. I was talking to my friend and told him a guy off of EXriders won last friday and he was like yeah but i heard the banshee got a bad start. lol

Some of my friends may be going this friday, not sure if i am yet or not.

Read my original post it explains why I won :blah But hey who can complain a win is a win in my book. :D I hope I see ya out there be sure to say hi if you spot a big white truck with Honda Racing in the back window thats me.

JustRace
05-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Oh i know what happened. I laughed at my friend when he said banshee had a bad start. I told him he redlighted.

carbon300
05-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Redhonda, you have a WS6? There pretty sweet cars. Are you over on LS1.com ?? I'm carfreak there.

Red00Honda400EX
05-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by carbon300
Redhonda, you have a WS6? There pretty sweet cars. Are you over on LS1.com ?? I'm carfreak there.

Yeah my screen name on ls1.com is BLK85IROC (I used to have a black 85 IROC but sold it to buy the ws6) Check out www.thebestgen.com its a pretty cool website geard towards cars.

JustRace I tried to reply in a PM but it was to long so here is what I wrote.

I assume you know how to get there so I'll skip that part. When you roll in the lady is going to ask you how many racers how many watchers. You HAVE to tell her how many racers are going to be racing or else you'll be dicked me honest and pay the extra money because you get a little card you need to fill out when you race and at the tech inspection they give you a number which is your number for the entire night and if you win you need to tell the guy the number to claim your trophy. Well get your cards fill them out thats pretty easy. Then take the card and your quad over to tech and give him the card and he will tell you what to do. If you don't know where tech is as you probably don't the lady where you pay to get in will tell you where to go. After you are all said and done and ready to race just go sit in the bleachers for a little while (I said I was going to do this but I just raced as soon as I pulled in) your lane assignment is going to be lane 1 stay there everytime you are going to race. If you don't plan on racing put your quad somewhere safe. When you get in line a guy will tell you to pull ahead, when you pull ahead just pull up to a yellow line you will see about 50 ft behind the guys getting ready to race. When the lights start to count down you can pull up and when they take off you can DRIVE AROUND the burn out box and wait for the guy to tell you to spin your tires (don't spin your stock tires, I have TT tires and I spin them to spin the dirt off them but I don't care if they wear out or not) Just pull up to a little box on the track you will see it, its a wooden box with 2 little black eye looking things below it. You want to roll into it fairly slow and watch the yellow lights. The first light is a pre-staged light, pre stage and if you're racing someone else let them pre-stage too. After you're both pre-staged go ahead and stage up. You will have about 5 seconds and all the ambers will light up and then green will. As soon as you see the amber lights start to flash you're going to want to go if you are actually goign to be serious abotu racing. I wait till I see the green come on then go. We race the 8th mile you so you should be about tapped out when the finish line comes up. The finish has some orange road cones at it once you cross it the board on your side should turn on and display your time and speed you can then slow down and you're going to want to take the first exit which is right about at the big boards. If you don't see it the first time no big deal take the next one and then look for it so you can spot it and know where to turn off the 2nd time. Well thats abotu all I can think about. You will get the hang of it when you're there its nothing special. EVERYONE is there for there first time at least once. If you don't understand something or you have a question ask one of the officials they are there to help you out and they won't care if you need something. Make sure everyone racing has a leather jacket, pants, boots, a helmet, and gloves just incase they actually check this time. Anymore questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Justin

JustRace
05-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks a lot. No matter what i'm coming. If i take the EX my dad is thinking about driving my 85 Z28 up to see what that runs.

So i'll atleast be showing up.

Red00Honda400EX
05-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks a lot. No matter what i'm coming. If i take the EX my dad is thinking about driving my 85 Z28 up to see what that runs.

So i'll atleast be showing up.

Cool I'll see ya there. I'll be with a yellow Z400, a banshee, and then my 400ex. I drive a 2002HD thats white and says Honda Racing in the back window. I'll be pulling a 20ft trailer so make sure you stop and say hi. :cool:

JustRace
05-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Ok i'll either be driving my red 85 Z28 or my S10 and have the EX. What time you guys getting there?

Red00Honda400EX
05-13-2003, 03:30 PM
it starts at 7 but last time I was late I didn't get there till 8. I'm planning on being there at 7 this time hopefully I am. I'd tell ya to call me but cells phones don't work worth a crap at the track. It won't be hard to find me I usually park out and away from everyone else. And not to may quads are there ;)

JustRace
05-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Yeah cells are crap in this area. My cell doesn't even work from my house. lol There is about a 8 square mile dead spot. Alltell, Nextell, Verizion, none of them work.

I'll be there for sure, since its by my house i'm just gonna get there early.

ChadEXer
05-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Bring it Chadexer. lol Doesn't mean i'll race him with my 4-wheeler. lol I'm not that stupid. I think you would have a pretty good chance! Mine has no suspension on it right now! That should be fixed by the end of the week,,,,hopefully!