PDA

View Full Version : Top End Rebuild! Suggestions or Tips please?

96FMF300EX
05-10-2003, 02:42 AM
I got a new piston for my 96 300 and ive never done it before and i was wondering if any of you have some tips or techniques and suggestion on how to do it just lookin for some opinions and some guidence really. thanks

RideRed400StYlE
05-10-2003, 05:03 AM
its really easy. if its your first time just buy a repair manual, it will walk you right through. it isnt hard at all

DeCap27
05-10-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by RideRed400StYlE
its really easy. if its your first time just buy a repair manual, it will walk you right through. it isnt hard at all

ya its easy but there is more too it then u think .IF i was u i would just take it to a pro and let him do it...

second prowd owner of a
89 fully restored LT500R

kc 300EX
05-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Its not that hard at all.
I did mine this past september for the first time ever, for my quad and me.
I used an old issue of DirtWheels as a guide, they had good instructions on rebuilding the 300EX.
Take your time and you wont have a problem. Get yourself a torque wrench and some good high temp silicone. When youre putting it back together, use LOTS of lube! Adjust youre valves

05-10-2003, 01:30 PM
have fun lol...:D

KY Woods Rider
05-11-2003, 09:15 AM
The best thing to do is buy a service manual for your quad, because it will show you the correct order in which to remove and reinstall the parts and what the various bolts and nuts should be torqued to.

The thing that I see people screw up most often is also one of the easiest things to avoid if you know about it ahead of time. When you put the cam and cam sprocket back on, it must be aligned a certain way (slash marks align with top of head) to get the timing correct. When you are putting the cam sprocket back on, you will still have the cam chain tensioner removed. So when you put the sprocket on, run something through the cam chain tensioner hole to keep tension on the cam chain and make sure the sprocket is still aligned correctly when pressure is applied. Although you should catch your mistake after you put the tensioner back in, many people forget to put pressure on the chain when installing the cam sprocket and chain, and then they also forget to recheck it after they put the tensioner back in. The result is a quad that is impossible to ride even if you can get it to start (they usually will with a high compression piston), and one of the worst sounding/running engines you've ever heard.

When you get done, turn the motor over by hand a couple times to make sure everything is okay before firing it up.

A four stroke motor rebuild intimidates a lot of people, but it really isn't that hard, especially if you have a service manual to guide you.