PDA

View Full Version : fried starter solenoid???

Paul400ex2002
05-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Ok, some of you know i'm having battery troubles, so we tried getting my quad to start with the battery out of my dads foreman... K i hooked it up, turn on the key, neutral light comes on, and i push the starter and CLICK, it doesn't start and neutral light turns off... i checked the fuse right next to the battery and it's still good.. wtf did i do?:rolleyes:

AlaskaSpeed
05-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Paul400ex2002
Ok, some of you know i'm having battery troubles, so we tried getting my quad to start with the battery out of my dads foreman... K i hooked it up, turn on the key, neutral light comes on, and i push the starter and CLICK, it doesn't start and neutral light turns off... i checked the fuse right next to the battery and it's still good.. wtf did i do?:rolleyes:

sounds like your battery voltage isn't high enough to fire off the ECU, does the fuel pump prime?

swamprider7
05-09-2003, 05:40 PM
I don't think 400ex's have fuel pumps....:huh Geez you cannondale riders....lol :D

Paul400ex2002
05-09-2003, 05:57 PM
anybody else??? come one guys, i wanna ride on sunday, can you just jump start it on the wires on the solenoid?

Dune Surfer
05-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Push start it.:D

White_Knuckles
05-09-2003, 07:17 PM
The "click" is a good thing and may eliminate the solenoid. When the starter button is pressed the solenoid clicks and as a relay transfers the battery power to the starter motor through a heavy wire. Turn on the headlight and hit the button, if the lamp dims down the starter may be pulling all the current yet not rotating. If the lamp remains bright the solenoid is not pulling in and transfering power like a bad internal solenoid contact. Check all connections and if still isolating you may jumper or "hot wire" the starter by using a heavy wire (like an automotive jumper cable) directly from battery positive to the starter (heavy wire post) connection. Just touch it and there should be a light spark flash and the starter should rotate. If it really arcs or sparks upon contact the starter is grounded out and needs attention. Starters (DC motors) have brushes and can wear out and fail. Wear a glove and never clip the jumper to the starter connection just touch it. If the starter spins go back to the solenoid as suspect and connections including frame ground points. Don't overlook fuse and fuse holder condition. If this doesn't make sense ask for assistance.

05-10-2003, 04:06 AM
mine was the exact same way.....your battery is dead. Charge her up overnight on a 12 volt.

phatswinn
05-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
mine was the exact same way.....your battery is dead. Charge her up overnight on a 12 volt.

modracer5
05-10-2003, 08:35 AM
easy way to figure your problem out.....take a short piece of wire and jump from one side of you solenoid to the other ,just touch them with the key on and see if it tries to start or you can use a screw driver for the same effect. i would bet that your connections are dirty on the cable ends where they meet the battery and solenoid. that is the only problem like that that i have had from mine. clean them with wire brush and hae fun sunday.

MichaelS693
05-10-2003, 05:19 PM
what he^ said

cheetah
05-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Push start it.:D

Paul400ex2002
05-11-2003, 10:20 AM
guys... thanks for the help, i guess it just didn't like the battery out of my dads foreman... we stuck a battery out of a kasea 250 in it and it started right up. It's the EXACT same size as a 400ex battery but it's more powerful.

PHIL_B54
05-11-2003, 12:59 PM
lucky you, a new one thru honda is like $60

i have one from a lawnmower or boat motor in mine right now $8