PDA

View Full Version : In the market for new sport quad. Help me out!

wilson10
05-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Ok i have posted this on a few other message boards with minimal responses....so I thought I would trry it here....where TRUE EXriders hang out

I am in the market for a quad........really like the Z's and KFX's........BUT.....I ran across a buddy of mine selling his 99 400EX ....He wants $2500. Does this sound about right?? here is a copy of what his email said it would include.
-99 400EX about 30 hours (some have said that is very low and I agree but I have asked him multiple times aboiut it and he said actually it may be lower) on it. Oil changed roughly every 8 hours of run time. Orange Maier race cut plastic. Renthal 400ex bend bars. Web cam, don't remember the specs, but it's a torque monster. DG steel nerf bars. Lonestar +2 swingarm. K&N jet kit. Uni air filter. White Bros E-series Promeg silencer and header.
Shoei X-large VFX-R Pro Circuit helmet. Bieffe boots. MSR orange white and blue System X pants, jersey chest protector, and gloves. MSR Rage kidney belt. Scott 89 goggles.

The helmet and boots might not fit so I will just sell them and get something else........SO WHAT do you think? I have cash to put down on a new one....still will have to fianace a chunk of it. I am so lost. I went to Z400central and of course most everyone there loves the Z, but I went to the problem section and seems to be a fair amount of problems with it (frame, axles mainly) I LOVE the idea of reverse....( I had a Blaster years ago and hated no reverse even though it was easy to move) So if you guys could....PLEASE point me the right direction here.Don't plan to race it allthough may visit a few local MX practice tracks for fun. Will mostly be trails ect...I don't need to make a big mistake and buy something I shouldn't! Here are a few pics of it. they are low quality b/c my buddy is in Korea ( military) and his dad doesn't know how to use the dig cam.
http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/97/97724/folders/75148/489645tn400EX(1).jpg

http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/97/97724/folders/75148/489649tn400EX(2).jpg
http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/97/97724/folders/75148/489653tn400ex-31303-

Honda4trax250x
05-09-2003, 02:00 PM
sounds like a great one to me!

wilson10
05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Try this link.....................it has a few pics on my webpage!! sorry for the hassle.

99 400EX pics (http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=75148&groupid=97724&folderview=thumbs&ck=)

jmoney45
05-09-2003, 02:05 PM
From what I can see and what you said, it sounds like a great deal to me. It looks to be in real good shape and since he's your buddy you know if he treats his machines well. I say go for the EX. They are not as slow as some people say, and through the woods or on a track they really shine. Plus you can beat the snot out of them and they come back for more. :D

Rip_Tear
05-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Sounds good, but only 30 hours on a 99 400ex, I highly doubt it.

Honda4trax250x
05-09-2003, 02:06 PM
you would have to be crazy to pass this one up:eek2:

wilson10
05-09-2003, 02:15 PM
he is a good friend allthough I only met him trhough the military...I know he has taken care of it....even it had 100 hrs i still think it would be a good deal (don't you??) Reason I know its low...is he bought it used from his neighbor and that guy NEVER rode it but a few time a month. After he got it (2001 or so) he rode it some and then he went over the bars and broke his arm (so no riding for awhile) after that quad was at his parent in KY while he was in MD and only got to ride it occasionaly and he has now been in Korea for over 8 months and it has sat that whole time. So may be low as he says? BTW look at the replies so far...I knew i would get help here...just another reason to buy it b/c you guys alone would be an assset ;)

kj400
05-09-2003, 02:46 PM
if you dont i will my wife rides mine more than her blaster. look at like this 2500 for the bike and even if the motor was bad you can rebuild for less than 500 so your still less then 3000. so your getting a good deal anyway you look at it.

KY Woods Rider
05-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Well, it certainly sounds like a good deal. However, any time something sounds like a good deal I begin to wonder why, but sometimes you just get lucky and truly find a good deal.

My advice is to go look at it, ride it, and see what you think. You can usually tell just by looking whether or not it has been taken care of, or if it has been run hard and put up wet. Although all older model quads will start getting rough looking in appearance at some point, other simple things can clue you in on whether or not it has been taken care of (oil, air filter, chain, etc). If it has dirty, black oil in it, the air filter is covered in dirt, and the chain is rusted and hasn't been lubed, then it probably hasn't been cared for.

If everything checks out to your satisfaction, then buy it before somebody else does.

As for the Z versus EX issue, my opinion is more than a bit biased, but I'll give it to you as honestly as I can. While the Z is *slightly* faster overall in stock form, it doesn't have anything over the EX for woods and trails. The best part of an EX for woods and trails, is that it has more low-end torque than most motors of its size, and I don't think the high revving and tire spinning Z can match it in tight woods (but it can on the straight stretches).

exriderdude
05-09-2003, 03:17 PM
go for the EX dude, if its truly as good as it sounds then its one hek of a deal:macho

ridered86
05-09-2003, 03:27 PM
go for the 400ex, i wish they were that cheap when i bought mine, i got mine at the height of the 400ex era right before the z-400 came out and lets just say i paid a hella lot more than i wish to say:D

wilson10
05-09-2003, 06:23 PM
thanks guys for all the input!! Once I get back to Ohio I plan to go see it. The guys dad is susposed to meet me half way......I just hate for 2 of us to have to make a worthless trip. if he agrees to still meet me and if I don't like and don't have to buy it I will do it! I am taking along my brother in-law to look at with me. he knows alot and used to race MX back in the day. He will give a good one over too!

kj400- thats a good point that i never really thought about. The guys dad is susposed to try and take some better pics and close ups of eveything this weekend. hopefully he gets them done soon.

CHAUNCY
05-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me:)

honda400exrider
05-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Yeah good luck man! Im glad you chose Honda;) Good choice!

wb300ex
05-10-2003, 03:48 AM
go for the 400 it sound like a winner!!!:p go for it

SeaN

Dune Surfer
05-10-2003, 04:35 AM
While I think the Z is a more modern design. I love my EX. I would jump on an EX for $2500. Sounds like you found a great deal. Buy it!!!

Glow Plug
05-10-2003, 04:41 AM
400EX all the way dude, for 2800 with those mod's it's a heck of a deal, even if it need a little bit of work then it's still a better deal than you would find anywheres else :D

wilson10
05-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Its been awhile since the last post and maybe I got all the replies I will, but I just got back to Ohio and PLAN to go look at and possibly buy this quad. Its a long drive (atleast 6 hrs) but I think if its as nice as he says it will be worth it. So with that said...anymore opinions? Thanks guys!

TeamC&GRacer
05-20-2003, 12:49 AM
yeah, a 400ex is nice, but i think you would turn more heads with a lt80! :blah :macho :D

wilson10
05-20-2003, 04:35 AM
LOL!!!!!!! Well if you saw my out of shape fat ***** you would know I would probably break that lil thing LMAO!!! ;) Anyhow like I said we are leaving Thursday morning so if it all checks out then I will get some more pics when I get home for all to see (better then the ones he sent me) Oh an I was re-reading some of the older posts and someone said "30hrs i highly doubt it" that may be true and as I said even if it is TRUELY more still is a good deal I think...besides 1 more thing that made me think it is low...those are stock original tires!!!!!!! Doesn't matter though...making the trip and will soon know what shape its in! Thanks again to ALL that replied and I will be on here quite often (even though where I moved back to has no FN broadband and its KILLING me)

wilson10
05-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Thought I would give one more update and let this thread die for good. Should have made this post last week but i have been busy riding ;) It was in better shape then described. I almost wanted to load and drive away as fast as I could b/c I couldn't believe the shape it was in and the price he was asking!!! Minor gripes..........seat is still red and plastic is aftermarket orange. Tires have some life left to them (they are the originals) and will need replaced b4 too long. Kill switch was not hooked up (complete now) and i need to put on the spark arrestor and disks (not sure how many to use...any help?) and the longer screws to put disks in are missing. Wow what complaints huh LOL. Runs like a champ and has TONS of low end grunt!! I couldn't be ANY happier! I saved about 4 grand by not getting a new one and to only have a new one looking like mine wear and tear wise after about a month or so LOL (oh and w/out the aftermarket stuff to boot) Now when my wife lets me order all the other goodies I want (new helmet and riding gear, tire package (where should I look for tires?) and a graphics kit with seat cover) I will be one VERY happy man! Oh yea and more time and places to RIDE!! :) Thanks for the advice to all that replied......I will post pics taken by me eventually!!!