PDA

View Full Version : 300ex wont start

MichaelS693
05-09-2003, 01:32 PM
my friend has a 300ex and it wont start.... we have tried everything.... we charged battery....he bought a new cylinoid cause that was messing up.... we went to the honda shop and they said it was the starter and to hit it and try to start it... well we did that and it didnt do anything.... it doersnt try to fire turn over or anything... can someone help us out?:eek2: :D

sprtrx300ex
05-09-2003, 01:38 PM
when u turn the key, does the nuetral light come on? Mine didn't. I had the same problem. Turned out to be a loose wire near the fuse.

MichaelS693
05-09-2003, 03:32 PM
yes all wires work it will not do anything... the lights dim when you hit the start button like the will go off then when you let off come back on... come on guys someone has to know how to fix this... its gettin really hot weather down here and me and my riding buddy are ready to go ride at the river/creek

96FMF300EX
05-10-2003, 02:30 AM
had the same problem. my solenoid would click everytime i hit the start button. But i would put it in gear and the move the back wheels maybe you have a dead sport in your starter. my brushes were bad so im gettin ready to replace those but thats what happened to mine hope that helps

05-10-2003, 02:42 AM
my guess is a mixture of the battery, spark plug, and solenoid...i am pretty sure that may be your problem...also may have a bad connection with one of your wires

330EXman
05-10-2003, 04:34 AM
if your lights dim when you hit the starter then obvisoussly there is something that is either not getting enough amperage and is draining everything out or you hooked wires up wrong and you have some back feeding going on

make sure your battery is fully charged i mean like a good whole night or something either that put jumpers on it

then turn the key on if nothing come on check your fuse might have blown it while wireing !
then check in order fromt the battery to the key but make sure you go in order ie: battery, solenoid, fuse, so on

check by using a tester light

the first thing i would do is hit the start button and hold it on then take your test light and stick it on the two terminals on th solenoid both should be getting power if not bridge the two termials with a screw driving or so on but make sure you know what you doing so you dont get shocked no matter what you should here the starter try to turn, if it doesnt that means you have a problem before the solenoid like battery or losse connections or bad ground so on

if everything is the way it should be then i would just say that your starter brushes are bad

hope to help ya

thanks jay @ JMS Racing

if you want me to help more email me at m13jason13@aol.com with some more detailed description of what is going on

White_Knuckles
05-10-2003, 05:20 AM
If the neutral or headlamp dims when you press the starter button the starter may be pulling all the current down but not rotating. Push start it and varify it will run. You can jump the solenoid or even bypass it with a automotive jumper cable from battery positive to the heavy wire post on the starter but just touch the terminal do not clamp on to it. The touch should spark and the starter should rotate. My guess is the starter has grounded out or developed a flat spot and it will really spark or arc when you tap the terminal. Disassemble the starter and inspect the brushes or have the dealer service it. If the starter spins over go back to the solenoid as it is the relay between the starter button and the battery to starter circuit. Wear a glove and be safe don't get in a hurry DC can bite.

MichaelS693
05-10-2003, 07:50 AM
thanks guys im gonna go over ther and inspect everything and make sure he did it all right becuase he has me workin on his bike instead of him!:D im sure we will have it working in no time.... ill get back and post results after i check everything... thanks again!:blah :bandit: