PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption in 400

Foxnake42
05-09-2003, 01:31 PM
I have an 02 400 with about 30 hours on er. I changed the oil bout 15 hours ago or so. I checked the oil today and there wasn't anything on the dipstick. So I went down to the Honda dealer and got service's opinion. He said that is it normal that the 400 takes oil. Well, it was down about a quart. Ummmmm. Normal?:chinese: :scary: :devious:

Rip_Tear
05-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Doesn't sound normal... How much oil did you put it in after the change?

KY Woods Rider
05-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Well, there are about 4 possibilities that I can think of.
#1 - You didn't put enough oil in when you changed it. After you changed the oil, did you start it up and let it idle for a few minutes then check the oil? With a dry sump motor (like the 400EX), you must add part of the oil, start it up and let it warm up and circulate, then add the rest of the oil until it gets to the full mark.
#2 - When you checked the oil today, you didn't let it warm up long enough before checking the oil. Did you let it idle for 5 minutes (10 minutes if below 50 degrees), then check the oil? If the engine isn't warm enough when you check it, the oil will check lower than it really is.
#3 - You've got a leak. Have you looked all over the motor for leaks? Check around all gaskets too, not just around the drain plugs and filter cover. If it was a quart low, then it should be pretty easy to spot that big of a leak.
#4 - The motor is burning oil. Is there smoke coming from the exhaust? If it is, then you have a motor problem (rings, piston, etc). If it used a quart in 15hrs, you should be able to easily see smoke from the exhaust.

While the dealer is correct in that all motors will use a bit of oil, it shouldn't be using that much. A quart in 15hrs of riding is quite a bit, even for a motor that is nearing rebuild time. During aggressive riding, my EX uses maybe 3-4 spoonfulls of oil between oil changes (18-20hrs).

Dune Surfer
05-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Mine burns oil. allways has. I will use a quart every weekend of hard riding.

RIDER11X
05-10-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider

#1 - You didn't put enough oil in when you changed it. After you changed the oil, did you start it up and let it idle for a few minutes then check the oil? With a dry sump motor (like the 400EX), you must add part of the oil, start it up and let it warm up and circulate, then add the rest of the oil until it gets to the full mark.
#2 - When you checked the oil today, you didn't let it warm up long enough before checking the oil. Did you let it idle for 5 minutes (10 minutes if below 50 degrees), then check the oil? If the engine isn't warm enough when you check it, the oil will check lower than it really is.
#3 - You've got a leak. Have you looked all over the motor for leaks? Check around all gaskets too, not just around the drain plugs and filter cover. If it was a quart low, then it should be pretty easy to spot that big of a leak.

Ditto! Check your oil lines too. Mine had a leak where the oil lines meet the side case, Because of a burr on the oil line casting. Some light dremel work and a flushing of the lines and I was set to go. New O-rings too!

franciscoluis
05-10-2003, 06:03 AM
my 00 400ex consumes about 1/4 quart after every 10 hours of hard riding, i do not see any smoke on the exhaust, and it have no leaks.
So i'm confused, is it normal or not??????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Foxnake42
05-10-2003, 12:09 PM
service manual said to put in 1.95 in. So I ended up putting in 2. Checked it all for leaks too. I have smelled the exhaust too and nothing out of the ordinary. Even when I rev it, I don't see anything. I do a lot of high second and third riding(whoops, fast trails, smaller jumping).

Dune Surfer
05-10-2003, 01:51 PM
I think it's normal

RIDER11X
05-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Did you do a good break in session, when the motor was new?
:rolleyes:

AAAirbooorn
05-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Ichanged my oil and filter and got the whole 1.95 quarts in o the first try.

proquad_20
05-11-2003, 01:01 PM
mine needs about half quart every two or three weekends. it didnt start doin that until i started ridin the livin krap out of it though:devious: i get the little puff now and then when i let off the gas but almost all the 4 strokes i see around are doing the same thing

MOFO
05-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
Well, there are about 4 possibilities that I can think of.
#4 - The motor is burning oil. Is there smoke coming from the exhaust? If it is, then you have a motor problem (rings, piston, etc). If it used a quart in 15hrs, you should be able to easily see smoke from the exhaust.

While the dealer is correct in that all motors will use a bit of oil, it shouldn't be using that much. A quart in 15hrs of riding is quite a bit, even for a motor that is nearing rebuild time. During aggressive riding, my EX uses maybe 3-4 spoonfulls of oil between oil changes (18-20hrs).

I vote for answer #2. I've seen mine do this, if you dont warm it up completely, you wont get a good reading.

RIDER11X
05-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you run a higher than stock rev limiter? No flame intended, just curious because the 400ex's that I've seen smoking have mostly all had increased rev limits.

Castor-426ex
05-11-2003, 07:40 PM
i run a wb rev box...but mines never smoked...or used oil...and i just went to a 426 a while back and still the same ....no oil loss yet but i change it every two weeks

05-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Foxnake42
service manual said to put in 1.95 in. So I ended up putting in 2. I think thats your problem right there. When i do an oil and filter change i put in abt 2 quarts and it reads almost full then i crank the engine and start it and then it gets through the engine and crankcase and everything and then the dipstick reads nothing so i add almost another half a quart and then it reads full on the dipstick. I think u needed to just put more oil in. I dunno why they say it takes 1.95 quarts:confused: i can put almost 2.5:huh

Foxnake42
05-12-2003, 09:15 AM
I still have another 3 or so years of warantee on it. I just want to know if someone else thinks I should bring it in.

sly400ex
05-13-2003, 06:17 AM
I would, mine was burning oil, I ended changing the rings and BAMMM, no more oil consumption!:D

QuadTrix6
05-13-2003, 10:08 AM
I still have another 3 or so years of warantee on it. I just want to know if someone else thinks I should bring it in.

no add more oil and take it from there

nojoke4stroke
05-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
no add more oil and take it from there
god i love this site......if youre burning a noticeable amount of oil you need new rings atleast and if you ride like me then a piston is a safe bet at that time too while youre in there.

Castor-426ex
05-18-2003, 03:07 PM
well oil consumption and burning oil are 2 diff things

Taco
05-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
well oil consumption and burning oil are 2 diff things
Castor please explain to me where the oil goes if it isnt leaking or if it isnt burning it???:confused:

monkeyboy
05-19-2003, 06:11 AM
howz bout u STFU fer a chang tacos:mad:

05-19-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy

I agree with monkeybutt on this one.....:devil

AtvMxRider
05-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy

Oh chit:eek:

Castor-426ex
05-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Taco
Castor please explain to me where the oil goes if it isnt leaking or if it isnt burning it???:confused:

read the post

what i was sayin is oil loss can come from more places than one...

Leaks

Burning oil

all these = oil consumption

but if you check your oil and its low that doesnt mean " well chit fire holy hell....my rings are shot!"

RIjon
05-29-2003, 01:30 PM
service manual said to put in 1.95 in. So I ended up putting in 2. Checked it all for leaks too. I have smelled the exhaust too and nothing out of the ordinary. Even when I rev it, I don't see anything. I do a lot of high second and third riding(whoops, fast trails, smaller jumping).

The manual says to put in 1.95 in ....then start it and let it idle for 5 minues .....then Add to Full

You only did the first part

;)

franciscoluis
05-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Last time i check the oil level it consumed about half quarter, so i just gonna make it 416c.c.:devil:

400exbiggun
05-29-2003, 02:31 PM
well would a compression check tell if ya need rings?????? Mine smokes when i rev it, a little amount of dark black smoke, or dark gray. is this burning?? could it also be that it floods its self every fricking night( at least i think)? CAUSE IT IS A PAIN IN THE @$$ TO GET STARTED IF IT SITS FOR 3+DAYS with the gas turned off? or just a carb adjust?

Rip_Tear
05-30-2003, 01:22 PM
That could be from a gas leak(carb problem?)/jetting problems or maybe its not shut off all the way. You could try turning the gas off before you shut it off and let it die from lack of gas. :D Good luck.

izquiere
06-13-2003, 11:47 AM
My 416 does the opposite I fill it 3/4 of the way and start it up and let it run for 5min and bam it`s all the way to the higher marker . It happens all the time explain that one someone.

GOMER007
06-17-2003, 11:25 AM
allso what oil dew U use? I use pensoil 10w30 synthetic. mines a '99 and it just uses a little bite now and then and the guy that had it B4 me rode the everliving crapp out of it!I think It's going too need a rebild in like 1-2years:ermm: