PDA

View Full Version : ASR a-arms???

quaddict53
05-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Anyone have American Star Racing a-arms?? I'm mainly concerned about the durabilty. They're for my dads 400, and he doesn't consistantly hit the 70 footers or anything....lol. Mainly its woods riding and little jumps. So if anyone has any input i'd really appreciate it. Also, what shocks should he get? I'm thinkin works dual rate, but I'm not sure....he cant afford any Elkas or anything...lol. Thanks.
-Cody

05-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Check out Rickystator.com or Alba action sports websites. The a-arms Ricky sells are basically the same design as the ASR's, as well as the Alba Pro Comp arms. In my experiance, mounting the lower shock tab on a single round piece of tubing is quite flimsy and is prone to cracking, and excessive shock wear, I've seen it several times. However if it is just for your dad to play on they should be fine, hook up a set of works steeler shocks and you'd have a nice set up. I have TBR +3+1 A-arms and TCS tripple rate shocks non rez and they are excellent. I even cartwheeled the bike and there wasn't even a crack. Their arms run @$750 but you may want to call them. I believe they have various sizes in stock.

05-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Here's a larger pic

jmoney45
05-09-2003, 01:41 PM
I have ASR arms and haven't had any problems with them, though I've only been running them for a month or so. I think he'll be fine if he isn't racing. I have PEPs on them, but any aftermarket shock will be better than stock. It all depends on how much you want to spend for suspension. Works will prolly be fine. Here's a pic of my front end (more on my website).

05-09-2003, 04:41 PM
For most rec riders, ASR a-arms are plenty strong, what it comes down to is you can be a good rec rider who knows how to ride fast and still manage to not beat on his ride, and there are those who beat on equipment no matter how good they are. That ASR PEP setup looks good, just keep an eye on the top shock mount, the problems I've seen seem to reside in excessive wear in the top of the shock, where it can start to get play on the mounting bolt. Then again, if you don't beat on it unnecessarily that setup will last a long time.

05-09-2003, 05:21 PM
There are many different a-arms out there but I would want to be getting what I paid for.

I have seen these arms up close and there not junk but they dont appear to be the same quality as some of the others that are very close in price.

A friend had recieved a set for his Raptor that was part of a bait and switch scam by Team Factory racing that sent these instead of the housers he had ordered and paid for etc. The ones he received were deff not housers and by unvestigation ended up being american star.

The were made of a heavy guage steel but they were also a much cheaper mild steel (not chro moly) and the rod ends were not the best ones either (less expensive lighter duty stuff).

He had tried to fit them up but they were not sized right either and the spindles had to be machined so he ended up selling them at a loss months after getting in another brand.

I have heard about some things that I have not had the time to investigate but if you are looking into these maybe you would want to consider checking them out. There is a supossedly a group of dealers that are owned by one of the larger ATV dirt bike wholesalers and they supposedly are making large purchases of suspension parts from asia that are just cheap copies of some older a-arm styles. Again for now this is just "rumor" etc but if true then I would have concern about the potential for correcting problems with a cheap imitation imported product. And the fact that the other known quality brands are close in price only makes saving 50-80 dollars no biggie in the long run.

Good luck in what ever you decide and let us know what you think etc.

If anyone knows more on this please speak up.

Dave400ex
05-09-2003, 05:42 PM
I would check out the JD Performance a-arms with some Economy Elka's...

busch light
05-09-2003, 11:30 PM
I have asr and works pro series on my raptor just for the fact I snapped my stock ones on a tree at a rather high rate of speed, even with stock a-arms they managed to bend my frame. The way I see it is easier to replace a set of a-arms than a frame. So far I am impressed with the quality of these a-arms, they have already took a couple hard licks and are holding up.........so far JMO

busch light
05-09-2003, 11:48 PM
I have asr and works pro series on my raptor just for the fact I snapped my stock ones on a tree at a rather high rate of speed, even with stock a-arms they managed to bend my frame. The way I see it is easier to replace a set of a-arms than a frame. So far I am impressed with the quality of these a-arms, they have already took a couple hard licks and are holding up.........so far JMO

quaddict53
05-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Hey guys thanx a lot for all the help. I'll talk to my dad about some of the points brought up. Obviously the reason I'm lookin at the ASR's is cost. $400 new on e-bay. Whats he really wants is a Roll long travel set-up but...$$$!! Thanx again for the help, and if anyone else has an opinion, feel free to post.
-Cody

Derek
05-10-2003, 05:42 AM
If u race fast in woods or mx then the arms wont last.

jmoney45
05-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by quaddict53
Whats he really wants is a Roll long travel set-up but...$$$!!

Don't we all...

05-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Where did your frame bend, I saw another Rappy that hit a rock and the frame bent on the lower frame rails behind the rear lower a-arm mount where the two tubes split and go under the motor. It seems that the Raptor frame needs some gusseting there since the frame is so narrow there.
Glad to see your arms are holding up.

05-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by mrbluehair
Where did your frame bend, I saw another Rappy that hit a rock and the frame bent on the lower frame rails behind the rear lower a-arm mount where the two tubes split and go under the motor. It seems that the Raptor frame needs some gusseting there since the frame is so narrow there.
Glad to see your arms are holding up.

My friends rappy did just that, but it was a tree not a rock and the laegers were fine it was just the frame that was trashed (600.00 replacement).

busch light
05-12-2003, 12:38 AM
mine bent right behind the lower a-arm mount, but I hit a tree running close to 50mph, it snapped my upper a-arm, the prm skid plate kept the lower from braking, but it did rip the balljoint out, the front rim was bent in so bad I had to beat it off the spindle with a mallot, other than that, I think I was pretty lucky.

I am planning on getting a used frame if I can find one somewhere cheap and get it reinforced and powdercoated, with the right front tire setting back 2in behind the left, it just don't seem to handle like it should

lil400exman
05-12-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by busch light
with the right front tire setting back 2in behind the left, it just don't seem to handle like it should

hmmmmmmmmmmm thats a deep statment i wonder why?:D :p

05-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought, all stock frames have weak points and that's one of the Raptors. With the newer frames attempting to reduce bump steer by making the lower frame rails as narrow as possible it makes them more likely to be bent there. I am curious to see what happens to the single box tube on the 512lb. V-force 700 takes a punch to the cheek. I like the bike, but that skinny tube scares me.
The sad thing is, is that we buy these tough aftermarket goodies made out of chrome-moly, ie. a-arms and steering stems and when you wreck, it pretzels the frame, oops, now I need a better frame to withstand the durability of my upgraded parts. A vicious circle if ever there was one. Oh well, what can you do when you love the sport? You gotsta pay the :devil Cha ching!

Sick0
05-13-2003, 01:23 PM
I don't think the asr a-ams are on the same level as Houser or herrmann. or any of the high end arms out there.

My friend had problems with his to. He had a pair of chromes one's and the chrome flaked off. the spindles never kept tight after he had them machined, he boke one of the ball joints. I think one of the a-arms didn't fit good. Plus the welds on his didn't look top notch. Ithink he spent the same amount for the a-arms as a good par.

i RECOMMEND JRDs look good. Herrmanns and houser and a great pair of arms for the price.

Plus if he's just cruising around and not racing I think a pair of works triple rates with rezzies. will do him great.

You don't need a topend shock if you don't ride hard enough or push the quad hard enough.

05-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
I don't think the asr a-ams are on the same level as Houser or herrmann. or any of the high end arms out there.

My friend had problems with his to. He had a pair of chromes one's and the chrome flaked off. the spindles never kept tight after he had them machined, he boke one of the ball joints. I think one of the a-arms didn't fit good. Plus the welds on his didn't look top notch. Ithink he spent the same amount for the a-arms as a good par.

i RECOMMEND JRDs look good. Herrmanns and houser and a great pair of arms for the price.

Plus if he's just cruising around and not racing I think a pair of works triple rates with rezzies. will do him great.

You don't need a topend shock if you don't ride hard enough or push the quad hard enough.

Got to pretty much agree with that, but if your gonna skimp do it someplace other than the suspension.

With all the motor work and mods on my machine the one that I have to put the most value on over all the others is the suspension. It not only makes the ride 100000% better and easier on your body it will make the machine faster over most all terrain and do it easier as well.

Skip the billet this or chrome that if you need to convience yourself to spend the few hundred more on the better shocks or a-arms etc and you can thank me latter :D

400grl
05-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Ricky Stator! Ricky Stator! Ricky Stator! Nice beefy ball joints and tie rod ends - mine have been great! +3+1's for under $500 with the tie rods.....niiiiiiiiiice!:D

Dave400ex
05-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I agree with 440ex4Me don't go cheap on the suspension stuff. Do it right the first time and you will be much happier...