PDA

View Full Version : Brakes won't bleed.

racerx573
05-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Ok, I just got some new Dual line stainless brake lines and cannot get the things to pump. I've got no pressure at all, there are no bubbles coming from the bleeders screws, but there are bubbles coming out from my master cylinder reservoir. Am I doin somethin wrong? I am not the best when it comes to brakes.. anyone else ever have this problem? What's the best way to go about doing this without a speed bleeder?

Pappy
05-09-2003, 07:03 AM
keep pumping. if you have bubbles coming from the master cylinder up thru the lines then there is something happening:D also if you take a very small pick and circle the area where you see the bubbles coming from (dont stab...just lightly swirl around it) it seems to help...dont know why....but it does:huh

racerx573
05-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Since yesterday evening I have probably pumped for about an hour or so..:grr :mad:

Tommy 17
05-09-2003, 07:55 AM
jay hook a hose up to the nipple on the calipar and suck fluid down into them...

lil400exman
05-09-2003, 08:07 AM
look in the FAQ section and see what jabber jaw did!;)

05-09-2003, 08:08 AM
since they are dual ...try bleeding 1 at a time ..
& do not open the bleeder any more than necasary ..also if you can find a small hose to hook onto the bleeder this helps to keep air from returning into the caliper ..& turn that hose upwards ,so air does not get sucked back into the brake as you pump..the air bubbles will escape & the fluid in the added hose will return to the caliper

rigged400ex
05-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
jay hook a hose up to the nipple on the calipar and suck fluid down into them... thats a good idea

Pappy
05-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
jay hook a hose up to the nipple on the calipar and suck fluid down into them...

get a picture of that too:devil

racerx573
05-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
get a picture of that too:devil

HAHA

I did that to get the fluid into the lines.

Natertot426ex
05-09-2003, 08:52 AM
When I did my fronts I just opened the valves and started pumping and within like 30 seconds it was pumping out of the valves. That is what worked for me.

QuadTrix6
05-09-2003, 09:56 AM
if you have no pressure in them youi might need to pick up a bleeder pump like might vac to start it

racerx573
05-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Stops on a dime!! I just cracked the bleeders and let gravity do its thing, started gettin major bubbles from the bleeders, and then cha ching.:)

05-09-2003, 11:07 AM
im having problems with mine too, whats crack the bleeders?

racerx573
05-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Fill up the master cylinder, open the bleeders,and let them ist, but sure to monitor them, then when the fluid level lowers, add more, and wait a little bit, then do the other side. Then after you do it both sides, leave one open and pump it, if you see bubbles, then youre doing it right.

05-09-2003, 01:15 PM
its just my back brake, its got so much air in it now its not even funny, i thinki'm gonna have to buy a bleed gun

Elmo on PCP
05-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
its just my back brake, its got so much air in it now its not even funny, i thinki'm gonna have to buy a bleed gun

every post you make is retarted, you must be 12 or yer "retarted" cuz you know nothen about quads dude.... you want a "loud pipe to piss off neighbors" and you "need a bleed gun cuz of so much air" lol

Derek
05-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Elmo on PCP
every post you make is retarted, you must be 12 or yer "retarted" cuz you know nothen about quads dude.... you want a "loud pipe to piss off neighbors" and you "need a bleed gun cuz of so much air" lol

And who the Fu** are you?!?!?!? If the kid needs help then why not help him instead of being a complete arsehole!!!

05-09-2003, 04:34 PM
thanks derek, i'm new to quads. i just got this baby february 14 & am learning things from her all the time. I love this site, u guys help me out alot on all the easy stuff. I dont know what I'd do without this site. :confused2

EX Stud
11-25-2003, 08:41 PM
what is the bleeder valve and how do i open it?

11-25-2003, 08:57 PM
lol...i just read this post...i never did fix my brake problem :p the bleeder valve is covered by a small little plastic piece that pops on & off the very rear caliper....you turn it up to loosen it & let air out.....;)

toby400ex
11-25-2003, 10:04 PM
its just my back brake, its got so much air in it now its not even funny, i thinki'm gonna have to buy a bleed gun Are you leaving the bleeder valve open while u pump the brakes:confused: :huh

11-25-2003, 10:26 PM
nooo......I have my dad open it after i pump the brakes a bunch & hold the brake down...then he closes it after its open for like 1 second then we keep doing that,......nothing ever happens or improves.....sometimes bubbles will shoot out but my resevoir fluid NEVER goes down ANY AT ALL! it is driving me insane...i have brand new brake pads too. :(

JOEX
11-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Are you adding fluid to the reservoir as you're going? Keeping the level up?

Also, I read somewhere that sometimes the air bubbles get trapped in a high point of the line or a bend, don't know how accurate that is though.

Joe

EX Stud
11-26-2003, 09:22 AM
i'm having the very same problem crazy400

11-26-2003, 09:27 AM
No...Iv'e bled my brakes for like 2 hours & have tried everything....the fluid i nthe reservoir is nto going down at all....EXSTUd, try topping off your mastercylinder w/ brake fluid & then screw the screw in right & try your brakes. ;)

JOEX
11-26-2003, 08:27 PM
No...Iv'e bled my brakes for like 2 hours & have tried everything....the fluid i nthe reservoir is nto going down at all....
I'm guessing the line is plugged:confused: Maybe remove the line and try blowing it out from the bottom.

Joe

11-26-2003, 09:00 PM
iv'e tasted so much brake fluid from this thing....i think joex might be on the money with this one though...ill try it out when i get home

EX Stud
11-27-2003, 07:27 AM
i think i found my problem........it is leaking out of the stupid rubber part in the parking brake.

would that be enough fluid loss to keep my brakes from working?

I don't even use my stupid parking brake, i'll get a block off for it

11-27-2003, 10:59 AM
mine isnt leaking fro mmy parking brake mblock off plate :(

11-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
Ok, I just got some new Dual line stainless brake lines and cannot get the things to pump. I've got no pressure at all, there are no bubbles coming from the bleeders screws, but there are bubbles coming out from my master cylinder reservoir. Am I doin somethin wrong? I am not the best when it comes to brakes.. anyone else ever have this problem? What's the best way to go about doing this without a speed bleeder?

get a oil pump can the old style kind, hook a line to the end and one to the bleed, fill the can with brake fluid and pump it up throught, takes a few seconds, my granpa picked me one up for 2 bucks i think at farm and family store, those dual lines honestly suck, me and my cousin couldnt get his bled, they have less pressure than my duncan lines and we bled them for a hr, youd get a air bubble no matter what, the best lines around are crown series from duncan

11-27-2003, 11:56 AM
keep an eye on the master cylinder once you blow all the air out if you keep pumping brake fluid will pour out all over

JOEX
11-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by EX Stud
i think i found my problem........it is leaking out of the stupid rubber part in the parking brake.

would that be enough fluid loss to keep my brakes from working?

I don't even use my stupid parking brake, i'll get a block off for it
Installing a block off plate will not fix your problem. There shouldn't be any fluid in that area. I think you may need to rebuild the caliper.

Joe

EX Stud
12-08-2003, 01:15 PM
I had a leaking problem with my parking brake. All the brake fluid was leaking out from around were the parking brake was bolted to the caliper

SO......i ordered a Nac's block-off hoping just to fix the problem because i never used my p-brake anyway

after puting everything back on and trying to bleed my brakes it is still leaking out from were the parking brake bolts to the caliper

I'm lost as to what to do i tightened the bolts as tight as they will go, but i'm still getting leakage

Do i need a new caliper?

cdalejef
12-08-2003, 02:38 PM
You have a bad o-ring on the back side of the piston, there should not be any oil behind the parking brake lever. You need to rebuild your caliper.

EX Stud
12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
How do i go about doing that? Should i buy a new caliper?

cdalejef
12-08-2003, 02:56 PM
No, just the seals.
You need numbers 2, 21 and 27

http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=28

EX Stud
12-08-2003, 03:10 PM
There is no way i'll be able to take that apart and put it back together........Will the honda place do that?

EX Stud
12-08-2003, 03:41 PM
You sure those are all i need? Not to question but just double checking

JabberJaw
12-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Allowing your foot to drag the ground until your rear tire runs over it seems to work quite well for me.

Allthough there is some pain associated with this method, it does an effective job of stopping the motion of the vehicle.

You want breaks? You came to the right place!

cdalejef
12-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by EX Stud
There is no way i'll be able to take that apart and put it back together........Will the honda place do that? Its not that hard but if you don't feel up to it I'm sure your dealer can do it for a fee.

12-11-2003, 08:29 PM
send it in to C&D....;)

JOEX
12-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
Allowing your foot to drag the ground until your rear tire runs over it seems to work quite well for me.

Allthough there is some pain associated with this method, it does an effective job of stopping the motion of the vehicle.

You want breaks? You came to the right place!
HEY! Stop right there!

Where the hell have you been!?!

Joe