PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber wheels?

EXtreme-
12-28-2001, 09:39 PM
Anyone own a set of the new HiperTech carbon fiber wheels? I'm considering a purchase but am worried about what kind of beating they'll hold up to. We ride pretty hard and go through alot of rims....all woods, no tracks. I'd be installing these on my Razr's. They claim you'll never need another set of rims. Hmmmm.

thoughts?

Evan
12-29-2001, 12:08 AM
Well if ya order em dont order them through hyper-tech. I did and am stil waiting on them. I placed the order way back in october or maybe september and I still aint got em. I was going to order them through K&K ATV but they didnt have the red beadlock rings I wanted so I decided to order direct well turns out they didnt have them either and I am still waiting on them. K&K has them in stock so I might just cancel the order to hyper tech.

doctor_915
12-29-2001, 11:18 PM
Dont mean to be nebby but around how much did you pay for the carbon fiber wheels?

86atc250r
12-30-2001, 12:01 AM
I don't own a set, but I have heard from some "A" and "AA" class level XC racers that love theirs - haven't heard any complaints from anyone yet...

Another cool thing is they're modular - so if you do damage a piece, you only replace the piece, not the whole wheel....

Evan
12-30-2001, 10:48 AM
I paid what I think everyone else is paying. Which is 175 or 180 fer wheel depending on size. They are really the same price as a good quality alunimnum beadlock wheel so if your going to get beadlocks you might as well have the best for the same price. I also ordered the mudplugs and red beadlockrings and the total was around 860 or something. I cant rember it has been so long and they still are not here.:mad:

EXtreme-
12-30-2001, 12:53 PM
That's a shame! Do you recall them giving you a time period on delivery or explaining a lack of products to ship? They are hard to find...that's for sure. I was planning on calling them during business hours for an order...maybe not such a good idea?

Scott
12-30-2001, 06:30 PM
In defence of HyPer-tech, my cousin ordered a set from them and got them in a little over a week. He also hit a metal standpipe that was sticking out of the ground during a race and managed to break the bead lock on one of the rear rims. It still held air. He called hyper-tech, they said ship it back to them so they could see how it broke, and at the same time they air-mailed him a new piece plus two new gaskets, all free of charge, so he would have them for the race the next weekend. And he's just a guy that races for fun on the weekends, not some pro with sponsors out the ying-yang.

Price-wise, I think the set of 4 was about $750-800. But the set of four, in the shipping boxes, weighed 36 lbs. total. That's REAL light.

doctor_915
12-30-2001, 08:07 PM
Thats not a bad price compared to other bead locks, I would probably just get the rears for now. I hear they are as tough as nails. All I do is trail riding and I am going to start XC this year.
I would get the red beadlocks though, I think they will match yellow plastic. Oh and did anyone see the OMF wheels on that rancher dirtwheels did an article on? Those things look awesome, I wanna pair for my Foreman.

brink400
01-01-2002, 10:50 AM
I remember seeing an article about them in dirtwheels a while back. They gave the wheels a good review and said that they couldnt break/bend them no matter how hard they tried. I think they also said that the rims soaked up bumps better than the aluminum wheels which gave it a smoother ride...

01-01-2002, 11:19 AM
What do they look like after getting all scrached up? Do they look bad?

86atc250r
01-01-2002, 11:48 AM
Haven't seen you in a while....

I can't imagine that they'd look any worse than an aluminum wheel does after it's scratched up.

How's the Raptor treating ya?

01-01-2002, 12:52 PM
86atc250r, The Raptor doing fine. Haven't had anything happen yet but I keep reading about all these other people having problems though. The worst thing that has happen was me getting stuck in that "Black Mud" I went into it like I can do anything and when I hit it I STOPED! Lets just say 4 hours later I got out. Other than that I left the key on for like a week and I went through another set of back tires. Hows things your way? My riding took a pause for a while I got saved at church not to long ago and thats really changed me. My riding skills have got a little better, went to a good mx track and let me be the 1st to say I thought I could hit those big jumps and get "big air". After the 1st on I toned it down just a little. I maybe was getting 4 feet of air off some jumps and I tell you what I "Felt" 10 feet in the air lol. At first I thought I was getting big til I saw the video. But anyawy this is my first atv and I WILL get better. So slow down so I can catch up lol.!!

peace
2fast

86atc250r
01-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Things have been pretty good here...

I've got one racing buddy with a Raptor that has had the starter sprag go out - to the tune of about $500 & he's really worried about his tranny because it keeps jumping out of 2nd.. Then I've got another buddy that has a first production Raptor that hasn't had any trouble that I know of except clutch fade - go figure..

Congrats on the life changing experience...

I've finally cracked the swingarm on my 400 - that was inevitable - I've broken the swingarms on every ATV I've owned... My clutch is finally starting to go away also, but I expected that a lot sooner with the engine work I've done. I'm getting ready to do a complete tear down and rebuild for the coming season. I'm also going to change my "look" so I'm easier to identify out on the course - I'll post pics when it's done...

Careful on those jumps - learn slow before trying the bigger stuff - have fun out there....

Later

EXtreme-
01-07-2002, 10:49 AM
well, they're in...gottem in 4 days after ordering. The billet center is super thick...close to a half inch, they're allready put together and just need to slap on the rubber and install the beadlocks. Now for an EXtreme trail ride to put em to the test! Rears are 9x9.

EXtreme-
01-07-2002, 10:50 AM
inside view

EXtreme-
01-07-2002, 10:51 AM
billet center

01-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Can you weigh them before you mount your tires on them?? If you can, please include the hardware as well.

X-Rider, did you receive yours yet? If so, any complaints, other than the timeit took to get them??

beerock
01-07-2002, 12:15 PM
MAn, you guys are gonna wish you have waited for those carbon fibers rims, there is a new style carbon fiber rim coming out.

The carbon fiber rims flex ALOT which actually act like a part of the suspension. another thing is that since the rims are lighter than comparable aluminum rims, it allows the suspension to work more efficiently because of less unsprung weight.

Also, the colored riings arent availible until febuary(they are coming out with them with the new style rims)

I talked to the owner directly for about a hour and a half(a couple times). here is my own write up about the new rims coming out supposedly called the "tech 2's" http://pub28.ezboard.com/ftheultimatetrx250rforumfrm17
you may want to look at the other write up about the new tires from Itp coming out.

9" rims have gotten a whole new life because of itp's new 18" tire!!

The service hi-per technology will give there clients is second to none.
dana creech is running the rims now because he bent another manufacturers bead lock.

CONSIDER the carbon fiber riims the LAST set of rims youll ever buy.

ALso consider this, if you go over your 1 year waranty ANY part that you break will only cost $30 to replace ANY PART, it is part of there satisfaction they want there custoimers to have.

Evan
01-07-2002, 12:50 PM
No I havent got mine yet. I just saw that they charged my account for them so I assume they will be shipping them soon.
If the red rings dont come out till feb. then I may not get mine for a while b/c I ordered them with the order I placed.

Beerock by the way it sounds all we have to do is buy one of these o rings or gaskets and we are updated. I can live with that.

Scott
01-07-2002, 12:58 PM
X-rider:

The ones I was talking about were bought prior to the gaskets, then the gaskets were added later. No problems.

No loss of air pressure was seen either before or after the gaskets were installed. But tire pressures were all under 6 lbs.

beerock
01-07-2002, 12:58 PM
no you are wrong they machined the center hub for the o ring to fit. you can update your center hub I think.

You should just call up ask for tom and tell them that your friend broque (brock) told you about the new style rims that are coming out and you want them instead.
other wise it will be a hassle.

If you cant wait then do what you want, I have been waiting because I would rather have the updated ones
if you read my write up youll know why they changed the gasket setup to orings
http://pub28.ezboard.com/ftheultimatetrx250rforumfrm17

Foxrage
01-07-2002, 01:51 PM
I want the new 8x8 Carbon fiber rims they are coming out with. They have the hubs built in with the center of the wheel. That will be sweet hopefully it will be in my price range.

01-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Those wheels sound like my next set of wheels!!!!!!!!!!!! The only part I will miss is the shiny polish wheels :(

At least I'll be able to get shiny beadlock!

2fast

EXtreme-
01-07-2002, 06:07 PM
Marlin,
each wheel complete with two rings and bolt kit weighed 6.4lbs They were a piece of cake to install and I'm thrilled!

kid300ex
01-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Can you post a picture of them on your quad?

beerock
01-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by NACS400EX
I want the new 8x8 Carbon fiber rims they are coming out with. They have the hubs built in with the center of the wheel. That will be sweet hopefully it will be in my price range.

actually the 8x8 rims have a separate hub, but the hib s really trick.

it has the nut which bolts up to the axle in the middle and then the nut that holds the rim on is a big 3"diameter nut that is self locking(you can see the axle/hub bolt in the center. and the nut that holds the rims is on the outside(alot larger)

NJ300ex
01-07-2002, 07:37 PM
if every aftermarket company was like hyper tech i would be spending alot more money on atvs and you would have a whole lot less to worry about.

Foxrage
01-07-2002, 07:43 PM
They told me when i emailed them they where one hole pies for quick changes. Thats just what they told me so matbe they are wrong.

Leo
01-07-2002, 08:17 PM
EXtreme-

Tried to clear up the pic a bit ;)

Leo

NJ300ex
01-07-2002, 08:20 PM
i love the look of black rims.

EXtreme-
01-07-2002, 08:47 PM
thanks Leo.....that's better. Didn't feel like fooling around for that "kodak moment". It was cold and wet in the garage.

here's a better shot up close.....

01-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Thank you for weighing them!:) The rims look sweet..........now I am very jealous:mad: They sure look good on the 400ex. Good luck with them. It's good to hear that it was "a piece of cake" to install the tires onto the rims....cool:cool: Thanks again EXtreme.

Beerock, thanks for the update on Hiper.......your write up was informative. Thank you.:cool:

MOOCAZEN
01-08-2002, 08:33 AM
I JUST ORDERED ALL 4 ILL BE GETTING BY THURSDAY, ILL TRY TO POST A PIC

beerock
01-08-2002, 10:45 AM
mocazen did you not read my post?

there comin out with the new rims in febuary.

the 8x8's will also debut in feb too.

thats also when youll be able to get the colored rings.

MOOCAZEN
01-08-2002, 11:13 AM
I KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABT, I GOT THE 10 INCH ONES THEY ALREADY HAVE THOSE, I DONT RIDE MX ANYWAYS, ANYWAYS I GOT THEM FREE, SO I CANT COMPLAIN

JabberJaw
01-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Those pictures were hard to see, so I touched them up for you.

JabberJaw
01-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Next:

JabberJaw
01-08-2002, 11:30 AM
Last:

01-08-2002, 11:56 AM
You know thanks to jabba jaw, I can see the inside rime good now. My point is this I thought the were like real carbon finber where you could see the fiber? They look just like black plastic in the pictures. Now dont get me wrong I still like them but I was thinking, they are able to put dye in carbon fiber to change the color a little, they do that already with hoods and other car parts now. I wonder when they'll start changing the colors? I think it could be done tastefully. Whatcha ya'll think?

2fast

86atc250r
01-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Check their FAQ and Technology page to see why they don't use the clear resin and woven fiber...

Scott
01-08-2002, 12:23 PM
OK, I give up. I can't find where you're saying to look.
EX Tech - not there
f.a.q. - not there
FAQ in forums - not there either.

So where did you want us to look?

Evan
01-08-2002, 12:29 PM
I can tell ya

Go to hyper's web page. I think it is hyper-tech.com not sure though

86atc250r
01-08-2002, 12:29 PM
http://www.hiper-technology.com/

Scott
01-08-2002, 12:35 PM
aahhhhh....

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw...

MOOCAZEN
01-09-2002, 08:24 AM
HOW HARD IS IT TO INSTALL THE TIRES ON THE BEADLOCKS, IM GETTING MINE ON THURSDAY, BUT IM WONDERING IF ITS HARD TO INSTALL THE TIRES ON THE RIMS, LET ME KNOW, ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO HAS THE CHEAPEST PRICED ITP XCR'S THNX

EXtreme-
01-09-2002, 09:21 AM
You should be able to install these with your eyes closed! I did mine on the kitchen floor while the Mrs. was gone.....lol. Slap a little dish soap on the tire beads, shove the rim totally inside the tire so that the tire beads lap onto the 1/8 inch channel on the outer edge of the rims. Overlap the rings onto and over the tire bead (making a sandwich) and run in the bolts using a circular pattern. No need to seat the bead with high pressure.......you could use a bicycle pump if you wanted!

MOOCAZEN
01-09-2002, 09:42 AM
BTU DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE DIFERENT WITH THE SINGLE BEAD IN THE FRONT OR THE SAME THING TOO? THNX THOUGH

EXtreme-
01-09-2002, 10:14 AM
you'll need an air compressor for the fronts to seat the inside bead.

MOOCAZEN
01-09-2002, 10:18 AM
THNX ALOT, IM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING THEM GOING, I JUST NEED TO GET THE XCR'S BY TOMMORROW, THNX

EXtreme-
01-13-2002, 09:16 PM
Moocazen,
Get the rims yet? Wanted to see a pic of the fronts.

MOOCAZEN
01-14-2002, 08:43 AM
I GOT THEM BUT DANG IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO GET THE FRONT BEADLOCKS TO SET PROPERLY, THE SCREWS HAVE TO GO IN PERFECTLY ELSE THEY WONT GO IN, BUT I DID IT, THEY LOOK SWEET, ILL TRY TO GET PICS THIS WEEK

Evan
01-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Well I finally got my rear wheels after almost 4 months of waiting. I emailed them about a week ago to see where they were and they responded yesterday and said they were on there way but they realized too late after they shipped them that they sent the wrong ones. I ordered 10x8 rear and they said they sent the 9x9 rears, they appoligized for the mistake and siad they were already shipping an address label to return them. Well I decided I wanted the 9x9s instead. The only reason I ordered the 10s is that was the only size holeshot mxs availible at the time now they have 9 inch holeshot mxs so these will be fine. I emailed them and told them I was just going to keep these they said no problem and the fronts will be here next wednesday, my mudplugs that I ordered are on there way and they said they would ship my red rings when they finshed testing them Feb. 18th so I am good to go. I am really happy with the quality of these wheels, everything looks very strong. Other than the long wait, (for me) I am very pleased. I will post pics if any one wants but they look just like the other ones on here.