PDA

View Full Version : Hard to Find Neutral

Sawicky
05-08-2003, 11:12 AM
I recently rode through a 3 1/2 ft. creek with my airbox lid off and got water in my engine. Now its hard to find neutral. I changed the oil 4 times and its back to normal, but I can't find neutral sometimes. Its really hard. Before the creek incident it was so easy. Anyone have any idea's what might be wrong...Please Help!!!!

2003 400EX
WB E series Slip-on
K&N air filter
K&N pre-filter
air-box lid off(now its back on)

WhY_ZeE
05-08-2003, 01:28 PM
My friend 400ex is also really hard to find neutral...no idea why though :ermm:

DeCap27
05-08-2003, 01:31 PM
YA i got something for U.DONT ride it in creeks anymore they are racing machines they are not for that type of play..U are lucky u did crack the engine.THE raceing engines are a litter aluimium then most trail rideing atv..
THere for they crack easyer ..

second prowd owner of a
89 fully restored LT500R

EHSRACING
05-08-2003, 01:50 PM
you might need a clutch? have you oiled your clutch cable latley also

White_Knuckles
05-08-2003, 01:54 PM
I read somewhere to try full synthetic oil to cure notchy shifting. Water in the crankcase may have turned your oil grey and lack of lubercation damaged something in the trans. That is rare, everything is mechanical and you caught it quick. Try slipping the clutch a little rolling forward a bit to align the syncros / shift drum then pull the clutch back in and try selecting neutral. Your clutch may be water damaged and not properly disengaging and something is spinning in there even though there's no pull disengaged.

I'll bet you can hardly wait to change the oil AGAIN. :p

DeCap27
05-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
I read somewhere to try full synthetic oil to cure notchy shifting.

I'll bet you can hardly wait to change the oil AGAIN. :p

RULE NUMBER ONE never use synthetic IOL on these type of engines ,Unless u dont whont them very long...

I talked with alot of PROS .. about that and DONT USE The oil..U will regret it in the long run...

second prowd owner of a
89 fully restored LT500R

EHSRACING
05-09-2003, 01:14 AM
i have heard that sythetic isnt that bad from some people personally i wont use it i like maximum just as long as you dont break a new clucth in with it (synthetic) i dont think that it will be that horrible but im not positive ive never used it

Taco
05-09-2003, 01:21 AM
I've ran Mobil1 15w50 Synthetic in my 400 for 2yrs now and not a single problem with it. But what do i know:rolleyes:

"BLAHH"300!!
05-09-2003, 01:40 AM
...i'll let them help you with the cause of the problem, but
next time you ride, notice.
it'll be hard to find neutral while it's cold, and prolly try to move while in gear. after you warm it up, it'll get better.
atleast thats how mine does.
....thought i needed a clutch, my motor's apart right now, and my builder says my clutch is fine...
i've adjusted the clutch, but it didn't need it, so i put it like it was.

other user's on here say they have the same problem...

try replacing the clutch cable, before you go into the acctual clutch....this is after you've adjusted it, with no results.
..(just a thought, might save a few $..might not.