PDA

View Full Version : Pressing on the cam gear flange

dariusld
05-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Putting my bike back together after taking it apart. I had to put my new flange on my new Hot Cam. I really didn't want to have to find some place to have it pressed on and I didn't want to spend the money. So I took a piece of plywood, 19mm socket with extention, a jack, and my 5000lb truck and wa-la you have a hydralic press. I know I shouldn't of done it this way but it worked. I threw the plywood under my truck,put the cam on top of that, put the socket on the flange, the extention on the socket, and lowered the front end of the truck on top of all of that. And slowly but surely it pressed into place. I had to buy a new flange to do it this way, but that would be $20 I'd be paying to the machine shop anyways and I got a new flange. I'm not saying for you to do it this way, but I did it and the cam doesn't have one scratch on it. And the flange doesn't move at all and everything is lined up.

Dune Surfer
05-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Pretty smart weed hopper:) I hear you can also freeze the cam and heat the flange and it will slip right on.

dariusld
05-08-2003, 12:31 PM
I tried that , didn't work.

Dune Surfer
05-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Darn. I was going to try that for glamis400ex:grr

DeCap27
05-08-2003, 01:21 PM
the one dude is right about the freezeing the cam it does work..

here is a link of a guy doing it with his LT500R u can see the crank in the freezer

http://www.off-road.com/atv/qra/engine2.html

second prowd owner of a
89 fully restored LT500R

RideRed400StYlE
05-08-2003, 04:39 PM
All I did with mine was heat the flange. and with a couple taps of a hammer it went right on.. easy as pie. same thing for taking the flange off the original a little heat, and a hammer take her right off.. lol