PDA

View Full Version : Heel Kicks?

kawasaki_ridah
05-08-2003, 07:01 AM
Hey i was wourndering why just about everyone on here takes there heel kicks or heel gaurds off

Dune Surfer
05-08-2003, 08:33 AM
To make it easier to run over and break your leg when your foot slips off:scary:

Jellyrolls
05-08-2003, 08:45 AM
rofl

kawasaki_ridah
05-08-2003, 09:30 AM
I thought so.

spincr4hire
05-08-2003, 09:47 AM
I hate the stock heel guards on the Z/KFX, they are good for collecting mud and leaves...the Roll pegs come with a bracket that ties the fender back to the frame...
pic is fuzzy, sorry...

kawasaki_ridah
05-08-2003, 10:27 AM
i think its dumb easy to break a leg

250EXking
05-08-2003, 10:32 AM
i had to take mine off for my nerfs.

blastersrule
05-08-2003, 10:40 AM
i have no idea y some people take them off when they have the opption of keaping them seams dumb:huh

KY Woods Rider
05-08-2003, 11:23 AM
I pull the heel guards off every sport quad that I ride. The reason is mostly because of how I ride. When I ride my quad, I ride on the balls of my feet. While many people do that even with the foot guards in place, I wear a size 12 shoe, so there's not much room to place my foot that far back on the peg; and I can't stand my heel rubbing against the heel guard. Also, the heel guards have a nasty habit of clogging up with mud and leaves and my heel ends up riding on a big ball of mud, which I have to try to kick out of the way when I get a straight stretch.

I've had my foot come off the peg in every direction possible and haven't broken my leg or ankle yet; and it only hurts for a couple of turns and then I forget about it (and yes, I've run over my foot when it came off too). However, when I ride a sport quad, I always wear proper riding boots (not worn out tennis shoes or work boots) because I am planning on going fast and riding hard and I need all the support and protection I can get.

Black400
05-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
I pull the heel guards off every sport quad that I ride. The reason is mostly because of how I ride. When I ride my quad, I ride on the balls of my feet. While many people do that even with the foot guards in place, I wear a size 12 shoe, so there's not much room to place my foot that far back on the peg; and I can't stand my heel rubbing against the heel guard. Also, the heel guards have a nasty habit of clogging up with mud and leaves and my heel ends up riding on a big ball of mud, which I have to try to kick out of the way when I get a straight stretch.

I've had my foot come off the peg in every direction possible and haven't broken my leg or ankle yet; and it only hurts for a couple of turns and then I forget about it (and yes, I've run over my foot when it came off too). However, when I ride a sport quad, I always wear proper riding boots (not worn out tennis shoes or work boots) because I am planning on going fast and riding hard and I need all the support and protection I can get.

Couldnt have said it better myself:devil

250EXstud
05-08-2003, 02:46 PM
I broke mine off.

kawasaki_ridah
05-08-2003, 03:27 PM

well my foot went off infront of the peg and broke my leg and i was wereing good rideing boots

KY Woods Rider
05-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by kawasaki_ridah
well my foot went off infront of the peg and broke my leg and i was wereing good rideing boots

Sorry to hear about your luck man. I've had my foot go off the front of the peg a few times and every time it just dragged along the ground for a second until I could slow down and get myself back in riding position. Slipping off the peg will almost pull you off the side of the quad, but the worst injury I've gotten is a bruise on the back of my calf from the peg hitting it and I slightly twisted my ankle once. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. About the only thing you can do that will help keep your foot from going off the front of the peg and hitting the ground is to run nerf bars.

spincr4hire
05-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by kawasaki_ridah
i think its dumb easy to break a leg

learn how to ride...:rolleyes:

@Bad465EX
05-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by 250EXking
i had to take mine off for my nerfs.

Same here

kawasaki_ridah
05-09-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
learn how to ride...:rolleyes:

i can ride just fine, your foot will eventually slip off, like climbing stairs you will trip one time or another

flyin#5
05-09-2003, 04:44 AM
they are annoying to me...

05-09-2003, 04:49 AM
They look stupid :blah

But on a more serious note, i had to take em off for my pro pegs.

QuadTrix6
05-09-2003, 05:10 AM
II wear a size 12 shoe, so there's not much room to place my foot that far back on the peg; and I can't stand my heel rubbing against the heel guard.

wouldn't your heel hit the rear tires :confused: i keep mine on i feel a lot safer specially when trying tricks sometime your footing it off and the heel kicks can help save ya

QuadTrix6
05-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by 400exracer
They look stupid :blah

But on a more serious note, i had to take em off for my pro pegs.

AC PROPEGS ?

05-09-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
AC PROPEGS ?

To bad those cheap gaurds broke the first time i jumped:macho plus i think he was talking about the stock mud gaurds quadtrix, the stock ones wont fit with pro pegs

My foot never goes backwards anyway, i dont see how one's foot can fall backward.:confused:

kawasaki_ridah
05-09-2003, 06:59 AM
seems like the keep the mud off the pegs and if you have mud there you may slip really easy BTW quadtrix those nerfs look great that what im getting for my KFX

zephead400ex
05-09-2003, 07:43 AM
I had to take mine off to compensate the Pro Armor nerfs.

kawasaki_ridah
05-09-2003, 08:30 AM
i understand it when you have to take em off for nerfs and stuff but taking them off when you dont need to is what i dont see

KY Woods Rider
05-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
wouldn't your heel hit the rear tires :confused: i keep mine on i feel a lot safer specially when trying tricks sometime your footing it off and the heel kicks can help save ya

I won't say that it couldn't happen, but so far my heel hasn't rubbed the rear tires. I keep my feet and legs as far inward on the pegs as I can (to help grip the frame and body work), so I think my feet are probably too far inward to hit the tires. The only time my foot is toward the outside of the peg is in turns, and then my foot is turned sideways a bit (for better leverage on the quad) so my heel isn't back as far as if my foot was straight.

The only problem I've had from riding with my feet that far back on the pegs is that I sometimes push the fenders into the rear tires when I stand up and lean back to wheelie over logs, holes, water holes, etc. No big deal, but it does make an annoying sound for a couple seconds.

As for doing tricks, I haven't had any problems yet. Sometimes I don't get my feet back in the exact spot that I want them, but its no big deal.