PDA

View Full Version : Quiting........

Str8Wicked
05-08-2003, 04:40 AM
I decided last night I was gonna try to quit smoking.. Went and bought a box of that new stuff Commit from Nicoret.... seems to be working oK for now... We'll see after a week... Wish me luck...

300exjuggalo
05-08-2003, 04:44 AM
good luck , smokin is bad, people die to much from it when they could just stop smoking and then be healthy

GOod luck:macho

Str8Wicked
05-08-2003, 05:04 AM
While actually I'm pretty healthy now considering I've been smoking for 10 years.. I work out everyday... I have no trouble most of the time with smoking. Mostly sick of smelling like smoke all the time, waking up with that smokers taste in your mouth, and most of all my sons been telling me all year I'm gonna die so I need to quit...

I've tried to wuit three other times last year so hopefully this new stuff will work...

05-08-2003, 05:13 AM
good luck , smokin is bad, people die to much from it when they could just stop smoking and then be healthy

Too bad it isnt just as easy as all that.

Theres a reason they pump all that nicotine into them, and its so you dont or cant stop.

It can be done and I have done it many times but its anything but easy, and keeps haunting you like you wouldnt believe.

Good luck man cause your in for some fun, but keep at it you can do it.

Guy400
05-08-2003, 05:17 AM
I must be one of the lucky ones. I smoked Cowboy Killers for about 3 years and then went to Marlboro Lights for almost 3 years. When I first started talking to my wife I discovered that she hated smoking. I quit on the spot and have been smoke-free for 3 years now. Although I did have a relapse about a month ago and split a pack of cigs with a friend of mine over the course of a weekend.

YLW400
05-08-2003, 05:28 AM
I quit one year ago this August. The hardest times for me, is when I am drinking beer...which is at least every other night. Some weeks it's every night (I like my beer)....lol. It is getting better though. Plus I don't smell like an ashtray, my chest doesnt feel like it's underneath a car in the morning...I smoked for about 12 years...It's tough, but you can do it dude.

lil400exman
05-08-2003, 05:49 AM
good do i smoking is the worst thing you can do man. It takes a stronger man to quit than give in and keep smokin;) :)

p@iNn3ck
05-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Man, more power to ya! It's tough to do, my wife quit before she got preg..... wasn't fun. Now she wants me to quit chewing....:(

:confused2
:scary:
:confused2

just can't seem to do it.

Pappy
05-08-2003, 06:36 AM
send me your unwanted packs:devil ill quit when i stop getting the free stuff:p

good luck man...i wish i had the will power:(

QuadTrix6
05-08-2003, 06:50 AM
good choice man good luck, stay strong :macho

Glow Plug
05-08-2003, 07:34 AM
good to hear, hope your can quit man :D

FastByDesign
05-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Ya good luck tryin to quit, but why did you start smoking in the first place?

sweet300ex
05-08-2003, 07:52 AM
good choice!

Instinctz
05-08-2003, 07:52 AM
I dont get what people think that quiting smoking is so ****ing hard. I quit marjuana like 20 times.. leaving 3 months in between..

Whats hard...

ridered86
05-08-2003, 07:58 AM
good job man, and i hope you are able to quit, now i just gotta get my mom to quit:ermm:

zephead400ex
05-08-2003, 09:05 AM
I smoked for about 6 1/2 years and wasnt very hard for me to quit! I do know that it is a lot harder for other ppl to quit but just have willpower and the right mind set and it will be all good!!

peace

skemp
05-08-2003, 01:44 PM
I have quit a few times now, and it can be very easy, of VERY hard. It helps a lot to have something to keep you occupied for about a week, or use the patch or something, but I haven't found those too helpful to tell you the truth. One thing that I have done three times now (just quit smoking again about 2 weeks ago) is chewing. Some people think its gross, but I like it better than smoking, and it helps ween you from the habit. Pretty soon here, I will just quit chewing since I am not very attached to it and be smoke free. It does keep coming back and haunting you though. They say that nicotine is more addictive than cocaine, just doesn't have the same symptoms. You can do it though! :cool: Don't give up!

Giz400ex
05-08-2003, 02:32 PM
I smoked for about 10years and I just got sick of it!! One of the main reasons was the $$$$. When it started to get over $4.50 it was starting to get costly and said the hel with it. But, those first couple of weeks are tough. You get edgy and your about to bounce your head of walls and stuff!! It can get pretty scary but if you can make it the first month, your all set!! Couple of months down the road, your gonna smell smoke and you'll probably want to hurl because of the smell!! I HATE going in bars and stuff because I know when go home, I'm just gonna stink of that crap!! To stop smoking is the best thing to do for yourself!! You'll feel alot better, you'll feel like you have more energy ect... Good luck with it!!:D

honda250xrider
05-08-2003, 02:35 PM
sorry but marijuana is not a addicitive drug like nicotine is, its more of you just want to smoke it unlike nicotine your body craves

Chanman420q
05-08-2003, 03:18 PM
im 15 and im not really proud to say but i smoke... i had my first one in 3rd grade :( it was tuff to watch my older brother and sister do it and wanna be cool like them... what was worste is they gave them to me. I didnt really start smoking on a regular basis til about 7th to 8th grade summer. not proud of this now. I wanna quit.. to much money. I was thinking about all the quad parts i coulda bought. Now its just like im a moody person. I didnt relise how i was atticted to them til i tried quitting.. its a sick story. I wanna quit now before i truely feel the effects of it

Glamis400ex
05-08-2003, 03:32 PM
I quit smoking like 9 months ago. I smoked a pack a day for 17 years. From ages 15 to 32. This is my 5th time trying to quit. I'm pretty sure I licked it this time.

Go to your doctor and ask him to help, trust me, he will be more than happy to give your all the help you want. He also tells me that it takes the average person 9 times to quit.:eek: So don't feel bad if you stumble, God knows I did...4 times earlier.

The first week or two, I'm sorry to say, will be miserable. It was for me anyway. You will be irritable, cranky, and maybe worse....but it will get better.

I made my wife put up with my stinky, filthy habit for 14 years. It got to the point where she wouldn't even kiss me...now that hurts.:( So that is my motivation, and the bedroom time is better and more frequent...That is a definate plus!!! And every day that I don't smoke I'm proud of myself, that I beat it for 1 more day.

Smoking only leads to horrible things later in life. My grandama died from lung cancer that migrated to her brain...that was not a pleasant experience. You may not feel it now...but you WILL. And by that time, it may be to late.

My doc tells me....If someone can quit smoking by the age of 35, no matter, how much they smoked, in 5 years after you quit, you have the same chances of getting lung cancer as someone who never smoked a day in their life. That's encouraging.

Sorry so long guys, STR8wicked, if you need to talk, I'm here for ya buddy. We are in the same boat right now.

Holla anytime dude.....

Glamis
Alin

Bean
05-08-2003, 04:34 PM
i have been smoking a pack a day since 8th grade, 10th now, and im tryin to slow down on menthols, kools are my favorite though, lights just dont pack the punch, but now i am noticing i need 2 packs a day, lol, and i am noticing more coughing and shortness of breath, but i would like to warn everyone that thinks about trying it, dont do it

SGA
05-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Glamis400ex
You hit the coffin nail on the head! (that was a pun)
Str8Wicked, hang in there, it can be done if you really want to. When you feel the urge to smoke, just sit in a quiet place and chill, the urge will pass in about 5 minutes, or go do something, if that works better for you. Its real hard, I was real cranky on and off, and sometimes i got kind of dizzy, well, I got dizzy alot. I handled it fair, but i kept telling myself, "you can do it". Then i was like, WTF, and went and bought a pack, just to crumple them up and throw them away. A brand new box. Did that about 8-10 times. Sometimes at 2 in the morning. got out of bed, got dressed and went to the store, bought them, cussed at my self, and crushed them up. Lost my temper bad a few times too. Threw my cell phone down the driveway hard as I could, and a few other things like that. I remember the day, about two weeks after I stopped, someone was next to me that smoked, and god they stunk! I was like, "I smelled like that?" Nasty! I have quit so many times, played all the head games, promises to myself, etc, that its not even funny.
Good luck man, its a real B**** to quit, But you can do it, if you REALLY want to. Hit me on aim if you want to talk. sgafixer.

SGA
05-08-2003, 05:34 PM
OH, i'm not gonna lie to you, I slipped awhile back and started smoking again. Just had one, one wont hurt. BS. One went to two, then to three, then a pack a day. Do not cave and have even one, or your done for. I have been cutting way back, and theres a good chance I will throw the baste*ds out the window this weekend. I have had enough.

RIDER11X
05-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Good luck to all of you! I just had a relapse myself for about a month. I really like smoking, but I don't want the bad effects on my health! Anyone know of some healthy smokes?:rolleyes:

So, I'm quitting again after not having to quit since like 93'. It is really tough to do again. I eat white Tic Tacs when I get a craving. It worked last time, after eating a case of them probably.:rolleyes:

Stick to quitting, your loved ones would rather have you grouchy for a while, than lose you to the effects of smoking.

Mx300exRyder
05-08-2003, 07:13 PM
I have been smokeing since I was 11, I am 21 now. I was stealing them from my dad untill I got cought as a freshman. He quit on the spot. I had a bad accident in october and I couldnt work, couldnt get up, and couldnt smoke in the house and they wouldnt let me wheel my self out side to smoke. I had to quit on the spot. I got real sick from the nicotine with draw. I started back up in Jan. but I wish I didnt. I have tried to cut back, but it only works for about a week or 2 then I started back to a pack a day. If you feel that stuff is woking I would like to know so I can try it too. The only thing that seems to keep me from smoking is riding quads and my motocycle. I think that is because it takes my mind off of things and I have a helmet on (hard to smoke with a full face helmet). If I could ride full time I could quit easly.

SGA
05-09-2003, 03:51 AM
I got to thinking about this. I dont drink anymore, I dont drug, I keep my pants up, obey all laws and curse very little. Smoking is probably the only bad thing i do anymore. Heck, the highlite of my week was spraying weed killer on the lawn. I might as well climb in a easychair and throw a blanket over my legs. I'm done for.:D

blondie69
05-09-2003, 04:04 AM
quit now if u can!

my best friends dad had like 4 heart attacks. trust me if u have a family it really tears them up when u get carried away in an ambulance. and every time he had a heart attack it was either a few days before her b-day or a few days after. but he hasn't smoked since his last heart attack....over 2 months ago

i have quite a few friends that smoke and they haven't tried to quit smokin and they don't plan on it. and i've noticed something....there dead outa money cuz of it. there always askin me if i have like a bit of money to loan em and i'm like "sure i do but i'm not givin it to u to buy smokes". Both of my grandmothers smoke and whenever i go to their place and come home i always smell like cigg smoke and i don't excatly like it. ppls don't like hanging round that crap cuz the 2nd hand smoke can kill a person too. and the companys keep on jackin the prices up because they know there suckering ppls outa their money and they know they will buy it because they have them addicted.

but do whatever u can to quit....1 of my uncles are takin hypnosis to quit:eek2: for like 12 sessions its like $500. he says there workin. but not every person can afford that....he has like alota money...i jus met him for the 1st time in my life like 1 month ago.

but anyways.....good luck!!:D

05-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I got to thinking about this. I dont drink anymore, I dont drug, I keep my pants up, obey all laws and curse very little. Smoking is probably the only bad thing i do anymore. Heck, the highlite of my week was spraying weed killer on the lawn. I might as well climb in a easychair and throw a blanket over my legs. I'm done for.:D

I was thinking about that and maybe you be better off to swap smoking for all those other vises cause there more fun and hurt you less plus there easier to quit.

For those comparing Coke and pot your off base a little try to compare it more to heroine cause the others just dont have the same hold on you physically.

toomeyshee87
05-09-2003, 05:01 PM
man, hearing all these stories makes me want to quit, im only 14 so i only do it occasionally, at parties and stuff but my dad smokes. he has since he was my age and it makes me think that he could die from it when ever he lights up another one, i hate it when his eyes are all red or when he coughs alot. that is why i only do it once and awhile. im gonna try not to do it at all tho.

rdmex
05-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I'll be straight up honest with ya, I used to smoke, It was only for a few months, i no longer do it, i thin its disguisting. I also quit drinking alcohol, i got it too much trouble with it. i still smoke something, just not cig's, and i dont do it much, but its hte only thing i do.

quaddict53
05-10-2003, 05:51 AM
Good luck to everyone thats tryin to kick the habit. If i ever started smokin my girlfriend would castrate me...lol....:eek2: ...seriously though, good luck guys stay strong.

Glamis400ex
05-10-2003, 06:04 AM
For all you youngsters, take it from someone who has struggled HARD with smoking for well over 13 years..Dont' even try it, not once. It is so incredibly difficult to kick if it gets it's meathooks in you. I wish I had never started. Possibly thee single worst thing you can do to jeapardize your health. I spent well over $30K in ciggs in 13+ years. No chit....

Lots professionals say is as hard to quit as heroin.

It got to the point for me that, I realized I would be dependent on an oxygen tank, emphasema takes any breath you have away, and then there's the cancer thing. I didn't want to saddled with throat, lung , tongue or any other cancer.

This is very real folks....quit smoking now if you havent already.

Glamis

skinrider440
05-10-2003, 06:13 AM
my grandma smoked for 30 years and then she quit then 5 yrs latr she got emphasema 5 yrs ago. My grandpa and her have been to all 48 states that touch one another on their motorcycle and now he has sold it cuz my grandma can't go anywhere without Oxygen bottle.

i second hand smoke about 1 1/2 packs a day from working w/ my dad

and to help to situation i have been dipping for 8 years now at about 1 can a day

so if at all possible quit smoking and all that stuff cuz you might end up like my grandma and not get to ride when you get older

Rip_Tear
05-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Good luck! I hate that smell too!

I have a really good deterent (for myself only though..) Its DEATH. When I got my ashma checked for the first time, the doct said, please tell me you smoke, they figured if I did atleast that would give a reason for short breath etc, and the figure if I did I would pretty much die on the spot, my lungs wouldn't be able to take it. Its all I can do to jog 300m (with out a puffer). I am in pretty good shape, and now I have to take steroids for my lungs so they will get stronger!

(sorry for that message just thought I would tell ya)

honda400exrider
05-10-2003, 12:29 PM
I hope you can quit. My sister smokes like two packs a day when shes stressed out and is 20 and has been smoking since 13. I am 13 and smoke once in a while, like a couple cigarettes a month, but am definitely not addicted, just like it with beer. I smoke weed once in a while too, but i'm glad im not addicted to anything and would like to stay that way...