PDA

View Full Version : SOMEONE PLZ HELP MY 400ex keeps blowing fuses

SmN
05-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Hey guys whats up , i just became a memebr the other day and i own a 2002 400ex, i can't figure out why it keep blowing fuses, im runing 15amp blue fuses and there are no chaifed wires that i can see anyway that are shorting it out but as soon as i cahnge the old fuce and turn the key on it blows again. Someone please help me out these are the mods i have done.

2002 400ex
uni filter
block off plate
full eseries pro meg
155main jet installed

Rip_Tear
05-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Double check all the connections (including the ground, you may have to clean it off so its not rusty etc, that may help) not exactly sure though, check for water on the electrical too.

WHere in Canada are you from?

SmN
05-07-2003, 11:34 AM
i live in nova scotia, u
?

lil400exman
05-08-2003, 06:11 AM
take it to the dealer! its brand new so just take her back!;)

Dune Surfer
05-08-2003, 08:54 AM
If it's new take it to the dealer. Mine was doing the same thing. It was the terminal on the battery DUH. Check the positive battery terminal they come loose often!!

Rip_Tear
05-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Ontario :D
It says where you live...

about
<----here :D

SmN
05-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Hey guys, i still cant figure it out and the bike isnt under warranty anymore so i cant take it to dealer, i check the hole elctrical system and made sure nothing was grounding out all connections are tight, nothing chaifed, does anyone know if it could be the voltage regulato charging the battery to high of voltage which is blowing the fuses when the bike warms up? Should i buy a new one? Does anyone have 1? Thanks Guys PLease help,:confused:

Rip_Tear
05-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Weird, I'd just put a bigger fuse in it (not a lot bigger) and see if it still blows, but I don't know about the rest of that... Sorry.

Dune Surfer
05-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Before I would start buying parts that it might be I would take it to a auto electric shop or the dealer and have the problem found . Most places here are 35-50 per hour. Let them spend an hour trying.

MX250r
05-09-2003, 07:03 PM
I'll save you $30.00 if you want me to tell you the answer???

J/K..........Here is what you do.

Take off your front plastics and inspect the two wires that go into the back of your headlights. One or possibly both wires will have the rubber coating worn off of them due to the rubbing against the medal housing they run through. You will see BARE WIRE!!!! It is shorting out and blowing fuses. Take some electrical tape and rap the sh** out of it or buy some plastic wire housing and do the same thing. Then just put it all back together and you will be ready to race, Hopefully you race...!!!!J/K;)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MX250r
05-09-2003, 07:04 PM
If it's new take it to the dealer. Mine was doing the same thing. It was the terminal on the battery DUH. Check the positive battery terminal they come loose often!!

That wont blow fuses. What does is the headlight wires shorting out against the frame.

norrisboat
05-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Mx250r is right. It is a somewhat common problem with the 2002 400ex. I was having the same issue with mine. I just recently put in a forum a few days ago for the same thing. If you go back in the history in powertrain you can find people saying the same thing about the headlights.

Dune Surfer
05-10-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by MX250r
That wont blow fuses. What does is the headlight wires shorting out against the frame.

Yes it will!! It did on mine and also other people on this forum. I found the answer by reading other post here.:D

SmN
05-10-2003, 10:47 AM
you guys are great i tore it apart this mornign and it was exactly that proble i taped up and works great again, thanks

2000400EX
05-10-2003, 11:17 AM
SmN,

I know this is a little off topic but, how do you like the e-series pro meg system? Did it make big difference in the power of the quad? How many discs are you using? My EX is setup like yours (stock motor, aftermarket air filter) and I was looking into the same exhaust, but most guys say that the pro-meg system is for quads that have motor work done to them. I am just curious to see what kind of power gains (low end, top end, or through entire power band) you saw from yours. Thanks in advance!

400exbiggun
05-10-2003, 12:31 PM
ok, here is a q. what is that blue (i think it is light blue) wire that goes to the left headlight(if ya are sitting on it) is that the ground. i found that totally frayed, and i moved it away, and now when i put it on high beam, it no longer blows fuses. how do you repair that wire. there is not enough wire to wrap them together?

SmN
05-10-2003, 01:49 PM
wrap it in black elec. tape, then tape together and your off, thanks

SmN
05-10-2003, 01:52 PM
it works great i'm actually selling my ex although i dont want to and i am also selling the full pipe, if you want it let me know and ill send pics otherwise its going on ebay, i found a little diff in bottom but the most mid-top end, all i got is 155main jet and an airfilter, it was a huge difference and sounds bomb, i would like to get 300.00us for the full system, the silencer is a little diged up but i got pics so let me know, thanks Shaun