PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting auto clutch's

dads400ex
12-28-2001, 12:46 PM
I was wondering about adjusting the clutch's on my boy's quads and the manual says to turn the adjusters counter clockwise until resistance is felt then turn it back 1/4 turn clockwise, this is on the 2002 250ex and 90 quads. Does anybody know which way actually would make the clutch tighter, clockwise or counter clockwise, because the 90 seems to have a little to much slip in it when taking off.

Thanks,
dads400ex

Leo
12-28-2001, 09:17 PM
most auto's have 2 clutches...

1 centrifugal (like a go-kart)
2 manual (hooked to the gearshift linkage)

really all the adjuster does is change the free play between the shift lever + the manual clutch...

the only time that would be a problem is if there is to little free play, keeping the manual clutch slightly disengaged all the time. It's not beyond reason that the clutches have worn slightly, and there isn't enough free play, so it's keeping the clutch partially disengaged all the time.

I'd just adjust it by the book and see what you get.

If it still slips when taking off from a start you have to rip into the motor and see which clutch pack is worn (the manual or centrifugal) and repair as needed.

Leo

Leo
12-28-2001, 09:18 PM
didn't notice in your sig that it's a '02....

I'd let the dealer worry about it :)

Leo

4punksdad
12-29-2001, 02:51 PM
I agree with leo..........should be too soon to need any clutch adjustment on a new machine. if it is out of adjustment, the dealer should handle it.