PDA

View Full Version : No oil Plz help!!!

400exmanmanman
05-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Can someone tell me how to check the oil in my 400ex? I just got it and Hva en o Idea how!!!!

Texan32
05-06-2003, 01:24 PM
The book says some thing like...start it and let it idle for approx. 5 minutes (or until it reaches operating temp). Turn it off and wait another 5 minutes. Then check the dipstick. Its a little tricky getting a true reading on dry-sump oil systems. Since you just got the machine, i would recommend going ahead and doing an oil change on it. If you are unsure how to properly change it, here ya go http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/oil.html

A filter and some good oil won't set you back too bad...better than smoking an engine;) For oil, alot of us here are running Mobile 1 20w-50. I have been running ti for about a year and have NOT had ANY troubles with it.

Just suggestions....take it for what its worth

Dirt
05-06-2003, 03:55 PM
How to check 400ex oil:

1st=Let it get up to temp say ride it for 5 mins or let it idle a few mins. No biggy just get the oil heat up alittle esp. if it is like -20 out, but in summer just start it and let it warm up like you always should before riding it.

2nd=On level ground leave quad running for like a min at idle. Idle not play with the throttle. That tank thing in front of your engine is the oil reservoir. With quad at idle remove the oil dipstick from the reservoir and clean it with a clean rag. Without screwing the dipstick in, put it back into the reservoir as far as you can and remove and check. The oil should be half way up the cross hatched section, and not below or above the hatch..

JOEX
05-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:
1. Make sure the vehical is on level ground.
2. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let it idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperatures is below 10*C (50*F), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (atotal of 10 minutes).
3. Stop the engine.
4. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil level should be between the upper level mark and the lower level mark on the dipstick.
6. If required, add the specified oil into the filler cap hole, up to the upper level mark on the dipstick. Do not over fill.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap dipstick.

CAUTION:
Running the engiine with the improper oil level can cause serious engine damage.

shamisc
05-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Dirt
How to check 400ex oil:

1st=Let it get up to temp say ride it for 5 mins or let it idle a few mins. No biggy just get the oil heat up alittle esp. if it is like -20 out, but in summer just start it and let it warm up like you always should before riding it.

2nd=On level ground leave quad running for like a min at idle. Idle not play with the throttle. That tank thing in front of your engine is the oil reservoir. With quad at idle remove the oil dipstick from the reservoir and clean it with a clean rag. Without screwing the dipstick in, put it back into the reservoir as far as you can and remove and check. The oil should be half way up the cross hatched section, and not below or above the hatch..

WITH QUAD AT IDLE REMOVE THE OIL DIPSTICK??? PLEASE DISREGARD THIS STATEMENT!!! THE OWNER'S MANUAL WILL GIVE YOU THE correct WAY TO CHECK OIL LEVEL!! I'm not saying this is wrong, I'm just saying that the manual is RIGHT!! NO FLAME INTENDED!!

05-06-2003, 05:14 PM
If you do remove the dip stick with the quad running could you please have some take a pic for us :D

Chef
05-06-2003, 05:16 PM
I've had no dipstick at WFO before on my 440....that oil stuck to the left rear plastic like none other! :eek:

Dirt
05-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Sorry. I didn't have the book in front of me and that was what I had remembered to be the correct way. It seems that you should turn off the quad before checking. Thanks for the correction JOEX.
Besides its a Honda, no need to check the oil just change it every few years and it will run great!:D