PDA

View Full Version : 250r topend quality?

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Hey, I have this in my parts supply from packages that I have bought.. what should I look for to see if it is bad, or un usable?

It has rust settlement inside of it, but it appears to just wash away by brushing it. Might not be rust, and just some dirt. I had carb the same way, I guess it sat outside in the dirt.

Other than that it is really smooth all over, the exaust port has some small dings, and ruff spots on the bottem of the exit port, right infront of where the pipe fits on.

Anyways, here is a pic that I just shot of it.. comments?

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 01:09 PM
No comments on how to tell quality... :(

F-16Guy
05-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Take it to your local machine shop. Have them clean it up, mic it for bore size and roundness, and check it for cracks (Magnaflux/dye penetrant?). It shouldn't cost much, and if you plan to use it, it's cheap insurance. The most important things to look for, IMO, are bore size/roundness and cracks-especially around water jackets. If there are cracks, machinist will find 'em. Good luck.

TRX_Thumper
05-06-2003, 03:43 PM
i would just run a hone down the cylinder a couple times remove the rust and then let someone measure it see what bore its on...then bore it to the next piston size...then take a dremel with a metal brush and get the rust out of the ports just very lightly clean them up then check for damage

300exazzkikr
05-07-2003, 02:04 AM
I would definitely hone it to get that brown stuff outta there. You could take a dremel and do your own porting job to clean up the ports if you so desire.

nuttynewt
05-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by TRX_Thumper
i would just run a hone down the cylinder a couple times remove the rust and then let someone measure it see what bore its on...then bore it to the next piston size...then take a dremel with a metal brush and get the rust out of the ports just very lightly clean them up then check for damage

There shouldn't be any rust in the ports - aluminum doesn't rust...

DeCap27
05-07-2003, 05:12 AM
take it to a machine shop like LRD performance.They can tapp
it and fix any crack. I would recommend New sleave or bore..

Peace OUt

second prowd owner
of 89 fully restored LT500R
15K$