PDA

View Full Version : Chain types?

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Well I guess it shows that I havnt had to buy a chain.. because I am kinda lost here. First I had to find out the size, which evidently is 520.. ok

Now are these just different qualities of chains, or do I HAVE to have a certain type for atc250r. Stupid question I know, but I never figured there was so many friggin types of chains..

Clip, Non-Sealed, Repair Kit, Rivet, Sealed? All options from dennis kirk.com, I would guess that sealed is just higher quality than the non, ect... But whats the best and what do you reccomend for ridin at the dunes?

anywhereEx
05-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Personally I prefer the DID X-RIng chain. Well woth the $

F-16Guy
05-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Yeah, get a quality o-ring type chain (such as the x-ring by DID). It comes pre-lubed, all of the lubrication for the chain is held in by the o-rings for the life of the chain. All you have to do is keep it clean and lightly lubricated on the outside to fight corrosion. Here more than anywhere else, you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap chain, and you WILL regret it--it will stretch like crazy, and eventually eat the teeth off your sprockets!!

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Ok thanks, I'll look into it.

Any other info about different types of chains, quality ect.. greatly appriciated! :D

JOEX
05-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Get new sprockets too. It is recommended to replace the chain and sprockets as a unit.:)

Joe

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 11:51 AM
yeah, im getting a new front sprocket for sure.. (chipped tooth, and they are all bent...) thanks for all the info, I think I'll just get that 520 DID 90 link (the one I have now is 90, and its too large for the swingarm at full adjustment).

Thanks for all the help! :macho